Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish army vs Irish Navy

Options
  • 27-02-2015 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi everyone,

I've been wanting to join the DF pretty much since I moved to Ireland, it just hasn't been appropriate in my life situation.

How ever, there is no longer any obstacles and I would be ready to apply to the DF (if, and when they do recruit during 2015...).
    The only thing that's bothering me now, is that I turn 25 in April and won't be able to go for the Army/Air Corps meaning my only choice would be the navy.

This is quite a bummer, as my ideal situation would be doing service abroad - working with people in areas where required.

What are the chances of actually being able to be stationed overseas if I were to join the naval forces?

Does anyone have any experience from the DF naval forces, if so - please do share.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lajtel

w ww.youtube.co m/watch?v=Fdg3aRYUabY

For example, in this video it is stated that it was both Air Corps and the Naval Services performing this operation.
    What part would the Naval Service actually have in this? Just transporting the soldiers to the target?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Join a real army or if you think your messed up in the head enough Islamic State will have you (Better pay too and weapons shocking stuff). The defence forces are like the scouts all they do is light fires and camp out. Also they have a **** arsenal of weapons. Europe's weakest link. They also limit the number of bullets you can shoot during training exercises.

As for the navy sure even Malta didn't want their junk vessel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Chris___ wrote: »
    Join a real army or if you think your messed up in the head enough Islamic State will have you (Better pay too and weapons shocking stuff). The defence forces are like the scouts all they do is light fires and camp out. Also they have a **** arsenal of weapons. Europe's weakest link. They also limit the number of bullets you can shoot during training exercises.

Anything to back up your claims? Lighting fires and restriction on bullets being fired?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭JamBur

You are an absolute misinformed idiot. I'll take the ban for this; You are a dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

A new poster here wants to wear the uniform of his adopted country, and he gets a smart-ass response like the one above.

OP - good for you!

Chris - get a life.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 lajtel

I'm not sure you understand for what reasons some people want to join the army.
    For me it's not the urge of living some sort of boy dream of experiencing some sort of computer game action in real life.

I want to take part in peace keeping operations, and doing so bearing the colors of a country that I feel at home in and feel that I would actually take some sort of pride in representing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

OP,

Best of luck getting in once recruitment starts.

Don't be dissuaded by only being able to join the Naval Service. It is a fine branch of the Defence Forces that do a lot of good tangible work.

You will still have an opportunity to serve overseas even as a Seaman. A small percentage of NS pers do get a chance to travel from time to time.

Mostly, you would be on sea going patrols. There are opportunities to go on long range patrols outside of sovereign waters. I believe the NS has travelled to some distant and exotic places in the past.

You may be able to transfer from the NS to the Army in a few years.

They might also be deployed under the EUNAVFOR umbrella in the future.

Best of luck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[Mod]The above has received a months' ban from this forum[/Mod]
    JamBur wrote: »
    You are a dickhead.

[Mod]Personal abuse, Infraction. [/Mod]

Not that it was an undeserved statement, in fairness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

This is prob a thick question, but it says between 18-25, is 25 too old then or what ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

depends on your DOB you have to be a certain age on or before a certain date - all that is on the military.ie website

• Advertisement
Advertisement