Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 1), Mar 6-7, 2015

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Da fuq would anyone need a scoreboard for? You either know the score or you shouldn't be there! Dundalk had one last year.pile of poo and when it was taken away after a trial run nobody complained - not one complained

I'll rephrase then. I'd like a clock at games. Most stadia have them. Tolka Park actually has the old scoreboard still there at the Ballybough end but it's not working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

I think rovers are the only team in the league to have a scoreboard,

Come on down to Eamonn Deacy Park in Terryland!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I think rovers are the only team in the league to have a scoreboard, and that's a relatively new addition IIRC

Jesus Cabinteely. #greatestleagueintheworld

Looking forward to the trip down to Limerick tomorrow, love the first game of the season.

remember kick off is 6.30 not 7 as stated in OP...Just putting my season ticket into the wallet now before i head off to work...Come on Limerick:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

CSF wrote: »
    The sponsorship thing should be sorted in the short-term as far as I know.

Most of the other things just come down to a lack of resources, because it is hard to run a business without being able to pay non-playing staff. We are heavily reliant on volunteers unfortunately.

Good to hear about the sponsorship end.

Great to have volunteers but unless they're doing things right they're not much use. I know you can't say that to them, otherwise they wouldn't be there next week. But the fact that people volunteer shouldn't be an excuse for it not being done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

ratracer wrote: »
    I think rovers are the only team in the league to have a scoreboard,

Come on down to Eamonn Deacy Park in Terryland!!

There is also one in Finn Park...or there was two/three years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

howiya wrote: »
    I'll rephrase then. I'd like a clock at games. Most stadia have them. Tolka Park actually has the old scoreboard still there at the Ballybough end but it's not working

A scoreboard and the other things you mentioned are luxuries not essentials. Cutting back on these things is what's allowing the club to currently operate at a very small profit. Hopefully one day all those nice little touches will be back but until then we'll just have to download livescore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Not that it effected the result but the Cabinteely pitch is awful, something to watch out for

B_cp71JXAAAAqqB.jpg

it is a rugby pitch to be fair, should be ok during the summer I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

AgileMyth wrote: »
    We've put in two scoreboards in my time following the rovers. No one remembers to start the clock for the second half so its a bit useless.

You need to find someone who always sets a stopwatch. There'll be a few in every ground!

I always make sure I have my watch with me for that reason!

Finn Park has a scoreboard but the time doesn't work on it anymore.

I think it should be a requirement for each ground to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I always make sure I have my watch with me for that reason!

Finn Park has a scoreboard but the time doesn't work on it anymore.

I think it should be a requirement for each ground to be honest.

Really? Seems totally unnecessary to me. Realistically, just having a covered spectator area in every ground every year would be a start. Or in the case of The Drom, some dry ground to stand on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Danny North fairly packs a few pounds doesn't he?

and still outpaced McGuinness for the goal:pac:
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Shame we have nothing to offer other than pass out wide, fair play to rovers didnt miss those 5 players who are suspended and prolly wont get in the 1st 11. Lucky they only kids and playing for free.

Absolutely - it's just a stepping stone to move to Pats of course..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Of all the problems the league has, a clock at grounds isn't one of them.

Do people not have phones with the time on them? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Poor game in Tallaght last night, I'd imagine it looked awful on TV. God help the poor camera men trying to follow the ball.

Pat's a very dirty side, so many late challenges, surprised no one walked. Some save at the end by Hyland although he was poor under any sort of cross or high ball. Pat's have no plan B, I think they'll find it difficult this year to be honest. Haven't really strengthened at all and people will be aware of how they play.

Danny North was packing a few pounds but won a lot of ball, and brought the midfield into the game. I think his finishing alone will have a big effect on how well we perform this year. Big crowd too and let's hope that continues.

I believe if Dundalk's McMillan scores like Hoban did last year they'll be the team to beat as they have a scary midfield. Think it'll be a close league with Rovers playing a bigger part than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Fanzone on today fm have devoted a huge amount of space to LOI callers and texts today. Is this a regular thing or is it just a once off due to the lack of PL fixtures this weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

First visit to Stradbrook and I have to say, they're a fair and friendly bunch. Got to talk to proper football people all through the night and they have some nice facilities there. Only comment I'll make on the game is that they coped better with the conditions than us and deserved the win

There was a good crowd last night and, as Youths fans know, it is all about momentum. Cabo have a win under their belt, but I fear that locals may not see many good games of football there, because of the pitch. If the conditions dictate that the football on display last night is typical of what is on offer, many will drift away.

I urge everyone associated with the club to ensure that the pitch, rather than results, is the priority. True fans will stick with a developing side, but they will soon get fed up with beach ball footy.

There was some dire football played at Ferrycarrig Park a few years back and we lost 100's off the weekly attendance. Cabinteely would want to make sure the pitch, rather than the team, doesn't bring them down the same road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bohs 2-0 up against Limerick inside 15mins.

Top of the League n all that jazz...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ebbs wrote: »
    Haven't really strengthened at all and people will be aware of how they play.

We have a much better squad than last season, wouldnt be writing us off after one game. We wont play many better teams than Rovers, I think we will be fine when we have a full squad to choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pat's have no plan B, I think they'll find it difficult this year to be honest. Haven't really strengthened at all and people will be aware of how they play.
    Jesus, that's a bit knee jerk. Pats have one of the best squads in the league. How do you know they have no plan B? Maybe they just had a bad night at the office. And to be fair if it was as windy in Tallaght as it was in Dundalk last night the option of changing it up and going long was pretty much nullified.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Limerick are terrible, genuinely awful. We haven't played well in the slightest but well worth our lead.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Limerick are terrible, genuinely awful. We haven't played well in the slightest but well worth our lead.

3-0 now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Omackeral wrote: »
    3-0 now.

A better team than us would have put 4 or 5 past them without trouble. Happy to start the season off with 3 points none the less though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Top of the league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Sligo 1, Beattie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Gaynor 96 min

FT Sligo 1-1 CCFC

Good result for Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jeffery lebowski

Rovers 1 - 1 Cork

A tough battle in horrible conditions, but gutted to concede in the 97th minute. Cork time wasted all 1st half against the wind and the ref found 1 minute - Found 5 in 2nd half and played 7!?

Happy with attitude and application of Rovers. New players impressed. Especially Folan, Neilsen, Beattie. Don't think it was Puri's type of game.

Cork are big and physical, but a poor footballing team. Didn't have a clue how to play with the wind. Miller anonymous but Healy class.

Early impressions of Owen Heary is that he is going to have his team up for the battle and giving 100% every time - That's half the battle in this league.

3082 is a good crowd on a rough night - good following from Cork up.

Onwards and upwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

dreamers75 wrote: »
    We have a much better squad than last season, wouldnt be writing us off after one game. We wont play many better teams than Rovers, I think we will be fine when we have a full squad to choose from.

Worried about JMcG at the back tho. Hope Desmond can prove good enough to take his place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Worried about JMcG at the back tho. Hope Desmond can prove good enough to take his place

Desmond is ridiculously good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

CSF wrote: »
    Desmond is ridiculously good.

Did well in Preseason, will be a great option for bringing the ball out similar to Browne.

Not too worried about JmcG, hes not a good footballer and wont get many games.

Hope Mc Grath is fit for Firday, he will be a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

i fancy sligo to have a good season, I am not convinced by cork not enough pace, energy in their team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wasted chances was the tale for Bray in the Carlisle. The better teams will hammer Drogs, not one nice bit of football all evening from them. Time wasted from the start of second half but bray not good enough to take their chances, should have had 2 by time the goal went in. Infuriating stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Poor game in Tallaght last night, I'd imagine it looked awful on TV. God help the poor camera men trying to follow the ball.

Pat's a very dirty side, so many late challenges, surprised no one walked. Some save at the end by Hyland although he was poor under any sort of cross or high ball. Pat's have no plan B, I think they'll find it difficult this year to be honest. Haven't really strengthened at all and people will be aware of how they play.

Danny North was packing a few pounds but won a lot of ball, and brought the midfield into the game. I think his finishing alone will have a big effect on how well we perform this year. Big crowd too and let's hope that continues.

I believe if Dundalk's McMillan scores like Hoban did last year they'll be the team to beat as they have a scary midfield. Think it'll be a close league with Rovers playing a bigger part than last year.

Pats were definitely dirtier on the night.

Don't think they'll struggle this year though. They've probably the strongest squad overall in the league this season even if I think our midfield is better overall. Can't see them outside the top three to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Pat's a very dirty side, so many late challenges, surprised no one walked.
    anncoates wrote: »
    Pats were definitely dirtier on the night.

They were the exact same against Dundalk in the presidents cup. Lot of sly late tackles and leaving the foot in. Bolger alone could have had 5 or 6 yellows. Buckley has them fired up maybe if they had this aggression last year they might not have finished 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pats have been like that for while tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

doncarlos wrote: »
    They were the exact same against Dundalk in the presidents cup. Lot of sly late tackles and leaving the foot in. Bolger alone could have had 5 or 6 yellows. Buckley has them fired up maybe if they had this aggression last year they might not have finished 3rd.

He was the same last night. Forrester seemed to be trying to start a row for the whole first half and it took away from his own game IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

srfc d16 wrote: »
    He was the same last night. Forrester seemed to be trying to start a row for the whole first half and it took away from his own game IMO.

To be fair, SOC was acting like a twat there as well.

Parties for his departure must still be taking place in Inchicore.

The SSE Airtricity League Premier Division table after Round 1

11006422_914523188587927_4691913798359245062_n.jpg?oh=fda82174d8de10d503209ad15d445731&oe=5591B7ED&__gda__=1438311012_52a15842ee3a1d3edf1cf8b1985ad8c0

Advertisement