Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2009 Kia Cee'd. 70k miles

Options
  • 01-03-2015 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Looking to possibly buy a 2009 Kia Cee'd with 70k miles. It's a UK import. 1.5 (?) diesel.
    Been quoted 8.5K. What's the verdict please?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Verify the mileage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

8.5 k is a bit steep imo

you can get them cheaper up north

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

1.6 diesel. Great cars, good engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bredacq

Thanks, I will. I have contacts up North so I might look into that so. The only thing is that if something goes wrong, it's handier to bring it back if it's bought closer to home.

Also, should an 09 Kia cee'd still have a year or more warranty left on it? Did they all have a 7 year warranty? I was told there was no manufacturers warranty left on it (but he'd look after it if something went wrong). Would the warranty expire before the 7 years if it wasn't serviced when it was supposed to be?

I was also looking at a 2012 Auris 50k miles for €14,200. Auris are a lot more expensive though and I see that a lot of ye don't think they're worth they extra cost.

Looking for a replacement for our 2nd car which is an '05 2L Vauxhall Vectra but my 18 year old learner driver son will be driving it also, so I want a smaller car and don't want to be shelling out a lot of money that I can't afford on a car that will also be used by a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What sort of driving will be done in the car? If just used for short stop/start journeys then a petrol will be more suitable and would be a bit cheaper to buy over the diesel. Hyundai i30 is worth looking at too, it's the sister car of the Ceed.

• Advertisement

Will probably be doing about 300 or more miles a week. it varies with all that goes on in this house. Mostly 25 mile journeys (one way) very few stop/start journeys.
    The roads we would be using would good enough though (not country boreens) and very little town driving.
    Yeah , the fella selling the Kia also sells imported UK Hyundai i30s also but they cost a little bit more. He said they are practically the same car but the i30s are a bit more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I'm always so wary of these chaps selling imported stuff. Probably a bit unnecessary but too much dodgy stuff going on.

This guy is local and while I've only met him recently he has a reputation of being an honest enough guy.

I'm still undecided on what to get though. Our main car, a 2005 2l diesel Hyundai Traget now needs a reconditioned gear box- everything happens together of course - which will cost 1.7k (2k if the clutch needs to be done also).
    There's 101k miles up on it, I had heard the gearboxes give trouble in the diesel so I was only waiting for this to happen. I don't know if it's worth our while fixing it. What do ye think?
    If I decide not to fix it, I wouldn't be looking to replace it with another 7 seater as I no longer need one. This also means that I dont necessarily need a diesel to replace the Vectra as the mileage and driving would be different. I would have less to spend on it now anyway.

What would ye think of a 2008 Toyota Corolla 1.3 (this is what I was told but could it be a 1.4) petrol, 80k miles, €385 road tax, for €7,500?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

bredacq wrote: »
    This guy is local and while I've only met him recently he has a reputation of being an honest enough guy.

I'm still undecided on what to get though. Our main car, a 2005 2l diesel Hyundai Traget now needs a reconditioned gear box- everything happens together of course - which will cost 1.7k (2k if the clutch needs to be done also).
    There's 101k miles up on it, I had heard the gearboxes give trouble in the diesel so I was only waiting for this to happen. I don't know if it's worth our while fixing it. What do ye think?
    If I decide not to fix it, I wouldn't be looking to replace it with another 7 seater as I no longer need one. This also means that I dont necessarily need a diesel to replace the Vectra as the mileage and driving would be different. I would have less to spend on it now anyway.

What would ye think of a 2008 Toyota Corolla 1.3 (this is what I was told but could it be a 1.4) petrol, 80k miles, €385 road tax, for €7,500?

Steep again, that is a 7 year old car. I recently sold my 2012 Polo for €9,400 so you can definitely get more car for that money.

Trying to decide is head wrecking! So many conflicting opinions in general. Think I have decided and then I hear something to make me change my mind.
    Now that we are buying two cars, I think one petrol might suit us for now and we can buy a better diesel next year.

I know the corollas are pricier that some other makes.

Does anyone know anything about Kia Rios. I think a saloon might suit our needs better than a hatchback (smelly football gear left in the boot a lot).

On Donedeal (I'm not allowed to attach a link though)
    2006 1.3 petrol 46.5k miles for €4,250, one owner, full main dealer service history.
    2010 1.5 liter diesel, 88k miles €7,950 both are being sold privately.

Thanks for taking the time to answer by the way.

• Advertisement

Those Corollas aren't worth paying a premium for. The post 07 model isn't really a great all round car.

Any experience of the Kia Rio? Are they as reliable as the Kia Cee'ds are supposed to be?

Yeah, rios are quite reliable. They're a bit old fashioned though. Like a Hyundai accent.
    The saloon is supprisingly big inside, and well equipped too, most have aircon and 4 electric windows.

The 1.5 diesel in them is a nice engine too.

I wouldn't care too much about how the car looks (to a certain extent), I'd be more worried about reliability. Ideally Id like a car that will last me 7/8 yrs without having to put a lot of money into it, as a run around (hence a petrol might be better?).

In time we will have to get a better car to replace the Trajet so that will be the main car then.

I still don't know if it's worth fixing it and then selling it in a year or replacing it now.

Do ye think putting €2k into it now to replace the gearbox and possibly the clutch (see my post above) now is worth it or should I cut my losses and replace it.

The trajet is worth feck all with or without a gearbox. Cut your losses with it.

1.4 rio would be a good reliable car IMO.

I thought the same, but it's going to be tough to afford to buy 2 cars at the same time. Head wrecking decisions!

Thanks for the all the help guys.

Why not keep the vectra and buy a small car too?

The Vectra needs a new clutch and there's oil leaking from somewhere into the water so that's definitely for the scarp yard.

Oh jaysus, ye're awful hard in gearboxes :)

Tbh you're better off biting the bullet and getting 2 cars.

Do you have €15k at your disposal, I saw that figure mentioned for an auris. You'd get 2 very decent cars for that budget.

Well the Trajet is the car I usually drove and that's renowned for gearbox problems anyway. The Vectra was usually driven by the hubby but our 18year old has been learning in it with the last 6 months or so, so he could have contributed to the problem too.
    Don't you know us women drivers are never to blame :-)

• Advertisement

Do you actually need a trajet sized car anymore?

No we don't really, that's what I was saying in an earlier post.

We'll try and replace the 7 seater with a "roomy" diesel car and use that as the good/long distance car.

We'll try and replace the Vectra with a smaller car for short trips and my son can drive that also.

I know ye're not partial to corollas but hoping to go and see an 07 1.4 petrol saloon with 27.5k miles (with service history) for €6,950 (ish) tomorrow. The tax is €385 on it.

I know tax is based on emissions but any idea why is the tax on an 07 and early 08 is cheaper than the tax for that same model in 09 to 11?

Because they're relatively high emissions, ie they are relatively hard on petrol. The older cc based tax isn't always higher than newer emissions tax.

07 petrol corollas make around €5500 by the way, €6950 is a bit strong.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Those Corollas aren't worth paying a premium for. The post 07 model isn't really a great all round car.

When you say 'post 07' do you mean the 07s are ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Matthewjohn

bredacq wrote: »
    When you say 'post 07' do you mean the 07s are ok?

I'm assuming he means the 2007-2013 model Corolla. If it's a 2007 you're looking at, it could be either the old model or the newer shape. The newer model are okay reliability wise but are not as bullet-proof as the previous generation. Its also rather dull and lacking in spec.

How about this?
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-passat-1-4tsi/8678974?offset=8

I'm assuming he means the 2007-2013 model Corolla. If it's a 2007 you're looking at, it could be either the old model or the newer shape. The newer model are okay reliability wise but are not as bullet-proof as the previous generation. Its also rather dull and lacking in spec.

How about this

Are those the ones with the 07-10 BXE engines that are failing?
    A friend had one of these I think, and the engine failed in it a few months ago. 7.5k for a new engine. He went some other route though so it cost him 4.5k to get it fixed.

If the tax is the lower €385, then should it be the older '07 model ?

I really don't mind about the dullness and spec. Low mileage is more appealing.

Pre july 08 cars were taxed by engine size, so both old and new model corolla 1.4 are taxed as 1.4

Advertisement