Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is TLOU a top 50 game or not?

Options
  • 28-02-2015 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭

Going to start The Last Of Us tonight. Never played it on the PS3 and heard great things on this forum. Going to be hard to drag myself away from Fifa tho :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Going to start The Last Of Us tonight. Never played it on the PS3 and heard great things on this forum. Going to be hard to drag myself away from Fifa tho :pac:

You're in for a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Fakman87 wrote: »
    You're in for a treat!

Or a massive disappointment, depending on how much you bought into the hype

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Thepoet85 wrote: »

Brilliant game, well worth your investment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

COYVB wrote: »
    Or a massive disappointment, depending on how much you bought into the hype

?? The hype?

It is easily the best game is.have ever played.he is in for a treat that's for sure

?? The hype?

It is easily the best game is.have ever played.he is in for a treat that's for sure

Yeah, the hype.

It's not even Naughty Dog's best PS3 game, never mind one of the best games ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's a fantastic game. Might not be as innovative as a Nintendo game, but it's incredible for lots of reasons, not least the fantastic multiplayer. I played the whole thing through again last month to see if it just flattered to deceive the first time around, but no, it was still fantastic.

Brilliant controls, cleverly developed set-piece battles and considering the decent length of the game, the story and the pace it played out at never really got dull.

I definitely think the Uncharted series was at times hyped beyond it's merits, but this, for me, was justified.

We differ I suppose. I genuinely don't rate TLOU that much TBH. I think it managed to pull the wool over a lot of people's eyes, and was magnificently marketed, but as a game... nah, not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I didn't think much of tlou either . To me it was just old stuff stuck together for a newer generation. Resident evil + Mgs is all it reminded me of . For me Wolfenstein and Dying light are much better games .

I didn't think much of tlou either . To me it was just old stuff stuck together for a newer generation. Resident evil + Mgs is all it reminded me of . For me Wolfenstein and Dying light are much better games .

Every game does something other games do. That's the nature of the business. No game is absolutely unique. TLOU was game of the year for a reason

tgdaly wrote: »
    TLOU was game of the year for a reason

Except no such thing exists :)

• Advertisement

Except no such thing exists :)

Except it clearly does :)

Except it clearly does :)

Oh, really? Show me

You're showing me a list of individual game of the year awards. You said "Game of the Year" exists. That list shows it doesn't

It shows there's a consensus among a group out outlets, the results of whose own game of the year awards agree, but that's absolutely not the same thing

You're showing me a list of individual game of the year awards. You said "Game of the Year" exists. That list shows it doesn't

It shows there's a consensus among a group out outlets, the results of whose own game of the year awards agree, but that's absolutely not the same thing

Then I guess best anything doesn't exist.

Then I guess best anything doesn't exist.

Not unless there's an official industry standard for it. Case in point the Academy Awards. No such thing exists in games, so there is no such thing as a definitive game of the year

For the record, despite all those outlets giving TLOU their game of the year, it was outscored by those same publications, on average, by GTA V

Not unless there's an official industry standard for it. Case in point the Academy Awards. No such thing exists in games, so there is no such thing as a definitive game of the year

For the record, despite all those outlets giving TLOU their game of the year, it was outscored by those same publications, on average, by GTA V

If you value Academy Awards over Golden Globes, Screen Actors guild etc.

If you value Academy Awards over Golden Globes, Screen Actors guild etc.

Very good point really. No award is definitive, they're all opinions. IIRC for 2013 TLOU wasn't in my top 15

Very good point really. No award is definitive, they're all opinions. IIRC for 2013 TLOU wasn't in my top 15

Which game is IIRC? Can't think in my head

Which game is IIRC? Can't think in my head

Haha, not a game. It's "If I remember correctly"

• Advertisement

Haha, not a game. It's "If I remember correctly"

Haha sorry. Although I think TLOU is a brilliant game it actually wouldn't have been my own personal choice either, but I'd be picking my favorite game which is completely different

I'd be picking my favorite game which is completely different

It's genuinely not. Game of the Year awards are, quite literally, straw polls of the favourite games of the people writing for the publication. Nothing more, nothing less. Been involved with many of them in the last decade, and there's nowhere close to as much thought that goes into them as you might think

It's genuinely not. Game of the Year awards are, quite literally, straw polls of the favourite games of the people writing for the publication. Nothing more, nothing less. Been involved with many of them in the last decade, and there's nowhere close to as much thought that goes into them as you might think

Same as any award really

Pretty much. It's also why games released right at the start of the year tend to be forgotten about when it comes to awards. They're all worthless for everyone but the winner who gets to pretend their award is meaningful. I looked up my GOTY for 2013 - I gave it to Rayman Legends, which I stand by. I also abused my position as EIC to make that the publication's GOTY too. In fact I discarded quite a few of my colleague's opinions for that list, but conceded 19th out of 20 for TLOU.

I'm a terrible professional, and probably a terrible person too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Pretty much. It's also why games released right at the start of the year tend to be forgotten about when it comes to awards. They're all worthless for everyone but the winner who gets to pretend their award is meaningful. I looked up my GOTY for 2013 - I gave it to Rayman Legends, which I stand by. I also abused my position as EIC to make that the publication's GOTY too. In fact I discarded quite a few of my colleague's opinions for that list, but conceded 19th out of 20 for TLOU.

I'm a terrible professional, and probably a terrible person too.

I'd be interested in seeing that list if TLOU only came 19th.

Will stick it up later. Note that i didn't think it deserved inclusion anywhere, never mind 19th. That was me conceding ground. I'd not have put it in the top 50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Will stick it up later. Note that i didn't think it deserved inclusion anywhere, never mind 19th. That was me conceding ground. I'd not have put it in the top 50

In that case I assume Bioshock Infinite is ahead of it, so I don't need to see the list :-P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

2013 in summary:

Papers Please > Everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Nah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Hold on.. people have different opinions... Well I never!

Advertisement