Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Keeps Cutting Out

Options
  • 28-02-2015 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi guys, hope you can give me a hand. Everyone here is infinitely more knowledgeable about this kind of stuff than me. It's untreaded waters for myself.

So a friend of mine recently upgraded and I got a hand me down of an MSI 7850, the jazzy 2GB TWIN FROZR one with the nice fans.

Since I've put it in whenever I turn on the computer I either get as far as just logging on with windows or it just dies before I even get there.

I was reading up and MSI recommended 2 6pin PCIE slots for power, even though there's only one 6pin slot on the card itself. Does this sound like it could be a problem?

I had a GTX460 in previously and had no trouble with it. I've since put it back in and again just keep power cycling.

Does it sound like a loose cable or what?

Build wise I have a Corsair CX 5OO PSU and a Gigabyte H55M-UD2H, a blasted LGA1156 board which stopped me upgrading.

Thanks lads, you're always great help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The GTX4xx line is pretty power hungry, so if the 460 worked, the 7850 certainly would. Your PSU is more than enough either way, so it would point towards a problem with the card. Are you saying that since you've put the 460 back in the problem remains?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MyNameIsEoghan

That's the thing, I assumed it was the card and stuck the 460 back in but the problem persists.

I couldn't see anything loose so I'm not sure it's that, hopefully not but maybe in my tinkering I wrecked a component unknowingly.

There's a bricks and mortar crowd near enough so if worst comes to worst I can get them to check each of the components, but if it could just be something small I've missed I'd like to save my money and gain some experience while I'm at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

That's the thing, I assumed it was the card and stuck the 460 back in but the problem persists.

I couldn't see anything loose so I'm not sure it's that, hopefully not but maybe in my tinkering I wrecked a component unknowingly.

There's a bricks and mortar crowd near enough so if worst comes to worst I can get them to check each of the components, but if it could just be something small I've missed I'd like to save my money and gain some experience while I'm at it.

have you dislodged the heatsink on the CPU when changing cards... could be a thermal shutdown

go into BIOS and check CPU temps

ft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

There is also a chance its a conflict between the old nvidia and new amd drivers.

Try booting in safe mode for a start and if it doesn't reboot on you uninstall both sets of drives using this.Its best to uninstall from safe mode.Then install the latest amd driver.

Thanks lads I'm back up and running now.

Think it might have been the heatsink, yeah. Some of the push pins were out.

To get it back in place I had to take out the heatsink altogether. Do I need to reapply thermal paste because the CPU is hitting temps of 90+ degrees which I don't think is healthy but maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Yes reapply paste as 90c aint good :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

Thanks lads I'm back up and running now.

Think it might have been the heatsink, yeah. Some of the push pins were out.

To get it back in place I had to take out the heatsink altogether. Do I need to reapply thermal paste because the CPU is hitting temps of 90+ degrees which I don't think is healthy but maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers.

defo have to clean (properly) and reapply thermal paste before you turn it on again

Just a follow up post to say that I finally got my hands on some thermal paste and everything is peachy, CPU temps staying down in the 20-30 degree range, a lot healthier than they were previously.

Cheers for the help, I'd never have thought it was the heatsink.

Advertisement