Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afternoon Tea at the Westbury

Options
  • 01-03-2015 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Has anybody tried afternoon tea at the Westbury?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Yes I liked it.
    It's nice to do for a treat.:-)
    It's a long service too from half one to five I think.

They had diff cakes and finger sandwiches each time we went though. Same selection of teas.

They have a champagne tea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It is nice, but I think that the Merrions art tea and the Shelbournes afternoon tea are better. The Westburys is good, but if you are going to be dropping that kind of money, I'd go to one of the other two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I think the Westbury is very open, doesn't feel special enough to justify the money IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

athtrasna wrote: »
    I think the Westbury is very open, doesn't feel special enough to justify the money IMO

It can be great for people watching though!

I've heard The Merrion does a fantastic Afternoon Tea.
    Westbury is a lovely location and still a great hotel though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Afternoon tea at the Shelbourne has always appealed to me.

Took at look at their menu there and it's about 48 euro. Is that per person or for 2? It doesn't specify so I'm presuming it's per person which puts it outta my price range I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Afternoon tea at the Merrion is amazing!

The Shelbourne, although I don't go there very often, always and without fail lets itself down with bad service. For that reason alone, I wouldn't spend the money they want for afternoon tea. (I did go there for an afternooon tea in the year after it reopened and it was an unmitigated disaster start to finish. Never again.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Afternoon tea at the Shelbourne has always appealed to me.

Took at look at their menu there and it's about 48 euro. Is that per person or for 2? It doesn't specify so I'm presuming it's per person which puts it outta my price range I think.

It's per person. It is only 48 quid if you get the champagne option. The regular afternoon tea is 35/37, depending on whether you go on a weekend or a weekday. If you can manage it, go on a week day. The hotels are generally so much busier on weekends, that can really impact the over all level of service. The staff are generally well intentioned, but they are so run off their feet, it is hard to get the level of service that the money you are paying warrants imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It's per person. It is only 48 quid if you get the champagne option. The regular afternoon tea is 35/37, depending on whether you go on a weekend or a weekday. If you can manage it, go on a week day. The hotels are generally so much busier on weekends, that can really impact the over all level of service. The staff are generally well intentioned, but they are so run off their feet, it is hard to get the level of service that the money you are paying warrants imo.

Yeah that's what I figured alright. Maybe I'll wait until that big pay cheque comes in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I noticed the Westbury do a children's afternoon tea, are there any other hotels in Dublin that do that?

It's something I'd love to take my little girls to!

Just saw the Shelbourne do it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Well I ask because I want to treat my mam for her birthday and Mothers Day also falls the day before her birthday. She has already had afternoon tea at the Shelbourne and loved it but it would be nice to try somewhere else. Would the Merrion require us to be smartly dressed, my mam would be alright? I know this might seem like a silly question and we are the paying customer but does the Merrion allow jeans (for me)? Mind you, the Westbury are probably up on that level too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Oleander wrote: »
    Well I ask because I want to treat my mam for her birthday and Mothers Day also falls the day before her birthday. She has already had afternoon tea at the Shelbourne and loved it but it would be nice to try somewhere else. Would the Merrion require us to be smartly dressed, my mam would be alright? I know this might seem like a silly question and we are the paying customer but does the Merrion allow jeans (for me)? Mind you, the Westbury are probably up on that level too.

Take her to Ariel House, the nicest afternoon tea in Dublin in my opinion and while it's a lovely place it's not overly formal so jeans would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

athtrasna wrote: »
    Take her to Ariel House, the nicest afternoon tea in Dublin in my opinion and while it's a lovely place it's not overly formal so jeans would be fine.

I'll second that. Ariel House afternoon tea is fabulous. Its on Lansdowne Rd though so maybe slightly off your beaten track.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RosieP

I'd never heard of Ariel House, just had a look, their afternoon tea looks lovely. I'll definitely have to give it a try.
    Thanks for the tip :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Bon Appetit in Malahide, the only Michelin starred Afternoon Tea in Ireland.

Lovely walk along the seaside afterwards. Its €25 a head so basically half the price of the others. And its genuinely light years ahead.

(I am declaring that I have an indirect involvement in this place, but I stand by my comments regardless). Its 100% worth checking out ahead of the Merrion, Westbury or Shelbourne, which I've all done.

Advertisement