Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silica spiral coil vs Cotton Microcoil

• 28-02-2015 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Hi, i currently wrap my coils as a 3/4 wrap spiral coil of 30 guage around 2mm silica.
    I was just wondering if people feel that there's much of a difference in that compared to a cotton microcoil? I'm tempted to get a squape r and swich to cotton microcoils but the only video I could find that compares them says that the spiral coil is technically better.
    What's the general consensis on this, is there much difference? What do you prefer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Squape is a good bit of kit but still prefer the Kayfun (original not clone, there is a difference). Microcoil and cotton is the only way to go. So much better than a silica build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

I have a kayfun lite (not clone). Why do you prefer it to the squape r? I like the idea of the squape cause it allows you to to slot the drillbit into the deck and that'll give ye the perfect size for your coil

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Shinobollo

I have kayfun lite+ V2 and square-R clones. I find both equally easy to build with micro coils and cotton. The main differences are that the squape-R is a much airier draw, can be rebuilt without removing juice and doesn't need a screwdriver to refill. Downside is that it's much longer and depending on the juice can be a very airy draw - although there's lots of adjustment on it.

colly10 wrote:
    I have a kayfun lite (not clone). Why do you prefer it to the squape r? I like the idea of the squape cause it allows you to to slot the drillbit into the deck and that'll give ye the perfect size for your coil

Probably just me but I never found the flavour in the Squape as good as the kayfun. This was an original Squape not the R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭RIchieNouveau

I've only used some cellucotton Acca sent me with the kayfun clone I bought off him. Its seem to work great, is it worth me buying anything else to try?

Also, if its not too off topic. What kind of coils do you like to build? I built a standard horizontal for my first, I think it was 1.5. I tried a vertical "chimney" build for my 3rd, this was last night. Vapour production was down and no increase on flavour and TH was the same, it was 1.5 ohm. I was tinkering with it today and broke a leg, so I stretched it out and rewrapped it horizontally and its a whole new beast! Vaping great at 1.2ohms. Not sure why the vertical didn't work out so well, possibly the wicking? Any of you any thoughts on that? Flavour isn't as pronounced as I thought it would be, an aerotank with s new coil was giving better flavour for me. Any tips for a more flavoursome build? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭nuttyboy79

7 wraps of .3mm kanthal around a 2.4mm bit with just enough cotton to touch the build deck loads of flavour TH and vapour.

I tried silca at first and tbh honest I notice no difference cottons just not as fiddly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭RIchieNouveau

And do you feck that in horizontally or vertically Nutty?

I'm a simple man so horizontal coil for me. 7 or 8 wraps around a 2mm screwdriver giving 1.3ohms. Standard 100% cotton ball wick. Tried cellucotten but found it didn't work well for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭nuttyboy79

And do you feck that in horizontally or vertically Nutty?

Horizontally Richie can't be doing with the fecking around I've an Orchid for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Thanks all for the help, built my first cotton micro coil today. 6 wraps of 2.5mm diameter of 30 guage. It's vaping great, if i can get a week out of these wicks I wont consider going back to silica :)
    Used a coil jig i picked up, turned out to be very handy

• Advertisement

I tend to get 3 days out if the wick but it only takes a couple of minutes to change. Don't think I've had to put in a new coil in 4 months.

Advertisement