Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Road Kinvara 2015 - HM & 10K

Options
  • 27-02-2015 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

I'm doing the HM this year - I haven't done this one before - anyone else doing it? Looks like a lovely spot for a run.

I was looking at last year's thread and it got good reports - hope they keep some coffee and bananas for us slower finishers!

Long range weather forecast looks good too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Was really hoping to do this run this yr but can't make it... I know the area and the scenery will be great, Afaik it's a bit hilly but the finish levels off. Sold out now too as is the 10k. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

I'll be there - doing the half marathon. First time doing it as well.

Glad the forecast is looking good - was envisioning having to run this in driving sleet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭ratracer

The HM 1.30 pacers have dropped out, organisers are desperalty appealing for 2 pacers, free entry available I think! Check out their Facebook page/ website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I'm doing the 10k- have only done up to 5k this year in training so will have to do a few walk breaks. I've heard it's really well organised with nice food at the end- can the fast runners please save me a biscuit and cuppa!!

Best if luck tomorrow boys and girls...hope you all have a good one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I just checked the forecast - very windy (Gales) but dry and not cold. One step forwards, two steps back. Good luck all

Don't envy ye, was running directly into a headwind today, was not good and that was on flatish ground....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

kookiebrew wrote: »
    Don't envy ye, was running directly into a headwind today, was not good and that was on flatish ground....

Wind will be in yout face for first 4 miles....then a right turn for 2+miles with side on wind (and very exposed)... then right turn again and wind behind you all the way home.

Its still blowing a gale here with spots of rain. Not cold tho.

Doing the half so best of luck to everyone. Heard 1800 entries. Remember traffic can be mental getting out to it so give urselves plenty of time. Hope you all enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

Just did the 10k myself and really enjoyed it.
    Some amount of grub on offer after, all absolutely gorgeous.
    One or two things I found not so great (compared to 2 years ago, when I did it last) was a reduced number of portaloo's (didnt seem to be able to handle the crowds) as the queues were unbelievably long.
    Just one water station I thought was a bit shabby ... and finally, no water in the GAA ground for showers.
    Other than that, I had a great time and enjoyed the race.
    Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Just did the 10k myself and really enjoyed it.
    Some amount of grub on offer after, all absolutely gorgeous.
    One or two things I found not so great (compared to 2 years ago, when I did it last) was a reduced number of portaloo's (didnt seem to be able to handle the crowds) as the queues were unbelievably long.
    Just one water station I thought was a bit shabby ... and finally, no water in the GAA ground for showers.
    Other than that, I had a great time and enjoyed the race.
    Well done to all involved.

Thought the same myself about the portaloos but there was loads up at the community centre too..also in Londis...for the locals!! Very well organised. Stewards at every junction on the way in so traffic moved smooth enough. If only they could turn off the wind and I could run faster it would have been a bit easier. Great spread after, loads of physios and a lovely t-shirt as usual. Thanks Guys

• Advertisement

Is there no results up for this race yet?

I did the HM today - very tough conditions and that road just kept going up and up and up - very few downward sections!

Great t-shirt, medal and loved those fruit and nut packets in the goodie bag. Lovely friendly stewards and support too.

One gripe, and its one I have for every 10m+ race I've done recently. All the food was gone when I got back to the Registration Hall - I had travelled 2 hours each way for this race and was hoping to be fed and watered before heading home - perhaps they need to issue food vouchers for the runners in the goodie bags - that might stop the whole family helping themselves to all the spoils before the slower runners get back.

Lovely spot for a race, a lovely friendly town.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

results :)

Enjoyable event as usual, but understand the frustration of the food being eaten :) When I got there there was a few big lads(non participants) standing at the tables eating like a buffet :D:D

My only note for the organisers, and it is a small thing is the hall. Was poorly layed out and congested. No flow to it and random ques for massage..
    As I said, only a small bit of constructive criticism and really enjoyed it..

I'll see ye again next year again..

edit.. got sidetracked making that post and Kander got there ahead of me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I really enjoyed the 10k- thought it was well organised and good mix of abilities (I'm slow and there were lots of people at my speed so I wasn't alone at the back). Food was delicious. I think the plan was to have the food outside in a marquee but it was moved inside due to the wind. That might explain the overcrowded feel to the after party. My only niggle was the parking being so far from the registration. I actually walked an extra 5k between walking to register, back to car to dump bag, back to start line, then back to car afterwards. It was all good exercise though and there was plenty of parking for all who wanted it. Thank you organisers, I will be back next year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

Loads of photos from the HM and 10K routes up on their Facebook :)
    Great course, great run - one of my favourties :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

My first time there, did the half and really enjoyed it :-) Very windy alright but scenery was beautiful, route was flat and the top is lovely. Will be back!

Animella wrote: »
    .......route was flat and the top is lovely. ......!

err, first 5 mile was up hill, next 3 mile we were blown sideways, 3 mile down hill/flat and last 2 up a boreen. That isn't my idea of Flat. Top was great and I'm glad you enjoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

err, first 5 mile was up hill, next 3 mile we were blown sideways, 3 mile down hill/flat and last 2 up a boreen. That isn't my idea of Flat. Top was great and I'm glad you enjoyed

OK it was flat- ish!! I honestly didn't notice the gradient. I've only done two others and the first was the Connemara half last year when i was being blown backwards down a huge hill. It's all relative :-)

Advertisement