Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your "OMFG!" shocking moment? (Potential Spoilers)

Options
  • 28-02-2015 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

That moment in a game where you were just hand-over-head in shock of what just happened. Could be anything from a plot twist to a main character dying, or just something you found (easter egg etc.) that changed your perspective in the game.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I can't think of a single instance of this happening. Storytelling in games is still at retarded 4 year old level for the most part

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Well I did specify it doesn't have to relate to any story of a game. It can be anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭eggy81

Getting launched into space in flashback after blood sweat and years trying to finish it. Wtf.
    Best game of 16 bit era though IMO.

eggy81 wrote: »
    Getting launched into space in flashback after blood sweat and years trying to finish it. Wtf.
    Best game of 16 bit era though IMO.

My favourite Mega Drive game ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Can we use spoiler tags here? Would be interested reading opinions without possibly ruining the games for people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭RichT

Being a middle-aged gamer, my OMFG moment was when I had to look up what 3 Red Rings on my XBOX meant. :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

There wasn't really many but in red dead redemption with
    John Marston dying at the end was a bit of a shock for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Knights of the old Republic twist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

There wasn't really many but
    John Marston dying at the end of Red Dead Redemption was a bit of a shock for me.

Theres no point hiding what game it is behind the spoiler tags too! :P

Spec Ops: The Line
    When you use the White Phosphorous
    Deus Ex - Basically the depth of the game, how basically every minute decision you make actually matters. Games have yet to reach that height again imo.
    I'll add Wizardy 8 is similar to Deus Ex in the depth of decisions etc.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Theres no point hiding what game it is behind the spoiler tags too! :P

Spec Ops: The Line
    When you use the White Phosphorous

I saw footage of that on Youtube actually. Made me really want to play it for the story. It's a shame because I don't have a 360 any more. Is it available on PC?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I saw footage of that on Youtube actually. Made me really want to play it for the story. It's a shame because I don't have a 360 any more. Is it available on PC?

It is. I illegally downloaded it when I was broke then bought it cause I felt guilty :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Bioshock
    "Would you kindly?"

It is. I illegally downloaded it when I was broke then bought it cause I felt guilty :pac:

I f**ing know that feeling! I see them as "trying them out" before I decide to go buy them :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

When I first played Baldur's Gate a couple of years ago (I didn't have a PC back in the day to play it) and I wandered outside the starting town having finished the "tutorial" essentially and I had my first encounter with some wild wolves and they ate my face off, game over :D Old games did NOT fk around, new games have made me WAY too soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

BF4 - conquest - Operation Locker - 2 teams of 32 people trying to shoot each other through at 10ft long, 4ft wide tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Jak 3 (Precursors are
    ottsels, Daxter is a Precursor)

Star Ocean 3 Till the End of Time Twist. Left me stunned in a game of many such moments.
    FFX
    (Yuna will die, it's all a vicious neverending cycle of death and false hope)
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    (Ocelot/Kojima has set the whole thing up as a meta-game, and leaves the rest of the characters good and bad dumbfounded)

Uncharted 1
    undead level
    left me scared ****less, genuninely

Metal Gear Solid 4 Thinking Solid Snake
    was going to end it all and the actual Big Boss turning up, had me how, what, ah c'mon, actually this is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just finished Dragon Age: Inquisition
    and after the credits we see Solas take Flemeths powers and a set up for the next game as the bad guy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

first zombie i met in resident evil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Always an forever it will be exiting the vault in Fallout 3, knew nothing about the series at the time, not even that it was open world. Remember Yahtzee giving it a good review and I saw it while browsing in Game. Got home and my jaw hit the floor when I suddenly realised the world I was in when I exited the vault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

In metal gear 2 when you realise you don't get to play as snake :(

SSX demo on ps2 blew me away graphically the first time I played it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

J. Marston wrote: »
    Bioshock
    "Would you kindly?"

The end of Bioshock Infinite blew my mind. I got it free on PS Store and didn't have a clue what it would be like, I was very pleasantly surprised.

Also Aeris dying in Final Fantasy VII. I know it's a bit of an obvious one but I really love that game and when I replay it now and again I still get that sad feeling I got back in 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭rizzla

GTA IV: Lost and Damned dlc
    seeing a willy in a game for the first time, pretty shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Master Miller !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

There wasn't really many but in red dead redemption with
    John Marston dying at the end was a bit of a shock for me.

I agree with that one and spec ops.. Those were good spec ops for the story/shock.

I did the same thing on the 360, it was such a great game, I haven't bought it but I really want to replay it so I'll probably pick it up on the pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Double post soz..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Playing FF7 as a 9 year old...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Playing FF7 as a 9 year old...

I know your pain. Here, I hope this helps.

http://youtu.be/a3LkKviuGKU

• Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Uncharted 3:
    Sully getting "shot dead"

Metal Gear Solid 4:
    Gun-in-the-mouth

MGS Snake Eater:
    Scene where Volgin is beating up Naked Snake leading to his eye eventually getting shot at and blinded

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

COD4: Modern Warfare
    Where the nuke goes off and you die..I was like wtf???, of course when it come to MW2 sure people were dying left right and centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Realistically there will always be one shocking moment we've all experienced if you've played MGS.

Figuring out Meryl's Codec number.
    On the back of the game's box

And then to continue with MGS - Psycho Mantis
    reading my memory card

Advertisement