Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to restore the BIOS?

Options
  • 28-02-2015 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

My desktop PC has suddenly died. I turned it on and all I got was a black monitor screen. No BEEP sound either from the MoBo (ASUS P5Q).
    Firstly I thought it was a problem from the graphic card (HDMI output), I tried the VGA output, then I connected the PC to my TV, no success!
    I extracted the CR2032 cell and found out it was dead...
    Now I am going to replace this cell, but I am sure that the BIOS could be deleted or unusable.
    If this is the case, what is the procedure to restore the BIOS?
    I have downloaded the latest BIOS from the ASUS website (version 2209, it's a .ROM file). I think I should put this file onto a floppy disk and then try to boot the PC from this disk. Is that correct? What if it doesn't work?
    Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks a million.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Removing the battery wont damage your bios or anything like that. You might lose a few settings in the bios if you had changed them manually. You can just put them back if thats the case.

EDIT: upgrading the bios is a separate matter which you may want/need to do, but it has nothing to do with replacing the battery, if that's what the issue is.

EDIT2: On my asus there is an option in Windows 8.1 to reboot for a bios upgrade. In the bios you select the file on the c: drive that you want to use to upgrade, and thats it. No need for an external device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Alright, it worked fine!
    Of course the only thing was the clock and calendar back to 2002, all the rest was fine.
    I was over-worried :D
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Yesterday it happened again.
    I was using the PC, then I switched it to hybernate mode and when I restarted it the monitor was blank.
    So I switched it off and when it restarted the MoBo didn't emit any sound.
    Strangely it would power on, the it would go off on its own and then on again, but not working. It did it three or four times.
    I opened the case up, pulled the 3V battery out, I thought it was dead again, but it was at 3 volt and I inserted it again.
    The PC started it alright, only the internal clock to set.

Do you think that some other element is the problem, like the graphic card, the power supply, or else?

Advertisement