Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you mind if your supervisor or boss is younger than you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Not currently but in one of my previous positions I was trainee manager and majority of the staff were over fifty (over twice my age at the time) It didn't bother me until they complained about me doing too much work in the office so they had nothing to do :pac:
    One of the major issues I had in that job was that they were rather incompetent with computers and very slow dealing with customers because of it so I would try to do as much work as possible to keep things up to speed. I was on a salary and they got paid by the hour so I guess they didn't appreciate going home earlier....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I don't care if they're younger or older, male or female.

I'd equally have them killed in "mysterious" circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Irishguy16 wrote: »
    it bothered me a little bit in my last job, as my supervisor was 4 years younger than me. Even though I was better qualified, she still ran the show, mostly due to the fact that she was working there longer.it took a while to getting used to, she was 21, I was 25, and it became annoying after a while, particularly when she had her weaknesses, she could cover them up based on her position. I didn't like it, but there was nothing that I could do at the time.

Do you think that age is a problem,particularly when it comes to management positions? Do you think that there is a lack of responsibility involved with a younger supervisor?

If they have the maturity and skill that deserves authority I have no problem.
    If they have the theoretical knowledge but lack the practical application of it, I have a slight problem but nothing major; they need to grow into their shoes.
    If they have neither ability nor knowledge and status is big on their agenda, then I have a problem and it will come to a head.

I've never run from anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Stop with these kind of comments, please.

Don't know if this classes as "questioning a Mod's decision" but the poster is on to something. An Irish Professor wrote a book on what 'power' does to people's brains (the biological changes that occur from the perception of having more power) and he found that women seem to be more adversely affected by acquiring power than men. Reference will be posted in due course.

Whether the poster meant it as a genuine experiential comment or trolling is beyond my scope and I don't want to be drawn into that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Whether the poster meant it as a genuine experiential comment or trolling is beyond my scope and I don't want to be drawn into that.

Fair play for getting the little dig in in a subtle manner though. We'll just walk by that obviously reasonable opinion because there are links forthcoming that will prove the point beyond the possibility of further argument. Classy move. Can't fault it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Don't know if this classes as "questioning a Mod's decision" but the poster is on to something. An Irish Professor wrote a book on what 'power' does to people's brains (the biological changes that occur from the perception of having more power) and he found that women seem to be more adversely affected by acquiring power than men. Reference will be posted in due course.

mod note
    That still doesn't have any bearing on the topic at hand; it's about the age difference and not the gender. So we'll be leaving that discussion from this topic.

Advertisement