Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two year old cider

Options
  • 28-02-2015 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi all, I have had some apfel wein sitting in my cubby hole for almost two years now!! Time to cash in on my patience :)

One concern I have is I'm not 100% sure it has been airtight that whole time, the cork bung I used seems kinda loose. How would I know if it's going to kill me or not :P I'm thinking maybe a campden tablet or two? I'm afraid I don't have a huge amount of experience.

Does anyone know of any other concerns I should be aware of now that I'll be carbonating it?

I appreciate any and all help!

IMG_20150228_210538290.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Jaysus don't put a tab in now!

Oper it up and have a sniff, if it's vinegar you'll know fairly quick, if not have a taste, won't kill you but maybe have some loo roll in the freezer as an insurance policy.

Bw

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Lotsafish

Bwaha! Fair enough, loo roll in the freezer it is then. I had a sniff - smells a little yeasty but its got a lovely apple-y whiff to it too. I'll try it later on.

What do you think to odds of being able to carbonate it naturally (without forcing c02) now?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Lotsafish

Sorry a few more questions:

Is it too late to add some tea to the mix for depth?

I have 20l of this stuff - how much sweetener would you use(aldi sweetener tabs)?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Lotsafish wrote: »
    Bwaha! Fair enough, loo roll in the freezer it is then. I had a sniff - smells a little yeasty but its got a lovely apple-y whiff to it too. I'll try it later on.

What do you think to odds of being able to carbonate it naturally (without forcing c02) now?

I have heard of very, very old yeast coming out of retirement (there's some guy in the US who got his hands on ancient yeast and uses it as a market differentiator). But, to answer your question - I have no idea. :)

Advertisement