Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend fish for this tank

Options
  • 27-02-2015 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Hi all, have agreed to get a fish for my son (aged 3 1/2)
    Now I will be doing the work in relation to cleaning etc, but I am unsure what to get. A friend of mine gave me an old tank he had, roughly 24 " x 12 " x 15 " so I make that out as a 72L tank ?

I only have the tank,but he gave me a few ornaments such as plastic trees and other bits. So I will have to buy anything else required.

Any recommendations on what fish would be best suited to a tank this size?
    Haven't looked too much into the cold water/ warm warm types yet but just trying to do my homework before we buy something.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

glic83 wrote: »
    Hi all, have agreed to get a fish for my son (aged 3 1/2)
    Now I will be doing the work in relation to cleaning etc, but I am unsure what to get. A friend of mine gave me an old tank he had, roughly 24 " x 12 " x 15 " so I make that out as a 72L tank ?

I only have the tank,but he gave me a few ornaments such as plastic trees and other bits. So I will have to buy anything else required.

Any recommendations on what fish would be best suited to a tank this size?
    Haven't looked too much into the cold water/ warm warm types yet but just trying to do my homework before we buy something.
    Warm water
    Some guppies and a few neons. No more due to the size of the tank.

You'll need a filter, heater and some real plants for cover and a testing kit.
    The tank will need to be cycled before stocking to build up bacteria in the filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Best place to pick up the above mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Best place to pick up the above mentioned?

You can get the hardware online cheaper.
    The plants and fish I'd suggest the place in Britta's, between tallaght and blessington. Can't remember the name.(been a few years since I was there)
    It Will take about 2 weeks for it to cycle before plants and fish are introduced . its vital its done right.
    www.irishfishkeepers.com is good for info.

I'm based in Limerick so it would be in town and on-line I would be making my purchases, any thoughts on cold water fish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

You can get the hardware online cheaper.
    The plants and fish I'd suggest the place in Britta's, between tallaght and blessington. Can't remember the name.(been a few years since I was there)
    It Will take about 2 weeks for it to cycle before plants and fish are introduced . its vital its done right.
    www.irishfishkeepers.com is good for info.

Two weeks sounds like a very short amount of time. It usual takes a month minimum from my knowledge.
    I'm based in Limerick so it would be in town and on-line I would be making my purchases, any thoughts on cold water fish?

What cold water fish do you have in mind? Goldfish need 100L plus. Personally, I would go for guppies, neons or mollies.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    Two weeks sounds like a very short amount of time. It usual takes a month minimum from my knowledge.

What cold water fish do you have in mind? Goldfish need 100L plus. Personally, I would go for guppies, neons or mollies.

Tbh I don't know, we would have had a goldfish when I was a kid, I'm sure like many in a round plastic tank, with no filters etc.

I said he could get a fish but after doing a bit of reading I realise the set up that I had intended for a goldfish wouldn't be right so I decided against getting a goldfish, have registered on the site mentioned above just waiting on the account to be activated.

Didn't know about letting the tank cycle so its going to be another while before I can actually get the fish in the tank, just want to make sure I have it done right from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Tbh I don't know, we would have had a goldfish when I was a kid, I'm sure like many in a round plastic tank, with no filters etc.

I said he could get a fish but after doing a bit of reading I realise the set up that I had intended for a goldfish wouldn't be right so I decided against getting a goldfish, have registered on the site mentioned above just waiting on the account to be activated.

Didn't know about letting the tank cycle so its going to be another while before I can actually get the fish in the tank, just want to make sure I have it done right from the start.

Yeah, goldfish last for a long time and get really big. You can still have a really nice set up in a 75L tank with platys, mollies etc. Lovely colours.

Here is a link to a really good article explaining the nitrogen cycle and the stages of it. This really helped me when I was starting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Berserker wrote: »

Goldfish aren't suitable for a tank that size.

If you wanted coldwater fish you could put in about a dozen or so white cloud mountain minnows. Hardy little guys. Especially as it's for a 3 1/2 year old. They'll be fine in room temperature water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

There is a great place out in Castletroy in where SuperValu is, can't remember the name of the place but guy that runs it is very knowledagle and he would not set up astray

As poster said I would go with Neons and some Mollys / Guppies, maybe even a betta

Thanks for the help lads, I will try get out to the shopping centre in Castletroy tommorrow for a look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement