Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is TLOU a top 50 game or not?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Of course they don't, opinions are a social construct. Games can be objectively evaluated. Anybody who disagrees with the consensus is factually wrong.

(Am I doing this right? Should I throw in some disparaging comments about social justice warriors?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

COYVB wrote: »
    Will stick it up later. Note that i didn't think it deserved inclusion anywhere, never mind 19th. That was me conceding ground. I'd not have put it in the top 50

I'm really interested to know why you didn't even rate it top 50. I know there was nothing groundbreaking about the gameplay but I thought it was done well and the shooting was very visceral for me, plus the story and character development were outstanding IMO. I genuinely found it more engrossing than most films.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Will stick it up later. Note that i didn't think it deserved inclusion anywhere, never mind 19th. That was me conceding ground. I'd not have put it in the top 50
    am I reading this all wrong? are you saying the last of us wouldnt be in your top 50 games of that calender year or all time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

GAMES RELEASED ON THAT DAY!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Each to their own and all but that just stinks of trying to be different for the sake of it. It's quite clearly an objectively very well made game in pretty much all aspects, even if it might not be your cup of tea. How many games would you even play in full in a year?

• Advertisement

In fairness, he'd get through 'em.

Each to their own and all but that just stinks of trying to be different for the sake of it. It's quite clearly an objectively very well made game in pretty much all aspects, even if it might not be your cup of tea. How many games would you even play in full in a year?
    yep what i was thinking too. that would actually turn me off his articles tbh. I mean if someone didnt like it fair enough but come on not in top 50 in that year? yeah ok then.. lol

feck it i would actually love to see that article and wanna know exactly where the last of us would fit in outside the top 50?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Stop talking rubbish just to sound cool or whatever it is you are trying to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Fakman87 wrote: »
    I'm really interested to know why you didn't even rate it top 50. I know there was nothing groundbreaking about the gameplay but I thought it was done well and the shooting was very visceral for me, plus the story and character development were outstanding IMO. I genuinely found it more engrossing than most films.

I honestly just didn't like it. Simple as that really. If I had the opportunity to play through every single game I ever wanted to for the rest of my life, TLOU wouldn't be one of them.

• Advertisement

20. Warframe
    19. The Last of Us
    18. Saints Row IV
    17. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
    16. Injustice: Gods Among Us
    15. Lego City Undercover
    14. Tomb Raider
    13. Pokemon X/Y
    12. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    11. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
    10. Flower
    09. Forza Motorsport 5
    08. Super Mario 3D World
    07. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    06. BioShock Infinite
    05. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
    04. Papers Please
    03. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
    02. Grand Theft Auto V
    01. Rayman Legends

Had I not had final say before going to print, TLOU would've probably been up top 5. Had I ran with my list in its entirety, it would've probably been something like this:

20. A Tale of Two Sons
    19. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
    18. Pikmin 3
    17. Tearaway
    16. BioShock Infinite
    15. Fire Emblem: Awakening
    14. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    13. Warframe
    12. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
    11. Flower
    10. Saints Row IV
    09. Tomb Raider
    08. Resogun
    07. Papers Please
    06. Forza Motorsport 5
    05. Super Mario 3D World
    04. Grand Theft Auto V
    03. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
    02. Rayman Legends
    01. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

I honestly just didn't like it. Simple as that really. If I had the opportunity to play through every single game I ever wanted to for the rest of my life, TLOU wouldn't be one of them.
    so what are the 50 games that year that you rated higher than the last of us?

How many games would you even play in full in a year?

Jesus... typically? 200?

Jesus... typically? 200?
    200 full play throughs a year? i take it you are playing through games fully to give an accurate judgement on them all?

And he gets paid for it... the so n' so.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

mdwexford wrote: »

Thought I was the only one arguing against the point. No offense to you COYVB, but the whole thing reminds me of those few scientist who try and argue that climate change isn't happening. To each their own though, each opinion is equal

holy mackerel batman.... cex already have 65 copies of the order instore... gonna trade it tomorrow for cash and buy it for a tenner in 6 months so...

so what are the 50 games that year that you rated higher than the last of us?

oooh, a challenge! Taking the my top 20 for 2013 and expanding upon it...

50. F1 2013
    49. Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
    48. Metro: Last Light
    47. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist
    46. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
    45. BattleBlock Theater
    44. Doki-Doki Universe
    43. Injustice: Gods Among Us
    42. DmC: Devil May Cry
    41. Peggle 2
    40. XCOM: Enemy Within
    39. Rocksmith 2014 Edition
    38. Lego City Undercover
    37. Bit.Trip Runner2
    36. Cloudberry Kingdom
    35. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix
    34. FIFA 14
    33. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
    32. Dead Rising 3
    31. NBA 2K14
    30. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    29. The Stanley Parable
    28. Waveform
    27. Rogue Legacy
    26. Fez
    25. New Super Luigi U
    24. Gran Turismo 6
    23. Thomas Was Alone
    22. Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
    21. Hotline Miami
    20. A Tale of Two Sons
    18. Pikmin 3
    17. Tearaway
    16. BioShock Infinite
    13. Warframe
    11. Flower
    10. Saints Row IV
    09. Tomb Raider
    08. Resogun
    07. Papers Please
    06. Forza Motorsport 5
    05. Super Mario 3D World
    04. Grand Theft Auto V
    02. Rayman Legends

*Caveat: 2013 was a while ago, and not a massive amount of thought has gone into that list

200 full play throughs a year? i take it you are playing through games fully to give an accurate judgement on them all?

Give or take. Maybe more maybe less depending on the year. And not all through to 100% completion necessarily. I used to be able to play more, last year wasn't a great one for me on that front. This year has started out alright I suppose

Good to see Rocksmith 2014 getting in there. It came in late to the music-game fad, and I think incidentally, it's miles ahead of all them.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    Good to see Rocksmith 2014 getting in there. It came in late to the music-game fad, and I think incidentally, it's miles ahead of all them.

It's fantastic. I really, really wish I had the time to put in serious hours with it. But I'm still relatively useless both on bass and 6-string. I can't blame Ubisoft for my lack of talent though. Grabbed it on the PS4 there over the Chrimbo and have played it about twice :(

Give or take. Maybe more maybe less depending on the year. And not all through to 100% completion necessarily. I used to be able to play more, last year wasn't a great one for me on that front. This year has started out alright I suppose
    jesus holy mary........ does gaming not become boring playing that much?

in saying that i have all next gen consoles :D

mdwexford wrote: »

Trust me buddy, I genuinely could not give two tosses what you or anyone on here thinks of my opinion about games. I get paid to play them, write about them, speak to developers about them and go to events about them, you do not.

That doesn't make my opinion better than yours, or anyone elses, that just makes me not give a toss what you or anyone else thinks about my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

oooh, a challenge! Taking the my top 20 for 2013 and expanding upon it...

50. F1 2013
    49. Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
    48. Metro: Last Light
    47. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist
    46. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
    45. BattleBlock Theater
    44. Doki-Doki Universe
    43. Injustice: Gods Among Us
    42. DmC: Devil May Cry
    41. Peggle 2
    40. XCOM: Enemy Within
    39. Rocksmith 2014 Edition
    38. Lego City Undercover
    37. Bit.Trip Runner2
    36. Cloudberry Kingdom
    35. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix
    34. FIFA 14
    33. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
    32. Dead Rising 3
    31. NBA 2K14
    30. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    29. The Stanley Parable
    28. Waveform
    27. Rogue Legacy
    26. Fez
    25. New Super Luigi U
    24. Gran Turismo 6
    23. Thomas Was Alone
    22. Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
    21. Hotline Miami
    20. A Tale of Two Sons
    18. Pikmin 3
    17. Tearaway
    16. BioShock Infinite
    13. Warframe
    11. Flower
    10. Saints Row IV
    09. Tomb Raider
    08. Resogun
    07. Papers Please
    06. Forza Motorsport 5
    05. Super Mario 3D World
    04. Grand Theft Auto V
    02. Rayman Legends

*Caveat: 2013 was a while ago, and not a massive amount of thought has gone into that list

At least I can safely put you on the disregard opinion on games list! To each their own ofcourse.

jesus holy mary........ does gaming not become boring playing that much?

Painfully so, yes. The fun stopped a long time ago.

irishmover wrote: »
    At least I can safely put you on the disregard opinion on games list! To each their own ofcourse.

Happy to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Happy to be there

With games like GT6 (worst in series) and FIFA 14 regarded as better than TLOU I doubt you'd find many on here with a similar opinion to yours.

I've played all the music games quite a bit, and what I realised about the song choices of games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band compared to Rocksmith is the first two chose songs based on popularity, regardless of if they could make it work as an interesting challenge or not. Some songs were so boring to "play".

And with Rocksmith when I first read the tracklist, I was disappointed, but almost all the songs are there for a reason, all with different styles and using different techniques. It's also one of the only games that you come away with some real knowledge and skills that you can apply in the real world, and vice versa.

irishmover wrote: »
    With games like GT6 (worst in series) and FIFA 14 regarded as better than TLOU I doubt you'd find many on here with a similar opinion to yours.

I doubt anyone would find many who would agree with everything on a top 50 for a given year

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    I've played all the music games quite a bit, and what I realised about the song choices of games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band compared to Rocksmith is the first two chose songs based on popularity, regardless of if they could make it work as an interesting challenge or not. Some songs were so boring to "play".

And with Rocksmith when I first read the tracklist, I was disappointed, but almost all the songs are there for a reason, all with different styles and using different techniques. It's also one of the only games that you come away with some real knowledge and skills that you can apply in the real world, and vice versa.

I was the same. When I first heard about it I was super excited, but then I saw the tracks as they were being announced and wasn't entirely enamoured. They all work, even if they're not the most exciting things sonically. The addition of bass support I thought would get me properly into it, but alas it wasn't to be.

One thing I noted with the first version was that there was this random, and almost impossible difficulty spike for me. I went from being able to do fine, to not being able to hit the majority of the notes. That was sorted second time round for me, but I'd love to know if it was something that affected everyone, or it was just the way the game adapted to me

Advertisement