Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2001 V70 2.5 TDi Fuel Filter Replacement - Engine Bay

• 28-02-2015 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

I found nothing on here or on the www about this.

My V70 is a 2001 model registered in late 2000 - my Haynes manual doesn't cover fuel filter renewal for my model.

The fuel filter isn't under the car in front of the rear wheel, where it seems to be on every V70 but mine.

On my model it's located at the back left of the engine bay, between the brake fluid reservoir and the suspension mount (see attached pic).

So I'm about to tackle the job this weekend, and would appreciate any advice regarding removing old and fitting new - what bolts or nuts to remove, what order to do it in, what to watch out for.

If there are any tutorial descriptions or videos out there, I'd love to see them.

Thanks for any replies,

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Filter looks like that used in VWs also.
    The bar going across just over the front of the filter looks like it could be removed by unbolting one bolt at each end ( can only see one end but its probably the same at the other end).
    Then loosen Jubilee clips and remove the pipes. (Remember/mark which pipe goes on which stub)
    Looks like the other fitting is held down by a plate retained by 2 screws. Remove screws and plate .
    This fitting then pulls up off the filter - pipes remain attached .
    Then see if you can pull the filter up out of its housing - could be tight ; check if there is a clamp of some kind down the side which needs to be slackened.
    You could fill the new filter with clean diesel if you have it as this would save a lot of cranking .
    Make sure the O ring is on the stub before pushing the part with the 2 pipes attached back on .Lubricate O ring with fuel or similar .
    The rest is a reversal of removal .
    Could take a bit of cranking to get going .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Thanks dooroy.

The anti-roll bar is indeed mounted on both ends, but also on a rotating mount mid way along it's length. I'll probably leave it in situ and see if I can work around it.

I do have some clean diesel to fill the new filter with.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to go at it over the next day or two.

Thanks again.

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mark#1 wrote: »
    The anti-roll bar is indeed mounted on both ends, but also on a rotating mount mid way along it's length. I'll probably leave it in situ and see if I can work around it.

It's only a stabiliser bar for the mount on top of the engine. It's not a strut brace or anything. It bolts off very easily. Take it off by the 2 lower bolts , not the one on top.

From the pic I would say it would be almost impossible to work with the bar in place - but straightforward with it out of the way.
    It acts as an anchor for the engine and I would expect just one bolt going across through a rubber mounting or similar.

Finally got to it today.

Removed the strut / brace bar blocking access to the filter. I removed the two bolts securing each of the two brackets that the bar was mounted to, and the bolt at the front of the rotating bracket at the mid point of the bar.

Clamped hoses to be safe.

Removed hoses & control valve, and loosened the nut securing the filter in the shroud.

Pulled out the filter. Realised that the replacement filter was different to the one already in the car. :mad:

Called the parts shop, gave them the number on the filter already in the car, they said they'll have it on Saturday. Confusion probably due to mine being an interim model?

So I put the old filter back in and refitted everything.

Annoyed, but at least I know now that it's a straightforward job, and that it'll be done on Saturday.

Thanks for your replies folks. Yet again, I celebrate internet forums.

Mark

• Advertisement

From those 2 pics its possible that the one you had could fit ;
    it would appear to be a screw - off filter .
    You'll need some way to hold the housing and unscrew the filter (can be very tight ) ; put some diesel on the sealing ring when refitting the new one .

The one already in the car is the right one according to Volvo. New one has no water drain at the bottom.

Did the job today with the new correct filter, exactly as detailed in earlier post. All went fine, car started first time after the job, and I let it idle for 5 minutes or so.

30 mins or so later, I drove a couple of miles and stopped. The engine struggled to re-start.

I drove 15 miles or so, and same again - engine struggled to re-start, and then cut out while idling at traffic lights.

Limped the 15 miles back home, with the engine feeling like it was going to cut out a couple of times. I left the car idling when I got home. Struggled to re-start again, took it for a spin around the block, and it cut out again.

What have I done? Is there air in my fuel system now? I seem to remember having to bleed air from the system of a 2.4TD Toyota HiLux I had years ago. IIRC, there was a nut or bolt or something on/at each injector that I had to open to purge air?

Thanks again for any replies,

Mark

Sounds like taking air somewhere -
    * check the jubilee clips, any of them take another bit of a turn ;
    * did the part with 2 pipes attached go back OK , O ring lubricated etc ;
    * also check the drain under the filter is tight - came across
    one or two that were loose coming out of the box ;
    * is the filter itself tight enough , rubber seal on top lubricated ;
    Usually when a vehicle starts and runs for a while all is OK - and are meant to self bleed so should get rid of any air .

Jubilee clips indeed, Dooroy - I removed the plastic cover over the engine, which let me see a clear fuel line just in front of the injectors (the in/out hoses on the filter are black). With the engine running, I could see LOADS of air bubbles traveling continuously in the fuel.

Seems I hadn't tightened the jubilee clips securing the in & out hoses on the filter enough. They're not in fantastic condition, so I was reluctant to go too tight.

Everything else is nice & tight.

So I just tightened them up a bit more, and within a minute or two, I could see virtually no air bubbles in the clear fuel line - just the occasional small one. Amazing to think that a quarter or half turn or so on the jubilee screw could make that difference.

Quick spin to the shops earlier to get the goodies in for movie night with the kids - started fine, ran fine. Hopefully that's it sorted. :rolleyes:

Thanks all - can't say how grateful I am to people who help others on forums like this. :-)

Mark

• Advertisement

Good outcome - thats what matters. Should be fine now - air bubbles in a diesel line not good;)

Yep, running great now. Love my V70. :-)

Advertisement