Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you mind if your supervisor or boss is younger than you?

Options
  • 27-02-2015 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

it bothered me a little bit in my last job, as my supervisor was 4 years younger than me. Even though I was better qualified, she still ran the show, mostly due to the fact that she was working there longer.it took a while to getting used to, she was 21, I was 25, and it became annoying after a while, particularly when she had her weaknesses, she could cover them up based on her position. I didn't like it, but there was nothing that I could do at the time.

Do you think that age is a problem,particularly when it comes to management positions? Do you think that there is a lack of responsibility involved with a younger supervisor?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No. At the moment they are not. They are 10 years + older tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not in the slightest. At one point I was much younger than the staff reporting to me. By the time I retired my managers were up to 25 years younger than me. I don't see why it should bother anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I don't think age is a problem, if the supervisor is qualified for the job and shows he/she is able to take up the responsibility. Age shouldn't be a measuring stick, that's childish if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My supervisor is God , he's older than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I had an apprentice who was 7 years my senior.

Thankfully that didn't put a chip on her shoulder so she learned and advanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

It makes no odds to me either way. Mind you I have never had someone younger than me as my manager. In all of my jobs so far I have been older than all of the staff I manage. In some cases thirty odd years. Staff have never had a problem with that, at least in so far as I know. But then I see myself as good manager of people and know how to deal with staff respectfully. Tis all about the team work to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

As along as its not a woman I don't mind. Women become power hungry maniacs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

My current boss is younger but I don't have an issue- why would I. He's a far smarter and more capable chap than I.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't think it would bother me if they were good at their job. But it would be more fuel on the rage fire if they were bad at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

4years is nothing op. You sound like somenoe she doesn't want on the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Last year I was 28, telling a man in his late 40s what to do and how to do it (working in software). I don't know how he felt, but I felt sad for him.

Later, I had to recommend letting him go, but (thankfully for my conscience) he left of his own accord for personal reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

If they have got the job fairly and know what they are doing, then no.

If they got it through nepotism or licking the right people, and are clueless, then yes. This happens a lot by the way, particularly in family run businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I had a years work placement from college and had staff 20 years my senior showing me the ropes, after leaving to finish college for a year I was back as their manager. I don't think it ever bothered anyone, I still have staff here 20-30 years my senior, no-one bats an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I couldn't help but think "I was on this earth before you were even a thought in your parents mind and you're ordering me around!?"

Age doesn't matter in the workplace though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I couldn't help but think "I was on this earth before you were even a thought in your parents mind and you're ordering me around!?"

Age doesn't matter in the workplace though
    Are you in the army? A good manager delegates responsibilities to and cooperates with their staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Irishguy16 wrote: »
    it bothered me a little bit in my last job, as my supervisor was 4 years younger than me. Even though I was better qualified, she still ran the show, mostly due to the fact that she was working there longer.it took a while to getting used to, she was 21, I was 25, and it became annoying after a while, particularly when she had her weaknesses, she could cover them up based on her position. I didn't like it, but there was nothing that I could do at the time.

Do you think that age is a problem,particularly when it comes to management positions? Do you think that there is a lack of responsibility involved with a younger supervisor?
    That is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Once they pay me I do not mind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Age doesn't matter. I ignore all bosses equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I instruct every so often and I find it's usually the older people who are more respectful and listen better than the younger ones. I know instructing isn't quite the same but it's still a position of power over someone and since not listening to me can put the students in a potentially very dangerous situation, I need to be respected. I've had one person younger than me who supposed she knew enough to start instructing me... Not sure if that was a tribute to my teaching that she felt so confident or a failing that she thought she knew more than she really did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

It wouldn't bother me...

I've been managing teams for over 10 years, I've been in my current job for over 2 years managing a large team and it's just dawned me that I'm the second youngest in the team.

It hasn't been an issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I am younger than the staff I manage, some of in their 60's. I always treat them with respect and fairness, and am a bit of a softy, better in the long term for an easy life.

Our group go out for meals and the last meal out I had to bring two of the oldies home as they got twisted on wine, that was a bit weird dropping drunk grannies home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

cassid wrote: »
    I am younger than the staff I manage, some of in their 60's. I always treat them with respect and fairness, and am a bit of a softy, better in the long term for an easy life.

Our group go out for meals and the last meal out I had to bring two of the oldies home as they got twisted on wine, that was a bit weird dropping drunk grannies home.

Oooooh a granny sandwich. Did they leave their teeth in?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

My current manager is a little younger than me, I never actually thought about that before. As long as they're competent in their job, I don't see that it would matter at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

cassid wrote: »
    I always treat them with respect
    Probably best not to call them
    drunk grannies
    to their faces of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I don't care what age they are so long as they are not a tit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Dont have a boss but I enjoy fresh blood coming into the organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭PNA

I prefer older , more experience

I thought we'd moved past this sort of thing.

Of course if I posted that about my male boss (who's an absolute dote) I'd be lit on for sexism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

If they're able to do the job, then I don't mind but there is nothing worse than taking orders off a incompetent numty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Stop with these kind of comments, please.

Advertisement