Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blood poisoning in dogs-symptoms?

• 27-02-2015 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

Just wodnering, has anyone's dog ever been diagnosed with blood poisoning?
    I'm not looking for any medical advice mods, just info!!!!

Our elderly dog sleeps inside every night. He is the best dog in the world, the cleanest dog and just a little legend (not half biased ;) )

But this morning, we woke up to find he had gone to the toilet all over the kitchen. This is so uncharacteristic..he never even did it as a pup.
    And as well, he was groaning all weird, almost human like.
    When he went outside, it seemed like he had a kidney infection..straining to go to the toilet, and only little dribbles coming out.
    A couple of years ago, he had prostate cancer and the option we took was to get him castrated.

We brought him to the vet today and he diagnosed him with blood poisoning. We don;t know how this could have happened..he's rarely outside. Only time he goes out is to go to the toilet, and even then its a quick job.

But I did the thing that I know I shouldn't have, and googled it. He has all the symptoms of prostate cancer (again).
    Just wondering, has anyone else's dog ever gotten blood poising, and if so, what were the symptoms?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

berger89 wrote: »
    Just wodnering, has anyone's dog ever been diagnosed with blood poisoning?
    I'm not looking for any medical advice mods, just info!!!!

Our elderly dog sleeps inside every night. He is the best dog in the world, the cleanest dog and just a little legend (not half biased ;) )

But this morning, we woke up to find he had gone to the toilet all over the kitchen. This is so uncharacteristic..he never even did it as a pup.
    And as well, he was groaning all weird, almost human like.
    When he went outside, it seemed like he had a kidney infection..straining to go to the toilet, and only little dribbles coming out.
    A couple of years ago, he had prostate cancer and the option we took was to get him castrated.

We brought him to the vet today and he diagnosed him with blood poisoning. We don;t know how this could have happened..he's rarely outside. Only time he goes out is to go to the toilet, and even then its a quick job.

But I did the thing that I know I shouldn't have, and googled it. He has all the symptoms of prostate cancer (again).
    Just wondering, has anyone else's dog ever gotten blood poising, and if so, what were the symptoms?
    Thanks

Only thing that will put your mind at ease is a second opinion. There's no way of knowing without tests or samples being analysed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

vet said he had blood in his urine.
    he didn't do any blood samples. he did a rectal, and checked his eyes etc, but he seemed confident it was blood poisoning :/ i don't understand how
    and he gave him 2 injections

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are you in a rural area?

If you are get a second opinion, travel if you have to

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you in a rural area?

If you are get a second opinion, travel if you have to

+1
    I would not be happy without blood analyses... I'm assuming he did urinalysis if he knew there was blood in the urine.
    Blood poisoning? It's very vague, isn't it? There are a lot of different reasons why there might be blood in the urine, and I wouldn't be happy with the vagueness of the diagnosis either.
    I hope the little fella will be ok :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Yup I'm in a rural area, only 2 vets in the local town. :/
    Yup as far as I know, he did a test using litmus paper I think? (my parents brought him so I can only go by what they told me when they returned)
    thing is, my father was saying he probably got it off rats..but he's NEVER outside..well, just to go to the toilet. he doesn't hunt anymore, he doesn't go rooting ion the garden. he;s riddled with arthritis, so he's just not able.
    The vet gave tablets to my parents, and I checked them on the internet and they are for "urinary tract infection".
    He is old…so maybe its old age too? But it just happened so sudden, he was grand yesterday. Or maybe this had been building up over a period of time, and we didm;t know?

maybe a 2nd opinion is a good idea, thanks lads

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

berger89 wrote: »
    Yup as far as I know, he did a test using litmus paper I think?

Most likely it was urinalysis dipsticks he used, which I suppose at a glance could be confused with litmus paper, only these have a number of different coloured squares on them which change colour for different readings. There's a square on it that shows if there's blood in the urine.
    Unfortunately, neutered dogs are not immune to prostate problems, but don't panic just yet. If there's no improvement over the weekend, get him to another vet :)

Advertisement