Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Care while pregnant versus postnatal care

Options
  • 01-03-2015 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Id just like to start a bit of discussion on the difference between the level of care while pregnant versus postnatal.

I had a rough enough pregnancy with I think six different hospitalisations in the Coombe not counting the three times a week check ups on BP in the last month. The care received (on public) was absolutely outstanding. I found them very reassuring, always erring on the side of caution and very on the ball. Midwifes and docs were happy to explain everything and I really found the experience wonderful. The ward staff were so friendly. The assessment unit and the perinatal centre were invaluable for someone who had complications.

Birth itself was again well managed and despite being a little terrifying the team were excellent. I was induced but it didn't work. However the night before a section I did go myself, at speed! Straight to full blown contractions 1.5-2 mins apart. It was horrendous tbh, I had no chance to get accustomed to them at all. Again however I found the midwives excellent. As I was on a ward they were going to give me pethodine. However 45 minutes on a trace they still couldn't get a good read. Doc arrived and I was transferred to l&d at <1cm so they could give me gas and air (which was useless!). I was on full fetal monitoring, first via straps, then head clip. They needed to blood test his head, then back on the head clip. Everything was explained and midwives and doc (who was in attendence for most of the labour) were encouraging yet firm when needed. Even though the heartrate wasn't good I was very reassured by them. After 45 mins they checked and realised I was ready to push. Baby was born with the chord around his neck, after 1st-3rd stage labour of only an hour.

However it was a whole different kettle of fish on the postnatal ward. TBH the staff seemed to be run absolutely ragged with no time to breathe. Luckily I had experience with a baby brother because it was very much a personal learning curve on everything from how/how much to actually feed (I was bottle feeding), changing diapers, winding etc. I honestly don't know how anyone without experience managed. I was disappointed to have the first bath done for me rather than me being supervised doing it. And my husband couldn't be there as they did it during the time when he was kicked out. As a teacher myself I just felt that there was no practical teaching given. I felt we were treated like potential bold children rather than tired, hormonal parents. It was so very different to the experience when pregnant. It was difficult to get medication on time, or to find staff members particularly at night-they seemed to be covering multiple rooms and run off their feet. Finally there was a ridiculous attitude and rules about silly things like the bed table, nothing allowed on it but the chart? For people with a section or trying to feed a baby why on earth can you not use the table? It makes absolutely no sense. You aren't allowed to use it to eat meals, even though on my ward there was only 4 chairs at the table and 6 beds on the ward so two of us had to wait to eat? We actually got a lecture one morning from a midwife while she had a student remove stuff from our tables. I was so glad I was getting out that morning. And the mealtimes are ridiculous for new mothers, particularly anyone breast feeding with no food between tea at 4 and breakfast at 8 the next morning. This is fine prenatal when nearly everyone is mobile and can run downstairs for a late coffee or to grab something from the shop but God help anyone who didn't want to leave their baby on the ward and had no one to go to the shop for them

Again I reiterate I feel a lot of this is down to understaffing! The silly rules are needed because staff are so busy they don't seem to have time to do anything, even something as simple as moving a bottle out of the way of the chart. I don't want this to be a 'bashing' thread, I'm just wondering is there a better way? What could be done to alleviate the pressure?

Or perhaps everyone else had a different experience to me and there's nothing needed to be changed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Agree 1000%. While I was on the ward, they squeezed two extra beds into a 6-bed room in the middle of the night, 2 days post section I was given absolutely no pain relief for about 18 hours, not even paracetamol, because "someone had my chart" - I had to basically threaten to sign myself and the baby out before I was eventually given paracetamol (I was charted for difene) There was no lactation consultant available at all, so I was trying to breastfeed completely unaided - I had no idea what I was doing. I was the same with the bath, a midwife grabbed him and shoved him in a sink, even though I asked her to wait for my partner who hadn't arrived yet. And the food...... I've never been so hungry. A slice of brown bread and a tablespoon of rubbery scrambled eggs is not what I would call sustenance; especially when you're not getting fed again for about 16 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I had my first baby in mount Carmel, my only complaint was a b***h of a lazy midwife who decided on my birth plan for me rather than listening to me. Post birth care was excellent , staff on hand to help with feeding, ensured I had adequate pain relief and food was fine

My second arrived 2 weeks after mount Carmel closed so I had the joy of moving to the coombe at that late stage. Both my consultant and the staff in the delivery wards were amazing. And had I been discharged as I was due to be 24hrs later I would have said, that wasn't too bad. But I wasn't as the baby needed treatmemt - my experience from then on was awful. No staff available at all. I couldn't get answers to my baby's condition, I had to be discharged before baby and was breastfeeding so was not leaving but they didn't seem to get this! The paediatrician was particularly rude, never explained what was happening and I had to insist on speaking to someone else to get information. Yes, they cared for my baby but I am an adult and her mother so don't talk down to me.

One of the worst examples was the so called "breastfeeding nurse" who came by on day 3. She didn't read my file or ask about the baby's condition but blindly proceeded to "help" me feed. I had fed my first for 16 moths so I most definitely didn't need or want her help which amounted to her man handling my breast and shoving the baby around, she never asked. The sheets were not changed for the 4 days I was there, so had to sleep in blood stains. Thankfully my consultant had given me a prescription so my husband filled that and brought it in. I won't be in any rush to go back

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have a gap of 12 yrs between my children. First baby was born in the late 90's and the care was excellent. I can't fault it at all. Second child is 5 and the care was awful. There were 9 women awaiting access to the labour ward so I was put back on the ward within half an hour of the birth. I'd had an episiotomy and they didn't even wait for me to be stitched. That happened in the ward. I was hoping to breastfeed but no one had time to show me and I was sent home the next day because they needed the bed. I don't blame the staff who were run off their feet. They did the best they could but it was a shambles and its made up my mind never to have a baby in Ireland again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We had two babies so far (third on the way). One in the Rotunda and the other in Holles street, both in the last three years.
    I can say with certainty that my wifes experience is both was utterly different to described here. Yes in both hospitals the nurses were run off their feet but on both occasions my wife was very happy and for our third we decided on Holles street again just because its closer.
    My abiding memory of the first was a lovely (Spanish i think) nurse showing my wife and I how wash the baby properly. We were terrified of breaking him! She got a box of chocs when we left!
    In the Rotunda for our second the nurses also offered to show my wife how to bath and feed the baby but she didnt need to be shown obviously and they were happy to leave her and me to it.
    It sounds like the staff in the Coombe are even more stretched than Holles street or the Rotunda, am kind of glad we are going back to Holles street hearing this.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

This is an excellent thread.

I went public in Holles St.
    My experience of prenatal care: AMAZING! There are probably few private patients who got better care than I did. Numerous scans, it was a given that I'd get a scan at every visit (and a printed photo.) I even got a 3D scan towards the end, with several of the most amazing photos, that you'd pay over €100 to get elsewhere. I can't wait to show him when he's older. I was always seen within a few minutes of arrival (I work near Holles St. I had 8am appointments, if I didn't have high blood pressure - which I sometimes did - I'd be in work way before my 9am start!)

My experience of the actual birth: I had to convince the administrator (who I don't believe was in any way medically qualified) that my waters had indeed broken, that there was meconium in them, and that I was having contractions. She condescendingly told me that she sees it all the time, where pregnant women pee in their pants and mistake it for their waters breaking. Eh no. Pee doesn't come from my vagina, and there's no poo in it! Christ! So I was waiting quite a while for her to hummmm and hawww and eventually refer me to the ward.

The birth itself - I can't even talk about. It was awful.

The aftercare was sparse. I was the woman in the 8th bed in a 6 bed ward.

Breastfeeding didn't work out - I had the best of intentions. I did get an appointment with a lactation consultant a couple of weeks later, but it was far too late. Baby ended up in Holles St ICU on his second day because of ridiculously low blood sugar - I don't know if this was because of delay in cutting the umbilical cord (the labels machine wasn't working) or because he basically wasn't fed for the first 24 hours (although I was assured the few drops were enough, they probably weren't) - I'll never know.

Also, my son was born with a big head of hair matted with blood. We were in hospital for four days, and every single day, I begged the nurses several times a day to show me how to wash his hair (I was that inexperienced that I couldn't attempt it myself, I was terrified of damaging the "soft spot".) They fobbed me off each time "Oh it's good for him" "We'll do it later" etc. Eventually I had to ask another mother (not a first time one) for help to do it. I know how silly that sounds. But, when I was asking nurses 8-10 times a day how to wash my baby, surely they should have shown me.

I absolutely cannot fault Hollles St for their prenatal care - it was first class. I remember at 8 months pregnant moving house (heavy lifting etc) and suddenly realising that baby hadn't moved in several hours - I was seen and scanned literally the minute I arrived there. (All was fine!)

They have a long way to go in postnatal care.

Having said that, would I go public again? YES. On my second child. When I know what to expect and what to do, when I know that it's fine to bathe a baby and their soft spot isn't THAT sensitive. :)

It's a tough call. No matter how wealthy I was (I wish!) I can't imagine ever sacrificing a couple of months creche fees to make a few days easier for me.

I'll be going public again next time. But will probably be more vocal when it comes to looking after my baby after the birth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I went private in Holles St on both of mine. I found the postnatal care excellent. Except for the first night on my second when I was in a semi private ward which I found awful as the woman beside me was snoring her head off and I didn't sleep at all after the birth.

Once I was moved to the Merrion Wing, apart from a couple of old school nurses who I didn't find very nice the care was great. I felt they really supported my breastfeeding choice and really helped me on my first baby. They showed me how to latch my baby on and have me lots of encouragement. I ended up bfing my first for 5 months which I was pretty pleased with. The staff took my baby to the nursery for me for a few hours each night so I could sleep. As he was cluster feeding fr 10pm till 4am every night! And I just found them very good. I disn't need this on my second baby as the feeding came a lot more naturally.

On both births my consultant visited me everyday to make sure all was ok. And the midwifes were very efficient administering any pain relief I required and on time. I found the midwifes on the private ward very good and there didn't seem to be a shortage. Also if my baby needed any checks they were always done on time. And I was always fully informed on the what's and whys of the checks. The midwives also offered me full teaching advice on everything fr feeding to washing my baby. They gave me a great little tutorial on how to bath my baby and spent time again explaining what way to do it and why.The paediatrician who saw my 2 was also excellent and followed through with theor care until 6 week check if needed.

I developed mastitis 3 weeks after my second was born and had to be admitted, again the care was very good. I was given the option of bringing my baby in withe to stay the night beside me as I was breast feeding. Apart from the obvious not wanting to be in hospital I fpind the care fine.

I can't imagine ever sacrificing a couple of months creche fees to make a few days easier for me.

Hmmm... This is not the main reason I chose to go private. It's only an added bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

It's a tough call. No matter how wealthy I was (I wish!) I can't imagine ever sacrificing a couple of months creche fees to make a few days easier for me.

The reason I chose private care was certainly not for an easier few days. It was
    A) because I have a couple of underlying conditions that can make getting pregnant more difficult and would have qualified me for the high risk clinic a couple of years ago but don't now so I wanted the continuity of care.
    b) because the care I received on the public system during my first, a miscarriage, was awful. I was probably unlucky but when I became pregnant again 4 months later it was still just too fresh in my mind.

Your antenatal care sounds amazing and it should be standard. Unfortunately it's not! In Cork on the public system only 2 scans are guaranteed and the anomaly isn't one of them. Some people get lucky and have mini scans at other appointments. Others don't. I had a detailed scan at one of my appointments that I wouldn't have been due at one of my third trimester appointments. It picked up a potential problem that could have been serious for me and the baby. Thankfully it remained stable and didn't cause any problems but I would have been symptomless with it until it did so the likelihood is that it wouldn't have been picked up.

My antenatal care was fantastic on my first and has been the same so far this time. Obviously if antenatal care was as consistent as you experienced I wouldn't feel the need to go private. Yes I got the private room first time and it was great but if I don't get in this time and end up in a two bed so be it. It's not about the room. It's about the continuity of care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I found the post natal care exactly the same in holles street. I was semi private, found them rushed off their feet, no one was listening to me, they just pidgeon holed me and carried on. I mean the doctors not the nurses. Most of the nurses were gems, but on both occasions it was very much the learning curve you Described.

I had high bp after both births. 2 emergency sections. The first time was grand, I understand they had to ease into the medication. But the second time it was day 5 post birth that they even started medicating. I gave out stink to a doc who then went in and took it out on the nurses. One of the nurses came out asking why in was reporting them! I explained it as the doctors I was giving out about and even got the girl in the bed beside me to back me up! Then when they started medicating it was one pill every time the bp spiked! I told them it was going to keep spiking and they needed to properly medicated so it would be controlled. Another doc came down, closed the curtain and was all 'why did you complain about me'!!

The final straw was when I heard the bed manager arguing with the nurse because I was taking up a bed in semi private when my insurance only paid for 5 days and there were others in the public ward who could have done with it. I went in and said it was simple... Just discharge me!

Anyhow day 10 post birth came and I said, discharge me or I'll do it myself. They discharged me at 8pm and I legged it!

I know it comes across like I was a head wrecker patient lol, but I honestly wasn't. It was a crappy environment to recover in and an even worse one if your issues were outside the norm.

Sorry, hit reply before commenting on postnatal care. Mine was very good too. One midwife spent so long trying to help me breastfeed because the lactation consultant was away. She didn't have huge success but another came in and hurriedly showed me a sure fire way that the first had dismissed. Sure enough, that worked and from there on didn't need much help. Pain meds came on time. A midwife spent time showing us how to bath the baby. My sheets were changed regularly. Food was fairly awful in general but was expecting that so my husband was bringing me in salads and fruit and things. My only real complaint about my post natal care was the fact that they forgot to tell me about the post natal Physio class I was supposed to attend before being released.

My only prenatal complaint could have happened public or private I suppose and was partly to do with my innocence as a first timer and partly to do with the nervous first timer card being played by the midwife. I was induced and had my second gel at 12.30am. Was getting bad back pain and at around 4am the midwife more or less brushed me off and said gel pains can be awful and that labour could be another while off. I wasn't checked at that stage. Thought I'd be better truck on so and basically spent my time pacing, showering and bouncing on the ball and worrying about how painful labour was going to be when it finally started. My consultant arrived after 7 to see could my waters be broken. I was in agony at that stage(all back pain) but was nearly 7cm dilated. My baby arrived around an hour later. I was in delivery and pushing by the time my husband arrived. I suppose I should have been more vocal about the pain but the midwife seemed rushed and I was after getting such dire warnings about how awful induction was that I just assumed that the timeframe I was given would be accurate. I'll know next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I was in the Coombe after the birth of my baby in Nov 2014 and I had a very different experience to you OP. I had bp problems so was in for 9 nights in total. One before the birth and 8 after. I had an emergency c section. The before care was great but so too was the after care for me. I found the midwives fantastic except for two. They were run off their feet but they did a great job. They weren't always bang on time for pain relief but I used to keep an eye on my chart and ring the bell for them. I got shown how to bath my baby twice. I was asked every day if my bed needed changing. Ice water was regularly topped up. The meals were fine. Yes there is a big gap between dinner and breakfast. I had my own snacks for then. I was breastfeeding and most of the midwives were very supportive and knowledgeable.

@seventeen sheep - you mentioned your baby had low blood sugar. My baby had low blood sugar on the first night and that was down to the medication I was on for my bp. I was told this by the consultant and the baby doctor.

I think all this really comes down to staff to patient ratios tbh. I know know one is complaining about the midwives. Just the lack of care. But of course a patient and their baby are going to receive better and more holistic care the more staff that are on. A lot of time it really isn't the midwives fault as they can be pushed to the limit. Tbh, imo the system needs a complete overhaul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Some of your experiences sound awful, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I went public in the Rotunda and found the prenatal care excellent and extremely thorough. They were quite cautious and when my blood pressure spiked at 38 weeks they made the call to keep me in and then to induce at 39 weeks.

The induction/birth experience was overall positive too, the staff were very attentive though I suspect there was a bit of a lull that weekend (I had the induction ward all to myself!) My labour became very intense very fast and that was responded to very well. There were a few concerns with me and baby during and after labour and the midwife and doctor were very reassuring.

Afterwards back on the ward, it was pretty noisy and a bit chaotic. The midwives were very attentive though and I got plenty of breastfeeding advice (though there were still one or two pushing the bottle). I was constantly being asked if I needed more pain meds, I find it horrendous that some of you were left without :( I'd go public in the Rotunda again in a heartbeat, the noisy ward was the only drawback but I really felt well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I think all this really comes down to staff to patient ratios tbh. I know know one is complaining about the midwives. Just the lack of care. But of course a patient and their baby are going to receive better and more holistic care the more staff that are on. A lot of time it really isn't the midwives fault as they can be pushed to the limit. Tbh, imo the system needs a complete overhaul.
    Maybe so, but I think a lot of it is lackadaisical policies, or adherence to those policies. I work in healthcare, and while we are pushed to the limit staffing wise, we still have to provide a quality service. Some of what went on in the postnatal ward just absolutely shouldn't have happened - particularly the incidence of not receiving my medication. I was also on an antibiotic for a UTI (the UTI which caused me to go into labour) but I wasn't given it once. When I queried that nobody seemed to know anything about it, even though it was prescribed for me in the hospital and was right there on my chart. That simply wouldn't happen in my job, we'd be hung out to dry if someone in our care didn't receive prescribed meds as charted.

nikpmup wrote: »
    Maybe so, but I think a lot of it is lackadaisical policies, or adherence to those policies. I work in healthcare, and while we are pushed to the limit staffing wise, we still have to provide a quality service. Some of what went on in the postnatal ward just absolutely shouldn't have happened - particularly the incidence of not receiving my medication. I was also on an antibiotic for a UTI (the UTI which caused me to go into labour) but I wasn't given it once. When I queried that nobody seemed to know anything about it, even though it was prescribed for me in the hospital and was right there on my chart. That simply wouldn't happen in my job, we'd be hung out to dry if someone in our care didn't receive prescribed meds as charted.

Ok well what happened with your antibiotics I would call negligence. It's not about lacksidaisy policies. Antibiotics and analgesia and all other meds are classed as a nursing/midwifery priority once prescribed and should (MUST) be given in adherence with prescribed times.

However, the majority (pretty much all) the complaints here are in regards to general care and education for mums/parents and their babies. And imo is probably mostly directly related to staff shortages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Sorry just to clarify I did have to ask for my BP meds and painkillers every time too on post natal

It's good to see that there are mixed experiences. Maybe it can literally be attributed to staffing levels, like if someone had rang in sick on the days I was in then it would be very difficult to manage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I think staffing levels have a lot to do with it. I was in at an unusually quiet weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The postnatal care level was one of the main reasons I went private. I heard too many stories about the public system after the birth that I wanted to maximise my chances of getting a private bed. I ended up with sections and I couldn't have coped with a busy ward and breastfeeding after them. My private room and care were worth every single penny of the fees. I spent time on a public and semi private ward in Holles St and I wasn't happy, especially with the public ward. Ok the staff were busy but not every minute and not to the extent that they could use it as an excuse for certain elements of my treatment. If I have any more I'll go private because there was no comparison. I got daily visits from my consultant and post natal checks a few months afterwards. The public care of many friends left a lot to be desired in all of the Dublin units.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

nikpmup wrote: »

Massive plus one. I'm allergic to a common pain med and had a tag on my wrist stating this. Every time someone came in they had the one I was allergic to in a cup. That's not staff under pressure, that's lax and sloppy practice.
    I said it to my consultant and hopefully someone somewhere has been told to get their act together about things like that.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I gave birth in a teaching hospital on the public system and I think that helped a lot. I found that the lapses in care were:

Not being given my post-section meds every 4 hrs. I had to hobble up to the nurses station and ask for them a few times. Now it may have been that they can't leave them by the bedside when you are away from the bed in case they get taken by someone else. I was in neonatal a lot breastfeeding, so I put it down to that.

I got lots of support from all the midwives when getting to grips with breastfeeding, I think many had direct personal experience of it which was great. The lactation consultant spent as much time with me as I needed.

A student midwife gave the ward the babywashing demo using my baby. I was relieved I didn't have to do the first one tbh. She supervised while the other mammies washed their babies. Again, lots of information, techniques shared.

The surgeons came around the day after the emcs to see if I had any questions for them that I may not have thought of in the heat of the moment.

It was the non-medical staff that I found to be an unpleasant experience.

The cleaner who constantly slammed the bin lid yards from where you were dozing and just whisked your curtain open without warning, when I was changing my underwear (and maternity towel) or breastfeeding, exposing me to the hordes of visitors. Hey, if the head consultant can manage to 'knock' then so can you, lady! The caterer that refused to leave my dinner for me to eat later when I'd to go feed baby in another ward. I think she thought I'd steal the plate or something? The nursing assistant who took my monkey bar two days post section because 'someone' needed it' eh, I needed it!

Overall my experience was very good. The medics were very busy, but I was happy that I got the information I needed over the 5 days i was in though I don't think that the women who got early discharge would get that.I was happy to get home from a noisy ward though, you'd assume it was the babies but actually it was visitors and non medical staff making the most noise that prevented you from getting rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I went public through Cavan and their MLU. Care was second to none - anyone I spoke to about my waiting times, treatment and general care were shocked. I never waited more than 5 minutes for an appointment, every midwife who took me for apps knew my name, had memorized my information from previous visits, and were very chatty and reassuring. They took me in without hesitation when I thought my waters were leaking and even offered me a cup of tea and a sit-down to calm my nerves while we were waiting on the test results. When I got my first sweep, the midwife gave me a pad from her own purse because I didn't have one on me! They did everything possible to get me to go into labour naturally before my induction date - even taking me into the MLU birthing suite on my last day to bounce on the birthing ball, go for a hot bath and have a good, brisk walk before a final sweep.

Unfortunately for me, I had to be induced. Waters were broken over on the consultant side (MLU couldn't deal with me then) by a rather rough and rude woman who would not let my partner be present until I refused to have my waters broke. After it was done they had me walk back to the ward and told my partner he would have to leave and would be called when my labour had progressed to 5mins between contractions. One of the MLU midwives saw me crying and intervened for me, explaining that this level of care was not what I was promised and that none of this was explained to me, and that drawing the curtains around my bed and letting my partner stay for my first ever labour was hardly going to kill anyone. Thankfully, they agreed. At 11am (3 hours after waters were broken), the entirety of my bowels gushed out of me, all over the bed, all over the floor on the way to the toilet, all over the floor of the bathroom and down the sides of the toilet. I hadn't had a single contraction up until this point, and had one every 2 minutes straight away. I was screaming in pain and fear, and a woman came in with a wheelchair to take me to the birthing room, where I was told to "Cop the *uck on, it's not that bad and your scaring the other women".

Got to the suite where I met the midwife and trainee midwife who would assist the birth. These two women need honorary halos, I swear! They got sponges and, with the help of my partner, cleaned all the wet poo off me, helped me change into another nightdress, and fetched tissue for my partner who was bawling crying at this stage. I was shown how to use the gas and air and they even fetched tea and toast for OH to have and me if I was fit (which I wasn't, as after the second contraction using gas and air, I pretty much lost myself). They spoke to me with utter kindness, telling me at 12.30pm "Alisha, lunch is ready from 1-2, do you like lamb? We'll get some for you!". Totally pointless, but had me focused on how much time had so quickly elapsed and got me thinking of responding and engaging with the room which was a great distraction. I started pushing at 12.45 where I was encouraged and supported to push as often as I felt like I could. I was gently helped move positions.

Then an absolute CRAB of a woman came in to see what was going on. She blindsided the other two, one of which was putting my hair in a bun so it wouldn't be all sweaty and messy for the pictures OH wanted to take :pac: . She told me I needed to "hurry up the pushing, or I'd be going for surgery". and tried to make me push in the most uncomfortable position imaginable. I told her exactly where to go (the only time I was anything other than polite) and she wasn't long leaving when the other two shot her a look. When I looked like I was going to tear, they had me stop pushing and let her come naturally, and they both applauded when I was done and gave me a hug!

Care after that was very, very mixed. I was allowed to stay on the labour ward and was given breakfast as I hadn't eaten since 5pm the previous day. When I was moved to the ward, a woman tried to take my baby off me MID-BREASTFEED because I needed a shower and was "staining the sheets". I learned after the first day and night to have my family smuggle in snacks as I literally starved trying to breastfeed every half hour with nothing but 2 small meals in me. There was a traveller in the bed across who had her entire family visit daily (we are talking between 10 and 14 people) and they usually stayed until 10 or 11pm (2 hours after my partner was forced to leave). A midwife confided that they were afraid to ask them to leave, which naturally terrified me. On the second day, a woman came to tell everyone on the ward that the water would be cut off henceforth until the following morning so that no-one could shower, brush their teeth or flush the toilets. We were not even offered bottled water to drink (I managed to get my MIL to take in a few litre bottles the previous day as I was not offered anything to drink or given any help walking to the water machine). I had no pain relief the two days and nights I stayed, and even though I was present for lunch on the third day, I was not allowed to have it because I was being let out an hour later.

Definitely hoping to stay with the MLU for my next baby!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I went public through Cavan and their MLU. Care was second to none - anyone I spoke to about my waiting times, treatment and general care were shocked. I never waited more than 5 minutes for an appointment, every midwife who took me for apps knew my name, had memorized my information from previous visits, and were very chatty and reassuring. They took me in without hesitation when I thought my waters were leaking and even offered me a cup of tea and a sit-down to calm my nerves while we were waiting on the test results. When I got my first sweep, the midwife gave me a pad from her own purse because I didn't have one on me! They did everything possible to get me to go into labour naturally before my induction date - even taking me into the MLU birthing suite on my last day to bounce on the birthing ball, go for a hot bath and have a good, brisk walk before a final sweep.

Unfortunately for me, I had to be induced. Waters were broken over on the consultant side (MLU couldn't deal with me then) by a rather rough and rude woman who would not let my partner be present until I refused to have my waters broke. After it was done they had me walk back to the ward and told my partner he would have to leave and would be called when my labour had progressed to 5mins between contractions. One of the MLU midwives saw me crying and intervened for me, explaining that this level of care was not what I was promised and that none of this was explained to me, and that drawing the curtains around my bed and letting my partner stay for my first ever labour was hardly going to kill anyone. Thankfully, they agreed. At 11am (3 hours after waters were broken), the entirety of my bowels gushed out of me, all over the bed, all over the floor on the way to the toilet, all over the floor of the bathroom and down the sides of the toilet. I hadn't had a single contraction up until this point, and had one every 2 minutes straight away. I was screaming in pain and fear, and a woman came in with a wheelchair to take me to the birthing room, where I was told to "Cop the *uck on, it's not that bad and your scaring the other women".

Got to the suite where I met the midwife and trainee midwife who would assist the birth. These two women need honorary halos, I swear! They got sponges and, with the help of my partner, cleaned all the wet poo off me, helped me change into another nightdress, and fetched tissue for my partner who was bawling crying at this stage. I was shown how to use the gas and air and they even fetched tea and toast for OH to have and me if I was fit (which I wasn't, as after the second contraction using gas and air, I pretty much lost myself). They spoke to me with utter kindness, telling me at 12.30pm "Alisha, lunch is ready from 1-2, do you like lamb? We'll get some for you!". Totally pointless, but had me focused on how much time had so quickly elapsed and got me thinking of responding and engaging with the room which was a great distraction. I started pushing at 12.45 where I was encouraged and supported to push as often as I felt like I could. I was gently helped move positions.

Then an absolute CRAB of a woman came in to see what was going on. She blindsided the other two, one of which was putting my hair in a bun so it wouldn't be all sweaty and messy for the pictures OH wanted to take :pac: . She told me I needed to "hurry up the pushing, or I'd be going for surgery". and tried to make me push in the most uncomfortable position imaginable. I told her exactly where to go (the only time I was anything other than polite) and she wasn't long leaving when the other two shot her a look. When I looked like I was going to tear, they had me stop pushing and let her come naturally, and they both applauded when I was done and gave me a hug!

Care after that was very, very mixed. I was allowed to stay on the labour ward and was given breakfast as I hadn't eaten since 5pm the previous day. When I was moved to the ward, a woman tried to take my baby off me MID-BREASTFEED because I needed a shower and was "staining the sheets". I learned after the first day and night to have my family smuggle in snacks as I literally starved trying to breastfeed every half hour with nothing but 2 small meals in me. There was a traveller in the bed across who had her entire family visit daily (we are talking between 10 and 14 people) and they usually stayed until 10 or 11pm (2 hours after my partner was forced to leave). A midwife confided that they were afraid to ask them to leave, which naturally terrified me. On the second day, a woman came to tell everyone on the ward that the water would be cut off henceforth until the following morning so that no-one could shower, brush their teeth or flush the toilets. We were not even offered bottled water to drink (I managed to get my MIL to take in a few litre bottles the previous day as I was not offered anything to drink or given any help walking to the water machine). I had no pain relief the two days and nights I stayed, and even though I was present for lunch on the third day, I was not allowed to have it because I was being let out an hour later.

Definitely hoping to stay with the MLU for my next baby!

Jesus! I really, really hope at the very least that you sent a letter of complaint. Some of what you described is absolutely appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Jees Shashabear!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Shashabear I really hoped you complained about that person who spoke to you so disgustingly. That cannot happen, what an absolute wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Went private in the Coombe twice and found my pre and post care to be excellent.

On my first baby, they took her off to the baby room for a good number of hours for two nights even though they were swamped. I didn't ask, they just offered and took her off, even apologising when they brought her back! Felt wonderful to rest up for a few hours properly.

Breastfeeding advice was fine for me but I think if I had been determined to do it I wouldn't have been as happy with the support. But maybe they would have stepped that up if I'd been determined to do it, so hard to say on that one. I was happy anyway :)

Food was fine, had my own supplies too but I think that's a given with anyone in hospital anywhere. They follow their own routine and I definitely need extra supplies for snacks or hungry moments.

Pain meds were on time and correct, no problems there.

Second time round all same as above. The only issue I would have had was that I was booted out of the labour room because they needed it - fair enough. I was put on a ward in my bloody, sweaty clothes. Tea n toast was a bit slow coming and because I knew I wasn't staying on that ward (it was a pre labour ward I think) and I didn't know when I was going (kept saying any minute now), I couldn't clean or change. But once I was moved it was a good experience like the first time. No whisking this one off to baby room but there was no need for it anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I didnt have great experiences postnatally either to be honest, on either baby.

On my first I had a traveller woman who had her appendix out (she hadnt had a baby, and wasnt pregnant) in the bed across the way. There were over ten visitors around her bed, and members of a different family were up the corridor there was kids running riot, pulling back curtains etc: they eventually had to get security to clear the place and I was terrified with my little baba in her cot. I had to top her up because someone wrote her weight down wrong and she had lost over 10% of her weight. Breastfeeding help involved manhandling my boob to her mouth, and i had cracked, bleeding nipples before I ever left the hospital. The bathrooms were filthy, and the sanitary bins were full.

On my second there was a girl on our ward who lost control of her bowels after being given too many stool softeners. The midwives gave it a coursory clean up and it wasnt cleaned properly until nearly 16 hours later: which was very hard for that girl, who had no visitors that day and was struggling. ANd for the rest of us. I was put under massive massive pressure to let my daughter be taken to the "nursery" I was asked over 5 times that night, and every single time she was feeding. I shouldnt have needed to tell them thats how baby brings milk in. I was told to get back into bed when I was sitting in a chair. Also because I was breastfeeding they would only give me neurofen or paracetamol going home: seriously like there are breastfeeding friendly painkillers, and a maternity unit should know that. I didnt get a shower until I got home because they wouldnt let me go for one the afternoon I had her after passing some clots, and the following day I begged to go home.

The midwifes in general are ok, but some of them seriously need an attitude adjustment. My main midwifes were lovely both times, but some of the others werent.

I used the Your Service, Your Say to feed back my issues with the night midwifes, and got an apology. I think we need to complain more. Maternity units are underfunded and understaffed and the HSE need to be made aware of the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

cyning wrote: »

I used the Your Service, Your Say to feed back my issues with the night midwifes, and got an apology. I think we need to complain more. Maternity units are underfunded and understaffed and the HSE need to be made aware of the problems.

Definitely agree, if no one complains then there are "no" problems to be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Almost all of my newborn sized vests and babygros were taken by the Nigerian lady in the bed next to me. I didn't care about the clothes. I just was so upset that she'd been in my cubicle with my baby in those two minutes I'd left him to go to the loo. I genuinely had thought he'd be safe and ok, he was asleep at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lily09

I gave birth two weeks ago in CUMH. My prenatal care was fantastic as I was public and high risk I was scanned at every appointment and monitored constantly. The birth was induced and the way I was treated was exemplery. The midwives were beyond amazing, the ladies from the induction suite even came up to see the baby after she was born.
    Fortunatly my experience of post natal care was similar, as a first time clueless mother the midwives were constantly popping in checking on feeding and asking how I felt physically and emotionally. There are only 2 beds in the public ward.it was clear they were rushed off their feet but I never was made to feel stupid for asking what I know were pretty stupid questions..
    Food was disgusting though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Oh god these stories are scaring me!! I did domino in holles st so only stayed a few hours.

Advertisement