Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone, water, bad news

Options
  • 01-03-2015 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I dropped my Moto G in water for about 5 seconds a few days ago. I expected the worst, but it turns out that the device is reported as water "repellent" and indeed it stayed on after I took it out of the water.

Being cautious I powered it down anyway and checked out what sort of water might have got where it's not supposed to. The back cover worked pretty well and there wasn't a drop underneath it. So it looks like the only place it could have got in anywhere would be the USB connector, the headset connector, or possibly through some of the gaps around the buttons/mic.

The phone remained off for most of the afternoon but then it started turning itself on (which is a bad sign in itself). I left it off overnight in a bowl of rice to try to dry it out.

Now the problem - it won't take any charge at all. Nothing registers, no lights, no nothing. I'm going to leave it another day or two in the rice and then break out the teeny tiny screw drivers if it doesn't come back to life.

Given that it did work for a couple of hours after the dunking I'm hoping that it's not totally fried and maybe it's only the battery that needs to be replaced. Has anyone got any wise/comforting words they can offer (other than "don't drop your phone in the water again") in terms of things to do once the phone is open?

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

put it in a bag with rice in the hotpress for 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

put it in a bag with rice in the hotpress for 24 hours

I'd go with this too. It's your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Phone back in action after a further 24 hours in the rice bag. I had left it in an open bowl full of rice for 2 days or so, but that wasn't enough. As suggested I put it in a sealed bag in a warm place (we don't have a hotpress) and tried it again a day later and it came back to life.

It originally got wet on Thursday afternoon and by Saturday night (over 48 hours in rice) it still wasn't working - nothing, no lights, no flicker. I put it in the sealed bag on Sunday afternoon some time and took it out Monday evening (a full 24 hours) and it just started up as if nothing had happened.

Lesson - don't give up after 24 or 48 hours.

Thanks all.

z

Advertisement