Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOW TO GET AN "A" IN JC SCIENCE?

Options
  • 28-02-2015 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

im doing my junior cert this year and i wanted to get a revision book to get an A in science
    any recomendations????
    ive herd revisewise&leess-stress-more-success are pretty good but which one s best for gettin an A???
    is there any other bokks that would b more usefull???
    thanks ;)
    PS. i would appreciate any answers b4 this monday pls and thanks fir bothering ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Books may help you but you'll need to be prepared to study hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mariacb

ok
    im a good studier

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Eoghanc2

I used a book produced by 'MENTOR' called junior certificate science revision. John Cullen writes it and if it's an a4 size colourful book. Look for the mentor emblem at the bottom on the cover and the name John Cullen. I would definitely highly recommend it, I got an A in the junior cert science exam (I did my junior cert last year) and this book really helped me. Trust me this book is really really skinny and it's taken directly from the science syllabus so it has everything you need to know exactly everything with nothing left out. I had the revise wise book and there was way too much in it so buy this book and you can definitely get an A! If you read through it it's actually the complete book it makes getting an A way easier. Sorry this blog won't let me send pictures.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
    omg thank uuuuuuu eoghanc2!
    does it have experriments aswell??

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Eoghanc2

mariacb wrote: »
    THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
    omg thank uuuuuuu eoghanc2!
    does it have experriments aswell??

Just checked the book and yes it has experiments. Perhaps not in as much detail(as the book you use in school because it's a revision book) but it shows them and basically what you need to know about them for the exam.

• Advertisement

ok thanks again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

I used physicsteacher.com last year it has experiments too.:) I didn't use any revision book just did 2 pairs of exam papers and got an A.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 The real Gerry

I got an A in science so here is my input

-Past papers are your best resource
    -Don't waste money on revision books.
    -Read over your book and write out notes.
    -Past papers
    -Past papers and their guides

But if you are going to use a revision book I recommend revise wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭abutler101

You will learn a lot more by writing or typing out your own notes. It took me a weekend to write out good notes for science and I found writing them out brilliant for revision alone. I got an A in my mocks too, just by writing out those notes a week before hand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

abutler101 wrote: »
    You will learn a lot more by writing or typing out your own notes. It took me a weekend to write out good notes for science and I found writing them out brilliant for revision alone. I got an A in my mocks too, just by writing out those notes a week before hand.

Can't stress this enough. Being able to make your own notes is a skill that will stand to you at LC and beyond into college too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

I recommend using past papers and also look at marking schemes. On the day, you may be caught for time and it was useful for me to know how detailed my answers had to be, so I wouldn't waste too much time. I didn't use a revision book, and I got an A :) the problem with revision books is that they don't have enough information to get a high grade. Taking down your own notes is the best idea. Be sure to change the wording of it so you can remeber it better. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

NOS3 wrote: »
    I recommend using past papers and also look at marking schemes. On the day, you may be caught for time and it was useful for me to know how detailed my answers had to be, so I wouldn't waste too much time. I didn't use a revision book, and I got an A :) the problem with revision books is that they don't have enough information to get a high grade. Taking down your own notes is the best idea. Be sure to change the wording of it so you can remeber it better. Good luck :)

If you know the information you won't. I finished my paper in 30 mins and still got an A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Learn off the marking scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

coolerboy wrote: »
    If you know the information you won't. I finished my paper in 30 mins and still got an A

Alot of people don't exactly thrive under exam pressure. Also, You may know the book cover to cover and think you're great for knowing so much and writing down all you know, but some people may end up being caught for time at the end and not have all the questions. Detailed answers are great, but just don't leave yourself rushing. I don't know the OP, he may be great at pacing himself, but a look at what answers get good marks can only be beneficial. I myself wrote detailed answers, but I found it useful to know what must be included to get the marks.

thanks coolerboy, The real Gerry, abutler101, NOS3 and SuperSean11 for all the techniques!!!!!!
    Ill make sure to try them all see which one works best!!!
    thanks again!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure to find out what type of a learner you are too.

http://www.educationplanner.org/students/self-assessments/learning-styles-quiz.shtml

The above is just one such test. Do a couple and if they come back with the same style, then you're on the way to finding effective ways to study and retain information.

That said, the JC is designed for candidates to get good marks, so don't worry too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Revision books will get you a B

The extra detail you'll get from writing your own condensed version of the syllabus in notes will get you an A

Don't neglect the coursework B investigations element of the subject either

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

I haven't done the actual Junior Cert yet but I just finished my mocks and I got 90% in science and I studied from thephysicsteacher.ie. I didn't touch anything else and I found that website to be really beneficial, and on top of that, it was made by a teacher in my school 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

mrcjcs.com is another good website for junior cert science, it has notes for every topic as well as sample write-ups of the projects

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

Go on google...find the exam syllabus..learn the objectives...A.

• Advertisement
Advertisement