Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Douglas

Options
  • 28-02-2015 10:32pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm due to be down in Douglas for a few days with work soon and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good places to eat as opposed to eating in my hotel everynight?

Am fairly flexible on food

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Douglas is small so youll be grand..There is El Vinos down by the east village that is nice... You have east village which the steak on the stone is loverly but other than that tis pants... Barrys is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Plenty of places, Barrys Pub, East Village, Eco's, plus there are plenty of Italian Indian and Chinese restraunts as well.
    http://www.menupages.ie/Cork/cork_central/douglas

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Milly33 wrote: »
    Douglas is small so youll be grand..There is El Vinos down by the east village that is nice... You have east village which the steak on the stone is loverly but other than that tis pants... Barrys is nice

I'm only there for three nights, steak on the stone sounds good :)

Thank you!

I think I'm staying in the Marylebourne Hotel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Ecos is a very very good restaurant, it's my favourite in Cork anyway. KCs does excellent fast food if you feel like some grease.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ecos is a very very good restaurant, it's my favourite in Cork anyway. KCs does excellent fast food if you feel like some grease.

I'm on expenses of 25e for dinner but will check it out.

Thanks to you all, appreciate the responses :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm on expenses of 25e for dinner but will check it out.

Thanks to you all, appreciate the responses :)

That's plenty for dinner in Ecos anway. You may need to book, even mid week. It's always busy.

That's plenty for dinner in Ecos anway. You may need to book, even mid week. It's always busy.

Brilliant, thank you so much :)

I'm used to Dublin prices

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Stheno wrote: »
    I think I'm staying in the Marylebourne Hotel

Maryborough, I'd say ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Faith wrote: »
    Maryborough, I'd say ;)

I'd say so too! Very nice hotel - can't really go wrong there.

If you want to venture into the city centre, it's only a 10 min taxi ride in and tons of good places to eat there:

Market Lane
    Elbow Lane (both Oliver Plunkett St)
    Coq Bull (decent enough burgers, steaks and chicken)

Check out the Restaurant Recommendation thread which is stickied in the Cork City forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I agree with Eco's. Very good food but I would book as it can be busy. Barry's was good anytime I was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I love Eco's but they need to stock a few beers, they only had 1 type the last time I was there,

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

thats sad so sad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

thats sad so sad

What is sad?

Ecos are still on the black list for me, haven't been there nor would recommend it...

(to correct above it should read haven't been there in ages)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Ecos are still on the black list for me, haven't been there nor would recommend it...

Why's that? I can see not recommending if you've been there and didn't like it but why blacklist it if you've never been? :confused:

Now now you see you jump the gun..I didn't say I hadn't been there, they wouldn't be on the black list if I hadn't called there..They had three strikes and after that I would not go back there nor recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Eco's is small, cramped, busy and a bit of a get them in and out as fast as possible kind of a place with the best food or at least the best at a reasonable cost in Douglas. Love the stir fry and despite the negatives its hands down my favorite in Douglas.
    The Maryborough itself is quite nice too if you dont feel like going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Eco's is small, cramped, busy...
    Yeah I'd agree with that bit alright, always seemed like you were squeezed in without any elbow room.

Now now you see you jump the gun..I didn't say I hadn't been there, they wouldn't be on the black list if I hadn't called there..They had three strikes and after that I would not go back there nor recommend it

:confused:

I think you confused John is that what you are trying to say

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think you confused John is that what you are trying to say

No, you quite clearly wrote that you haven't been to Ecos. Perhaps you're the one who got confused?

• Advertisement

A jaysus haven't been there in ages was what it was to be aimed at..Haha sorry John...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

If you fancy a Pizza then Palmentos is fantastic, it is right in the centre of the village across the road from Barrys.
    There is a couple of Indian restaurants in Douglas too, Lal Quila, again in the middle of the village is pretty good.
    If you like Nandos, there's a similar type place in the West Village called Rooster Piri Piri.
    Down that West end of the village you have two bars who also do doors, O'Sullivans & The South County, inexpensive but nice enough.
    Plenty of takeaways & fast food joints about the place, all the usual suspects, McD, 4 Star, Dominos, etc. KCs is the best of them, it is quite tasty stuff!

Advertisement