Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

first fix + smoke/heat detectors connected to alarm

• 28-02-2015 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

we are at first electrical fix stage in a total renovation of our bungalow.

i've asked for 6/8 core alarm wire throughout connected to -
    • keypads
    • internal and external bells
    • pirs
    • smoke/heat detectors
    • all windows and external doors

the electrician will be onsite soon and i wondered are there other things you would suggest at this stage?

also, which mains fire/heat detectors can be wired to an alarm system?

thanks for your help,

slip

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Individually cable as many windows and doors as possible as it's a good idea to separate the zones as much as possible.

Run a cat5 for an internet connection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭slipstream

Individually cable as many windows and doors as possible as it's a good idea to separate the zones as much as possible.

thanks fred; thats a good idea and we are bringing cat5 to each room.

the bungalow is on two levels with 11 windows, 3 external doors and a sliding door.

would most alarm panels have enough connections to cope if we individually wire all windows/doors?

i'm guessing the electrician will be looking to use as few loops as possible.

what would be the minimum number of loops he should be using?

slip

Yes, he will more than likely put as many points on the same loop as possible. If the alarm activates it will tell you "downstairs back" rather than "utility door" if they're separated.

It will cost more money to do it that way but if you can afford it then definitely do it.

All alarm systems can be expanded with zone expanders.

Just to add:At a minimum make sure each area of your house is on its own zone like the kitchen, lounge etc.

Just to add:At a minimum make sure each area of your house is on its own zone like the kitchen, lounge etc.

Thanks Fred.

The mains smoke/heat detectors will have to be fitted by the electrician.

Do you know which smoke detectors we could use which could then be connected to an alarm panel after the house is complete?

Also, which of the most popular panels in Ireland can be connected to smoke/heat detectors?

Slip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

Hi the mains smoke and heat detectors fitted by electricians are not normally fitted to the alarm panel. If the electrician has wired alarm cable for the smoke and heat detectors then your alarm installer will supply and fit them. The mains detectors don't get connected to the alarm panel.

slipstream wrote: »
    Thanks Fred.

The mains smoke/heat detectors will have to be fitted by the electrician.

Do you know which smoke detectors we could use which could then be connected to an alarm panel after the house is complete?

Also, which of the most popular panels in Ireland can be connected to smoke/heat detectors?

Slip

The smoke detectors are normally fitted by the electrician. These are normally stand-alone units and aren't compatible with alarm systems.

You need to use detectors that are designed for burglar alarm systems and all alarm systems will take these detectors.

The smoke detectors are normally fitted by the electrician. These are normally stand-alone units and aren't compatible with alarm systems.

You need to use detectors that are designed for burglar alarm systems and all alarm systems will take these detectors.

which wired smoke/heat detectors would you guys recommend which are designed for burglar alarm systems?

if i want to use these types of detectors, should they be on a single loop and what type of cable should i have installed?

thanks again,

slip

They should each be wired separately and on their own zone. I have used many different brands and never had an issue with reliability or quality so I wouldn't suggest one brand over another.

They should each be wired separately and on their own zone. I have used many different brands and never had an issue with reliability or quality so I wouldn't suggest one brand over another.

great; i will ask the electrician to use 6 core alarm cable to connect each of the smoke/heat detectors back to the alarm panel location.

so, in terms of wiring, is this right? each of the following should be wired directly back to the alarm panel location -
    • keypads
    • internal and external bells
    • smoke/heat detectors
    and as many of the following should be wired back to the alarm panel location as possible -
    • pirs
    • all windows and external doors

thanks again.

• Advertisement

The PIR's and any exit/entry routes have to be ran separately too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭altor

slipstream wrote: »
    which wired smoke/heat detectors would you guys recommend which are designed for burglar alarm systems?

if i want to use these types of detectors, should they be on a single loop and what type of cable should i have installed?

thanks again,

slip

These are the most commonly used types.
    They are low voltage, 12V for alarm systems.
    They should not be looped together. One cable to device back to control panel on a single zone.

Advertisement