Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 OEM activation

• 28-02-2015 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭

Im sure this has been asked before and I did a search but couldnt find a specific answer to it.

I have a laptop that was running slow after 4-5 years, so I figured a clean install would help, which it did. Problem is, the COA on the bottom of the laptop is completely faded so was no way of getting the product ID and cd key from it. I used a program ( I forget which) to retrieve this information before wiping the laptop. Upon reinstalling windows 7 I didnt activate and today the 30 days are up and when I tried to activate using the keys I have its saying invalid key. (After some research it turns out the key I retrieved is an OEM SLP and not the actual key that was on the now faded COA)

I got on to microsoft using their chat function, and the guy tells me that the OEM (in this case Acer) has blocked the key and I have to talk to them, theres nothing microsoft can do for me apart from selling me a retail version of windows 7. I said no thanks, not in the mood to pay for something thats already been paid for before.

Also, when I reinstalled windows I did so using a USB and microsoft's USB tool from their website, which Ive now been told is a retail version and Id need an OEM version for it to work.

I looked at acer's website, but they charge you to talk to them for products thats out of warranty.

Is there anything else I can do to activate my already paid for windows 7? Ive read that calling microsoft and explaining the situation has worked for some people but it could take multiple calls to get the right person to oblige. Before I go through all that effort though Id like to know is there anything else that can be done to activate this? Or is there a way of getting a Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM install to try?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Have you tried the telephone activation? It is an automated service. I have often had to use it after reinstalling when the key from the sticker is rejected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Was re-installing w7 recently & key would not activate, via google advised to try the following, in the 'run' command box type slui 4 & follow the instructions.
    It will generate a series of 9 sets of numbers, phone one of the tel. numbers & enter the 9 sets when prompted, if all is good it will activate for you. In my case it still did not activate as my oem version of 7 had been installed too many times, so I entered it all again & got to speak to a customer service guy, after telling him I was re-installing after a hard drive failure he activated it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭jos22

mydigitallife has OEM iso etc of different windows versions.
    use one recently to re active a Dell oem key on new install as the old HDD failed, with out an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

jos22 wrote: »
    mydigitallife has OEM iso etc of different windows versions.
    Not any more they don't, they've been taken down unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭peking97

They seem to be available here but I can't vouch for their authenticity!:-
    http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-7-professional-free-download-iso-32-bit-64-bit/

• Advertisement
Advertisement