Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

YOUR FAVOURITE Total War game

• 28-02-2015 1:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

Look at them. There's loads, now. And they're all pretty fantastic to say the least. I'm interested in finding out other people's favourite so I've conducted a poll here.

Personally Shogun 2 has been an utter treat for me. 40 hours and counting since I got it a few months ago. (I had a really outdated computer up until then)

Your Favourite Total War Game (Main series) 54 votes

Shogun (2000)
    1% 1 vote
    Medieval (2002)
    5% 3 votes
    Rome (2004)
    9% 5 votes
    Medieval II (2006)
    33% 18 votes
    Empire (2009)
    16% 9 votes
    Napoleon (2010)
    11% 6 votes
    Shogun 2 (2011)
    1% 1 vote
    Rome II (2013)
    18% 10 votes
    Attila (2015)
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Rome
    Shogun 2
    Attila

In that order.

I spent so, so many hours playing the first Rome. It was exceptional for its time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Attila already? Nice :P I'm chopping between Rome II, Shogun 2 and Attila at the moment. Finding it hard to stay on one but Shogun 2 is just, for me, awh, gorgeous! Can't compliment it enough I just love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Never played a total war game.

no option for that.

dreamers75 wrote: »

no option for that.

Well I assumed Total War fans would be on this thread?..... Sorry.. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Only ever played the first rome, the 2nd medieval and shogun

Hated shogun (mainly because all the characters names where Japanese so I didn't care if one died off or who took power because I'd instantly forget who they were. Yes I know I should of expected Japanese names from that era :L

Loved Rome but preferred medieval

I won't vote yet though until I get the new one and rome 2, but so far medieval 2 is top by just a small notch, rome is a very close 2nd :)

Is empire total war worth getting? always loved that era in history but I couldnt see it working in the total war series properly because it be like having archers against archers all the time :/

• Advertisement

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Only ever played the first rome, the 2nd medieval and shogun

Hated shogun (mainly because all the characters names where Japanese so I didn't care if one died off or who took power because I'd instantly forget who they were. Yes I know I should of expected Japanese names from that era :L

Loved Rome but preferred medieval

I won't vote yet though until I get the new one and rome 2, but so far medieval 2 is top by just a small notch, rome is a very close 2nd :)

Is empire total war worth getting? always loved that era in history but I couldnt see it working in the total war series properly because it be like having archers against archers all the time :/

Medieval II is class. I especially loved the Britannica expansion, where I could play as Scotland :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Rome 2 - 485 hours :D

I know many people hated it, but after about 8 months it turned into a fantastic game. The scale of the game is just immense. Attila is going to be special also, it's had a really good release and there's plenty of content to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Kirby wrote: »
    Rome
    Shogun 2
    Attila

In that order.

I spent so, so many hours playing the first Rome. It was exceptional for its time.

Same here, although i havent forked out for Attila yet, spent years on the original Rome. The original Shogun would be on my top three games too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Medieval II, by a long way. Captured my interest much more than Rome did. I haven't managed to get into any TW game since to the extent of either of those.

Maybe buying Empire on release scarred me too badly. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Rome I by a ways. Havent actually played the last two in the series yet. I heard Rome II was a mess at launch so avoided it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I've played:

Shogun 2
    Medieval 2
    Rome 2

Really enjoyed Shogun since I love Samurai stuff. Played the an entire campaign in co-op with a mate and it was a blast.

Medieval 2 was also fun but in a different way. It felt much larger and you could really get the feeling that you were controlling a nation and not some small village.

Rome 2 i stopped playing after 1 hour and haven't gone back. It was a mess at launch and ran like crap on my 6970. Its supposedly been patched but i'm still going to wait till i pick up my 970 in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have played the first 3 games but I own the first 7 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Voted Shogun 2 but it's close between Medieval 2 and that.
    Empire may have been third but a distant third, and I've never liked either Rome game.

Really looking forward to the War Hammer Total war game.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Empire has a special place in my heart as it was the first Total War I got. It was a good bit after launch so I never came across many bugs. Just loved the scope and time period.

Second favorite is a toss up between Medieval 2 and Shogun 2, with Medieval 2 probably nudging it thanks to the Third Age (LOTR) mod.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Shogun 2 and medieval 2 for me, trying to give Rome 2 another shot, empire and napoleon were huge disappointments for me :mad:, never played the original shogun and as for Rome 1 I never got into it unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Toss up between Rome or Napoleon. Two periods I love.

If I absolutely have to pick one, it'll be Napoleon, because Rome ends up being too easy once that Marian reforms kick in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

A lot of people despised Empire: Total War but I have to say that I really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

dreamers75 wrote: »

no option for that.

never understood why people come into a thread to specifically not answer the question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Shogun 2, love that era in japan.

When they added the fall of the samurai expansion to shogun 2 i was in heaven. There was nothing more satisfying than to take my armies of die hard samurai and use the map to my advantage to get as close to the rifle/cannon wielding enemy as possible before unleashing the fury. Oh how the riflemen shat themselves once the samurai closed the distance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

A lot of people despised Empire: Total War but I have to say that I really enjoyed it.
    I didnt despise it, i liked the idea etc, but the implementation was a bit messed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Empires big problem was the way they handled towns and their buildings, spread out on the map. Realistic? Absolutely. But not fun to play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I didnt despise it, i liked the idea etc, but the implementation was a bit messed up.

Ya I wouldn't say I hated it , it felt like an empty game, really boring too play.

Did you play it at release or later? It was patched up nicely similar to Rome 2 but it was a buggy mess on launch (arguably in a worse state than Rome 2).

I do enjoy Empire when I finally get a good tempo going. I only ever played as the Brits. However I find it hard to manage two continents. I could be doing well in Europe then I forget that I have bases and towns in America so I get a bit lost. It definitely is a lot different to play compared to every other one (that and Napoleon).

I would never say I hated a Total War game. Just some installments have me more addicted than others

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Packoman

Probably Rome but voted for Medieval II due to hotseat and amazing mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Me too.

I loved the scope and the period.

And as for bugs, I can't recall any that I came up against, yet people harp on about them all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Empire for me....

I wish the Napoleon improvements had been back-updated to Empire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Packoman wrote: »
    Probably Rome but voted for Medieval II due to hotseat and amazing mods.

Same. Third Age in particular stole months of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The war hammer total game is probably my most anticipated PC game.

While relic were rather sparse on the factions they included in each game/expansion, I think Creative Assembly will really pack it with them. Probably not the very obscure ones but it'll be at least 5 (empire, chaos, greens, elves, dwarves).

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    The war hammer total game is probably my most anticipated PC game.

While relic were rather sparse on the factions they included in each game/expansion, I think Creative Assembly will really pack it with them. Probably not the very obscure ones but it'll be at least 5 (empire, chaos, greens, elves, dwarves).

I'd instantly buy a decent remaster of Dark Omen or similar. I'm really looking forward to the CA Warhammer game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I own them all in my steam library, but I'd say the original Shogun and then Rome stick out for me.

total war games are what got my Dad into gaming, and we had endless hours together, on the one PC, playing the original Shogun. He was the history freak, I knew how to use the mouse and keyboard, and we had endless hours together him making the tactical decisions in battle and me carrying them out.

Quickly led to me buying my own PC since I could barely get time to play other games :D

My Dad still plays all the Total War games, but I'd say the Origins Shogun and then Rome stand out for just mindblowing titles at the time I played them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Rome
    Medieval 2

and then a long way to the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Brainfarted and clicked Medieval 1 instead of 2. Ever since then they've been the same old shyte.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The original Shogun or Rome were by far my favourite. Pumped a huge amount of hours into them, especially Rome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Have played them all bar Attila , for a large large number of hours. They're all pretty excellent, even Rome 2 (these days).

Medieval 2 is my favourite one so far. It just has more personality to it, more factions (it feels like) and the era interests me more than Rome or Shogun for example.

Napoleon come in after that, but that's just because I love the era and the weaponry/tactics of the time.

I do miss the assassination videos from Shogun 1 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Own Medieval, Rome, Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2, but have only played the first two - voted for Rome. Really want to try Shogun 2 at least, before moving on to Rome 2. Given the three I haven't played, is there any point messing around with Empire or Napoleon ahead of Shogun 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The first Shogun, mainly because I was mad about samurai and the takeda clan back then. Probably still have the box somewhere

Tried the first Rome too but the scale just kills me, I'm constantly thinking "jesus, do I have to do EVERYTHING in this bloody empire?"

that said, total war played through a projector onto a white wall is class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

I've played them all bar Attila and tbh it's a tough call.

I loved the old risk-style map, medieval in particular was awesome. I remember rushing to the holy lands as France to build the Krak de Chevaliers and then getting landed with the Mongols which I held off on a bridge tile. Ended up going to bed with the battle paused, think it was seven hours or something altogether.

Rome and BI were incredible, I was still playing it up until December when I decided to grab Rome2 in the Steam sale.

Oh! Medieval 2 and that first time you realize you can sail to the new world! :eek: The increase in scope was just unreal. Empire felt like almost a let down because I was expecting to get the entire world to conquer not just most of it.

Rome 1 though, in the end I think. EB mod for it added a few hundred more hours playtime to it over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 AndreiD

I really liked the atmosphere in the first Medieval, it was pretty well polished, what a fun game that was.
    The only one of the series that comes close in my opinion is the first Shogun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

nesf wrote: »
    Did you play it at release or later? It was patched up nicely similar to Rome 2 but it was a buggy mess on launch (arguably in a worse state than Rome 2).

I played it at release and I admit it was a buggy mess at the time. Although a lot of the bugs related to issues actually getting the game to launch rather than gameplay issues.

It came on a lot with patches, but I didn't come across many game breaking issues when it was first released.

• Advertisement
Advertisement