Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is TLOU a top 50 game or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

COYVB wrote: »
    I doubt anyone would find many who would agree with everything on a top 50 for a given year

There's a number I agree with on there but not having TLOU somewhere in the top 50 with games like the above there doesn't make sense. Even if you didn't like TLOU rating it outside a top 50 in a year when the majority rated it as one of the best games of its generation stinks of trying to be different for the sake of it.

Just surprised you didn't like it so much really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It wasn't a difference between two tv, or sound set-ups, lag wise, was it? Setting it up properly, the ideal way with the first edition was a pain, for me when I moved mine to different house with another set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Nah it was that it literally went from "a 4 year old could play this" to "Brian May skills required" in the space of finishing a song and trying to start another one. Put me right off

irishmover wrote: »
    There's a number I agree with on there but not having TLOU somewhere in the top 50 with games like the above there doesn't make sense. Even if you didn't like TLOU rating it outside a top 50 in a year when the majority rated it as one of the best games of its generation stinks of trying to be different for the sake of it.

Just surprised you didn't like it so much really.

I saw nothing in it beyond great marketing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Nah it was that it literally went from "a 4 year old could play this" to "Brian May skills required" in the space of finishing a song and trying to start another one. Put me right off

Oh, I get you. I think it's adaptive difficulty in the first one was way off with some songs.

• Advertisement

F*#kin right it was lol

I saw nothing in it beyond great marketing

Fair enough. I guess you'd have the same opinion with Uncharted?

irishmover wrote: »
    Fair enough. I guess you'd have the same opinion with Uncharted?

No actually, Uncharted 2 is my favourite ND title. TLOU is pretty much the only ND game I don't gush about - and I've played Rings of Power

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought Last of Us was fantastic and well worth playing, it came across to me as a decent game trying to be a good film. Not to mention the problems I had with one of the final scenes in the game which gets praised, it was a total failure in terms of game design.

It wouldn't get near the top of my best of 2013 when there's games like Revengeance and Mario 3D World doing pure gameplay so well and others like Papers Please doing Narrative so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

As I've said and you yourself everyone has their own opinion. However the quote below is the main thing I've taken.
    Painfully so, yes. The fun stopped a long time ago.

Do you really not find games "fun" anymore? Do you play them outside of work?

I just find this one hard to believe. I imagine you went into the industry due to your passion for games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Each to there own, for me personally I thought TLOU was one of the best games I ever played. Found myself attached to charachter and didn't want to put controller down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

For a professional reviewer you're not being very descriptive with actual reasons for not liking TLOU :P

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Just to throw in my 2 cents. Now take this with the knowledge that I haven't finished tlou. Its npt a game that would be in my top 20 or even top 50 of all time. My problem with it is the exact same problem I had with uncharted. The story keeps me going but the sheer repetitiveness of the game is mind boggling. It's basically: have story cut scene, move to new area where there are multiple "zombies" to kill/avoid, move to new area where there are a few moments of exploration, rinse and repeat. now dont get me wrong, the game is technically impressive and apart from a few AI flaws naughty dog did a great job. But that repetitiveness.... it really kills it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Bioshock Infinite makes the top 50 but the last of us doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Some people don't like TLOU. Why are people going on like they are offended by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Trust me buddy, I genuinely could not give two tosses what you or anyone on here thinks of my opinion about games. I get paid to play them, write about them, speak to developers about them and go to events about them, you do not.

That doesn't make my opinion better than yours, or anyone elses, that just makes me not give a toss what you or anyone else thinks about my opinion.

Good for you chum.

I doubt many value your opinion if you honestly believe TLoU isn't in the top 50 games of 2013.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Good for you chum.

I doubt many value your opinion if you honestly believe TLoU isn't in the top 50 games of 2013.

And I don't care

Fakman87 wrote: »
    For a professional reviewer you're not being very descriptive with actual reasons for not liking TLOU :P
    I've never been partial to the term reviewer tbh. Not my favorite part of the gig

Benzino wrote: »

Yeah, because BioShock was more enjoyable

tok9 wrote: »
    As I've said and you yourself everyone has their own opinion. However the quote below is the main thing I've taken.

Do you really not find games "fun" anymore? Do you play them outside of work?

I just find this one hard to believe. I imagine you went into the industry due to your passion for games.

I find very few games fun, most are a chore. However I still play some games in my spare time, almost exclusively Nintendo games or racers - which I still enjoy

• Advertisement

You need to play more games :pac:

Benzino wrote: »

Leave Bioshock out of this :P

I loved Infinite.

You need to play more games :pac:

I cannot comprehend the term "more games" at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Leave Bioshock out of this :P

I loved Infinite.

Never! It's such a generic FPS, fails to get the basics right. OK I will stop, I just really dislike that game :-P

Ah at the end of the day, different strokes for different folks! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Can I ask what website or publication you work for? Just out of interest.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Can I ask what website or publication you work for? Just out of interest.

You can ask, but I'll give the same answer I always do: I'm not telling because work is work and personal is personal. Boards is personal, and I'd like to keep a differentiation there. I say stuff here that could get me in trouble sometimes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got to agree with the Bioshock Infinite hate. That game was just poor. Crappy story, crappy combat and it only became fun in the second DLC with a stealth system that was out of place but was actually quite good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

TLOU is definitely in my top 10 games I've ever played. Graphics, script, acting, atmosphere were all fantastic. It was a little short but it's one I'll hang onto and play through again in 12 months.

I didn't see anything about advertising or hype so that didn't influence me, it came in a bundle with the PS4 and that's the first time I'd ever heard of it.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    TLOU is definitely in my top 10 games I've ever played. Graphics, script, acting, atmosphere were all fantastic. It was a little short but it's one I'll hang onto and play through again in 12 months.

I didn't see anything about advertising or hype so that didn't influence me, it came in a bundle with the PS4 and that's the first time I'd ever heard of it.

I actually picked it up for PS3 pretty cheap 6 months after it came out having not known anything about it apart from reading the back cover. The same day I quickly asked on here if it was a horror game and was told no, definitely play it.

Only influence I was given on it until after finishing the game. I had already bought it anyway so would have played it regardless.

The gameplay felt a little old but the immersion and story was just fantastic. I was crying out for a good story driven game and that just hit the spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It's one of my favourite games. I also really enjoy the Uncharted games so it's a style of game that I like. I can also understand people having problems with it. It has so many memorable moments and sections that I definitely want to get back and play through it again soon but some of the parts included in it to shake up the gameplay a bit can be a bit frustrating and break the immersion somewhat and there's been a fair bit of debate about the very last part of the game that you control and the slightly clunky bit of narrative that it entails. Also, I don't have that much time to play every week so maybe I wouldn't have the same fatigue or sense of deja vu when it comes to game experiences like this or frustrations with the limitations of its narrative and issues with controls or its gameplay.

For me and many others it was a great game, for some it was a disappointment - nothing wrong with differing opinions. Trust me, I have a fúcking horrendous taste when it comes to watching horror movies. I'd definitely recommended it but if you're unsure about it see if you can pick it up cheap somewhere. Not much else you can really say about it.

Advertisement