Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tracker-worth getting?

• 28-02-2015 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi all,

Could anyone give me some advice on car trackers.

Im about to purchase a new car and am hearing lots of stories lately about cars being stolen and shipped out of the country.

Would a tracker be a worthwhile investment and could anyone offer any recommendations for where to purchase or trackers they have bought and were happy with.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

If it's a bmw or a range rover, get one. If it's a Ford Fiesta, maybe not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

For the sake of around €100 and a fiver credit every few months, I would say yes, they are worth it, if you are at all concerned of your motor going missing. I got mine on ebay and hooked it up to a constant supply of power in a mitsi fto. The unit has GSM and GPRS tracking. The main unit was hidden in the dash. The GPRS antenna ran up the pillar and peeked out from behind the rear view mirror, making it effectively invisible, unless you knew where it was. The GSM antenna ran up the pillar and along the roof liner and was hidden in the third brake like unit. The rear window was tinted, so the antenna was again hidden, but would have been very hard to spot either way. The device came with a few options, all activated by text, or by calling the unit. You could listen in to conversations in the car, cut the power to engine, set alerts if the car was moved, or left a pre defined perimeter. I never bothered with all that stuff, but it was cool to have the option. Ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

goz83 wrote: »
    For the sake of around €100 and a fiver credit every few months, I would say yes, they are worth it, if you are at all concerned of your motor going missing. I got mine on ebay and hooked it up to a constant supply of power in a mitsi fto. The unit has GSM and GPRS tracking. The main unit was hidden in the dash. The GPRS antenna ran up the pillar and peeked out from behind the rear view mirror, making it effectively invisible, unless you knew where it was. The GSM antenna ran up the pillar and along the roof liner and was hidden in the third brake like unit. The rear window was tinted, so the antenna was again hidden, but would have been very hard to spot either way. The device came with a few options, all activated by text, or by calling the unit. You could listen in to conversations in the car, cut the power to engine, set alerts if the car was moved, or left a pre defined perimeter. I never bothered with all that stuff, but it was cool to have the option. Ebay.

Yeah, but FTO.. robbey. Some cars just really aren't. BTW I also have an FTO, it's currently behind a steel door with a big lock on it. Robbey cars...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭Trollhättan

For the sake of around €100 and a fiver credit every few months, I would say yes, they are worth it, if you are at all concerned of your motor going missing. I got mine on ebay and hooked it up to a constant supply of power in a mitsi fto. The unit has GSM and GPRS tracking......

Hi Goz...do you have any link to the kit you bought? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Yeah, but FTO.. robbey. Some cars just really aren't. BTW I also have an FTO, it's currently behind a steel door with a big lock on it. Robbey cars...

Any car can be robbed. Some are more likely to be targeted, I agree. There is certainly no harm in adding extra security, especially when it's inexpensive.

Are you on fto ireland? My FTO got a battering. See my thread here http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13627&start=200
    Hi Goz...do you have any link to the kit you bought? Thanks.

I can't see the exact kit, as they change, but this one looks pretty much the same, with extra features. The brand is the same and the control unit and attachments are all there, but it also seems to have an alarm function. I haven't read the whole listing, but I think that's what you want.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Realtime-Vehicle-Car-GSM-GPRS-GPS-Tracker-Tracking-Alarm-System-TK103-A-VG3-/130994399034?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e7fdfe73a

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

A steel door and a big lock is a mild inconvenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

CJ Haughey wrote: »
    A steel door and a big lock is a mild inconvenience.

So is an FTO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Wow. I was working on building a tracking website in 200 or so and bought a unit just like that for 600 sterling. That's a good price there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just a reminder than a tracker is only as good as its positioning and the time it takes to find. You want to ensure its not wired obviously (i.e. Don't tap on the fuse boards) and on some installs, I've seen two. A 'decoy' and a real one. Both working but wired entirely separately with the idea being if you find one, then you're unlikely to look for the second. You'll also want to make sure its independently powered if the battery is disconnected.

Lastly, remember they can be jammed and you will be snookered if its left in a underground car park or steel container. That said, the modus operandi seems to be to leave a car in an estate to see if its collected or a tracker installed. Its a worthwhile investment given the cost of insurance and car versus the unit itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

for anyone that has one of these, what pay as you go sim did you get? and how much do you spend/top up by.

As far as I can tell with that ebay one its constantly tracking its position. How much data would that use per month?

tescomobile do a 5e per month sim with 5e addon for a 1gb of data. Is that enough?

• Advertisement
Advertisement