Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject To Licence

Options
  • 27-02-2015 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I see tickets are still being sold "subject to licence " how long will it take to sort this out, do we have to wait for another GB debacle ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

It's not being sorted out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Sure a licence is never refused, sure, be grand...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Hundreds of gigs a year are subject to license. One major one gets cancelled one year.

I don't see a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

The agreement with Croke Park gigs is that there's 3 per year and they've stuck to that this year so there shouldn't be much of an objection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

win2one wrote: »
    I see tickets are still being sold "subject to licence " how long will it take to sort this out, do we have to wait for another GB debacle ?

Its always been subject to licence, Garth Brooks mess a side I have never heard it being refused

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

JJ wrote: »
    The agreement with Croke Park gigs is that there's 3 per year and they've stuck to that this year so there shouldn't be much of an objection.

I doubt very much the OP is talking about the Croke Park gigs. They weren't referring to Croke Park concerts this year as the three that are going ahead are fine, therefore they're not subject to license.

See attached picture of Ed Sheeran ticket (no subject to license on the ticket - that goes for the first three concerts).

The OP is worried about some other concert that is subject to license.

As for that agreement, well they were within their rights to apply for more concerts. They got an extra three granted on top last year. Same in 2009, there were 4 concerts. That agreement is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I doubt very much the OP is talking about the Croke Park gigs. They weren't referring to Croke Park concerts this year as the three that are going ahead are fine, therefore they're not subject to license.

See attached picture of Ed Sheeran ticket (no subject to license on the ticket - that goes for the first three concerts).

The OP is worried about some other concert that is subject to license.

As for that agreement, well they were within their rights to apply for more concerts. They got an extra three granted on top last year. Same in 2009, there were 4 concerts. That agreement is nothing.
    no, you're wrong.

all public events over a certain size are subject to licence.
    all the Ed Sheeran gigs are subject to licence, just as Longitude, Electric Picnic, Forbidden Fruit etc etc will be.

no, you're wrong.

all public events over a certain size are subject to licence.
    all the Ed Sheeran gigs are subject to licence, just as Longitude, Electric Picnic, Forbidden Fruit etc etc will be.

Are you confusing the Ed Sheeran/Script gigs with an event management plan?

The first three over 5000 requires an event management plan. i.e. it goes to the HSE, fire safety, gardai etc etc etc

I posted a picture above with an Ed Sheeran ticket, it doesn't have "subject to license". Surely that's wrong, if its subject to license?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

and then a licence is granted/denied based on that event management plan.

all the Sheeran/Script gigs will have to be granted a licence to go ahead.

no, it's not wrong, it doesn't have to have it printed on the ticket. it's still a requirement that the licence is obtained before the gig goes ahead though.

and then a licence is granted/denied based on that event management plan.

all the Sheeran/Script gigs will have to be granted a licence to go ahead.

no, it's not wrong, it doesn't have to have it printed on the ticket. it's still a requirement that the licence is obtained before the gig goes ahead though.

You make sense. No such thing as a license before selling the tickets. There's still a license process to follow.

Sorry, it was me that was confused. So the OP may have been referring to these gigs after all.

But does that not leave it open to abuse to the Croke Park residents. It still has to go through the whole license process which is open for submissions/objections for five weeks after the event management plan is submitted. They want their bar, they haven't got it, they will do anything. Their claims have to be pretty good but its still open for abuse, and they have a city manager that will listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I think Croke Park is different as there is an automatic licence for three gigs per year. Other gigs can be staged there, but these would be subject to applying for and being granted additional licences.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/licensing-laws-see-us-lose-out-on-major-gigs-says-peter-aiken-315199.html

This came out on Saturday from Peter Aiken.

In summary

The Department of Environment is still reviewing the legislation governing concert licenses.

They have met the government and hopefully there will be changes. But nothing happens fast in this country. It could be another year before issues are dealt with.

They could have added another Ed Sheeran concert but they weren't going there.

Don't like the end, Garth Brooks would perform in Ireland in a heartbeat if the situation was sorted. But there's no guarantee after ticket sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,802 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Peter aiken in talking crap shocker.

Name one major gig this country lost out on since last years decision? There's still plenty of 50-80,000 gigs going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Peter aiken in talking crap shocker.

Name one major gig this country lost out on since last years decision? There's still plenty of 50-80,000 gigs going on.

You want a list of gigs that weren't announced?

Plenty of bands skip Ireland, it's annoying. Not saying this is the issue to sort that but if it helps I'm all for it

nm wrote: »
    You want a list of gigs that weren't announced?

Plenty of bands skip Ireland, it's annoying. Not saying this is the issue to sort that but if it helps I'm all for it

I know bands skip Ireland, I've had to fly over to the UK enough to see bands i like, and I don't agree with selling tickets without a licence either.

What I'm saying is aiken is saying Ireland is losing out on big gigs, but last i checked every band that's playing stadiums in the UK are also playing over here, ac/dc, foos, ed sheeran, the who, taylor swift, 1d etc... So what gigs are passing us by? I doubt he's referring to steel panther and alterbridge.

I wouldn't call 5 concerts at 50,000-80,000 plenty. 1 at slane, 3 at Croke Park, 1 at the Aviva.

The demand was there for five more last year, and it seems as if another Ed Sheeran gig this year. But that's OK, no way, turn them all away if there is an opportunity there.

I wouldn't call 5 concerts at 50,000-80,000 plenty. 1 at slane, 3 at Croke Park, 1 at the Aviva.

The demand was there for five more last year, and it seems as if another Ed Sheeran gig this year. But that's OK, no way, turn them all away if there is an opportunity there.

How many other bands can sell that many tickets who are touring and aren't playing Ireland? Let's look at London
    Playing Wembley
    Foo fighters 2 nights - playing slane, selling well but no demand for more nights.

Ac/dc-playing a one night spectacular, aviva is good for 3 gigs but only room for one night on the schedule.

Ed sheeran- playing here 2 nights in croker.

Hyde Park
    Blur- nothing announced but will probably headline ep

Taylor Swift- 3 sold out nights in the 3 arena

The who, playing dublin and Belfast, neither sold out.

So of all the bands playing stadiums in the UK the only one capable of selling one out here (Taylor swift) is still playing to 40, 000 people.

So tell me again what big gigs we've missed out on since the garth thing?

So according to you, because there is plenty of big concerts Peter Aiken is talking crap? So because of that things should remain the same here?

Next year, if things remain the same, or the year after, is it OK to lose out on major concerts.

As it is, after last year, we/they/concert goers already lost out on another Ed Sheeran concert. That's OK? We're not talking about 20 nights of concerts on the trot before you twist things and pretend that residents must be respected, stick to 3 concerts crap.

So according to you, because there is plenty of big concerts Peter Aiken is talking crap? So because of that things should remain the same here?

Next year, if things remain the same, or the year after, is it OK to lose out on major concerts.

As it is, after last year, we/they/concert goers already lost out on another Ed Sheeran concert. That's OK? We're not talking about 20 nights of concerts on the trot before you twist things and pretend that residents must be respected, stick to 3 concerts crap.

There are other places that gigs happen than cp.

This conversation has nothing to do with the residents, it has to do with the subject to license discussion. You've tried to twist it into a discussion about croke park residents (huge shock).

I've already said i don't think gigs should be allowed to sell tickets without a license, but i don't know what the solution is.

Every year dozens of outdoor events with more than 5000 people happen and will continue to happen, and unless the law is changed, they will be subject to license. Aiken himself was saying the system was grand till last year. If it's so flawed why wasn't he campaigning before then?

And as for me "thinking" (key word there, it's an opinion) aikens talking crap he says Garth would play here in a heartbeat, wasn't he saying last year Garth was booked through to 2017?

The ed sheeran thing? Don't the gaa claim that cp needs a week after gigs for the pitch to be playable? So a third ed gig on the Sunday isn't an option anyway with a possible dublin qf on august 1st so who's telling fibs?

Also to count yourself as a gig-goer you'd have to actually go to gigs, have you ever actually been at a concert.

Here you are twisting everything again rather than answer my question.

I made a point that concert goers already lost out on another Ed Sheeran concert. There was a possibility of four Croke Park concerts this year. Is four concerts OK with you? Or are you going to pretend residents must be respected and stick to 3.

Why hasn't he started campaigning before then? It was never brought to light until last year. What has that got to do with my point which you quoted?

He was saying Garth would play in a heartbeat, if the system wasn't so messed up. He's on tour, he won't drop everything in a heartbeat. Again, what has that got to do with my point above?

What has the pitch got to do with my point above?

Three non relevant things in which you twisted, nothing new there.

• Advertisement

You haven't asked a question, but I'll try and answer it.

Aiken said that they didn't put on a 3rd ed sheeran concert because of a fear of a residents backlash, however in that same interview he says 2 other things that contradict things he has said in the past, so i don't believe him (again, opinion)

There are literally dozens of reasons why concerts don't go ahead, maybe the gaa didn't wanna rent out croker that night, maybe ed didn't wanna top Wembley, maybe he wanted to go to coppers and get ****faced and didn't wanna play hungover. The fact is IF a 3rd gig was planned we'll never know why it didn't go ahead,

if ed sheeran said he put the brakes on a 3rd one because it might be cancelled your ramblings against the residents might have legs, but the cynic in me thinks aiken might have been making a political move.

But hey, that's just me "twisting things"

I didn't ask a question.

You know damn well what i wrote but you refused to answer it.

As it is, after last year, we/they/concert goers already lost out on another Ed Sheeran concert. That's OK?.... That was a question.

You seem to think its OK to turn away business because there's plenty happening already, 50-80,000 gigs. Quite a sick attitude to have.

I didn't ask a question.

You know damn well what i wrote but you refused to answer it.

As it is, after last year, we/they/concert goers already lost out on another Ed Sheeran concert. That's OK?.... That was a question.

You seem to think its OK to turn away business because there's plenty happening already, 50-80,000 gigs. Quite a sick attitude to have.

It's not a question because there is no proof it happened, understand??????

If you can present any proof that a 3rd ed sheeran gig was planned or any large band has skipped ireland because of this, I'll gladly listen, but you can't because it's not happening.

And don't say we, you haven't lost anything this year, you weren't going to ed sheeran.

There was still the possibility of four CP gigs this year.

From the link I provided

"However, Mr Aiken said the three gig limit at Croke Park means he can not stage a third Sheeran gig. We left a show behind us."

Your attitude is sickening.

There was still the possibility of four CP gigs this year.

From the link I provided

"However, Mr Aiken said the three gig limit at Croke Park means he can not stage a third Sheeran gig. We left a show behind us."

The 3 gig limit? How many gigs were allowed last year??

DCC allowed 6, what's your point.

DCC allowed 6, what's your point.

That there is no 3 gig limit, fairly simple point.

Point taken.

They could have went for 3 if they really wanted to but its still wide open to abuse.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/garth-fallout-laws-on-licences-315643.html

This came out today. There seems to be a first draft of these new licensing laws, or they're working on it which could be enacted by next month.

They're looking at issues such as minimum timeframes for a license application to a planning authority, and the making of a decision by a planning authority on the license application, public consultation arrangements on license applications and pre-application meetings with various parties.

No mention of tickets being sold subject to license as part of that. But they're going to have to look at the whole sorry mess that last year was and not just the above.

• Advertisement

If i was a cynical man, I'd say that aikens story of a 3rd ed sheeran gig was slightly exaggerated to speed through a change in the licensing laws, and if so it's worked perfectly.

If i was a cynical man.

Advertisement