Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotels near Train station.

Options
  • 28-02-2015 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Hi guys what hotels would be within walking distance of the train station, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭eunified61

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Hi guys what hotels would be within walking distance of the train station, thanks.

Seven oaks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Sevenoaks would be nearest prob few b&b nearer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Would it be a 10min walk or more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

At least 10 minutes unless you cut through St Dympnas something i wouldnt advise once it gets dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Why/not? Been that soldier on many's a night after dark stone cold sober & no issues whatsoever.

Regarding accommodation the Oaks is closest alright but McHughs Courthouse is only 7 or 8 mins. walk from the station as is Redsetter B&B both on Dublin St.

Dinn Rí worth checking out too (10 Rooms?) but with there being the biggest (?) nightclub in Ireland underneath industrial ear-plugs wouldn't get me staying there unless it was a Monday or Tuesday night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The Courthouse Hotel and Dinn Rí are about the same distance walk as the Seven Oaks bu much closer to the town centre. (Dinn Rí is very central but not many rooms).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

As people have said the oaks would be about the same distance as the ones in town. If your down for a session go for dinner ri or court house much closer to pubs so less of a walk late at nite.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Dínn Rí would be quite noisy, I wouldn't suggest it (it's in the centre of town and has a nighclub complex)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Dínn Rí would be quite noisy, I wouldn't suggest it (it's in the centre of town and has a nighclub complex)

Depends on the OP. Are you young / mature? Down for a stag or a couples retreat etc. The Seven Oaks and The Court House Hotel will be quiet and have a more mature residence. Dinn Ri as said, is above a nightclub. There's many B&Bs littered nearby also. And tbf, Carlow isn't that big, a 5 - 10 minute walk will get you most places!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I would suggest the courthouse.

Just to be clear I'm shilling.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Why would it be a bad idea to walk through Dympna's at night?

I've done it a few times and thankfully never a bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Why would it be a bad idea to walk through Dympna's at night?

I've done it a few times and thankfully never a bother.

The pathway that people walk through the grounds is full of drug addicts and other undesirables, no lighting and very high possibility of getting mugged would put most people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I'd say the Courthouse Hotel or that B and B with the bronze horse outside always seems busy. Carlow ain't that big though so anywhere in the town would be close

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Thanks for all your replies guys, much appreciated, I probably should have given a bit more info.

oap meself with younger partner 53 with a disability.

Want to get to Dublin but to make it a pleasant experience as possible because partner suffers from anixety and panic attacks amongst other probs, so was thinking of breaking the journey by staying for two nights in Carlow.

Reviews for the courthouse are good, a quiet nights sleep is important.

Is there a taxi service in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Thanks for all your replies guys, much appreciated, I probably should have given a bit more info.

Want to get to Dublin but to make it a pleasant experience as possible because partner suffers from anixety and panic attacks amongst other probs, so was thinking of breaking the journey by staying for two nights in Carlow.

Hi danjo, the Courthouse is my hotel and we would love to have you stay, but unfortunately we don't have any disabled access rooms in the Courthouse and we have no lift either.

The Seven Oaks is just up the road from us and also quite close to the train station and would have more facilities than us.

Just a bit outside of the town are also the Talbot Hotel and the Woodford Dolmen Hotel but these would require a taxi, which are readily available from the train station.

If you do decide to stop into carlow we would love to have you drop into the Courthouse for a drink or a meal.

Just to ad, carlow like a lot of towns has been hit bad by the recession but is really is a very under rated town with lots to do in.

Frynge

Heaps of taxis, a few will be parked outside the station. Fare should be about €7 max within the town, probably less.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Just to add if your partner is mobility impaired, ask the Oaks to give you a room within easy reach of the lift. Some of the corridors seem to go on for ever! The Oaks also has a nice pool, which might be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Plenty of taxis and generaly you will find 1 or 2 meeting the train

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The pathway that people walk through the grounds is full of drug addicts and other undesirables, no lighting and very high possibility of getting mugged would put most people off.

I've walked through there at all times of the day and night and never had any issues. I've never seen any "drug addicts" or "other undesirables"
    To be honest I'd be more worried about the centre of the town on a Thursday or Friday night

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

Blacknight wrote: »
    I've walked through there at all times of the day and night and never had any issues. I've never seen any "drug addicts" or "other undesirables"
    To be honest I'd be more worried about the centre of the town on a Thursday or Friday night

I'm the same, absolutely never even heard of it being any way bad in that area. Day or night, never actually even remotely heard of anything like that on the grounds. Surely someone has confused this with loud kids walking home from school, messing and pushing each other etc. because I really can't think of it being anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I'm the same, absolutely never even heard of it being any way bad in that area. Day or night, never actually even remotely heard of anything like that on the grounds. Surely someone has confused this with loud kids walking home from school, messing and pushing each other etc. because I really can't think of it being anything else.

Think the history of it being a state mental hospital with the tree shaded shorter path combine to give it an undeserved reputation. Also see: Graiguecullen, New Oak estate and other council estates and so on . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

There is a taxi rank outside the train station but Taxi number is 05991 40000 in case you need to order one.

..Brian.. wrote: »
    There is a taxi rank outside the train station but Taxi number is 05991 40000 in case you need to order one.
    OP, that's just one taxi firm (the biggest), there are numerous other firms operating in town. You can also book a taxi using Hailo.

Also that number should read 059 9140000. The area code is 059 not 05991 so in the unlikely event of you calling from a land-line in the 059 area make sure to dial 9140000 not 40000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

To be honest the only issues I've ever seen in the area have been very late at night after pubs and night clubs have closed and it's usually just a few idiots being a bit rowdy. There was one time when a couple had a rather violent argument between the gates of the hospital and the Seven Oaks at around 2 or 3 in the morning .. but beyond that I've never seen anything that'd concern me.

Advertisement