Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a pony but don't own a horsebox!

Options
  • 28-02-2015 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

I'm on the hunt for a pony for my daughter at the moment. I have two horses myself so I know what I'm looking for and how to care for it.
    The problem is that I keep my horses on our own land and I have no access to a horsebox to transport a pony home. What do people do in these situations when buying a horse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Is there anyone around you that has a box or a friend? That would be the handiest option. If not, you should be able to hire a transporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Have you got a vehicle capable of towing a box? Equiport do horsebox rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If you are buying a pony from a responsible owner, I would imagine that owner would be very glad to transport the pony to your property, to see what your set up was etc. Or you could ask the pony owner if they will deliver the pony, if you pay them for the cost of petrol/diesel? An owner who wants their pony to go to a good home, would be willing to transport the pony I would imagine - I know I would have! Good luck in the search

It's gotten to the stage where we no longer expect to see our trailer in the yard in the mornings:pac: A few friends just borrow it as required.

Have often had to go hunt it down.

Most people are fairly flexible about lending theirs out. Ask around.

As aonb said, the owner might do it, depending on what kind of deal you're getting on the pony!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Hi there,
    Have you heard of Clip Clop Cabs -they're on facebook. And a word of advice (if you don't mind) ...if you are buying a pony - as well getting the pony vetted before you buy him you should get your farrier to check him out too. Don't get caught out like I did recently - the vet passed the pony and I bought him ,only to be told by the farrier a couple of weeks later that he had laminitis. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement