Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is TLOU a top 50 game or not?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The game's puzzles involved shifting more wooden pallets than on bonfire night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I have my issues with The Last of Us - mostly involving its over-reliance on combat sequences (same problem as Uncharted, although less pronounced in TLOU given its setting and themes) and superfluous puzzling - it's still an incredibly valuable and important game in terms of storytelling.

Is it the most original tale? Nope. Does it achieve a perfect harmony between gameplay and story? Not at all. But in terms of writing, direction and performances TLOU still is something of a revelation. It's not a good story in the 'interesting script but haphazard execution' way you see in many titles, or the interesting but excessively wordy type of writing you see in many RPGs or visual novels. It's much more satisfying than that.

The way the characters interact convincingly is unlike anything I've seen in a game to date. While 'cinematic' is often a dirty word when it comes to games, Naughty Dog team use the language of cinema in the right way (the way they use cuts and edits, for example, or close-ups in the cutscenes). The game shines brightest during those moments when you're exploring the landscape with Joel and Ellie, their little organically emerging conversations packed with so much character detail. It's during those moments when I think TLOU transcends being merely an action game with really well made cutscenes, and instead uses the unique properties of interaction in a satisfying way. While there's definitely some tense, credible and absolutely necessary action sections throughout, there's also some that feel like unnecessary filler, and that occasionally let the side down.

If anything, Left Behind was an even better realisation of everything The Last of Us did right. Its lean running time meant it was much more efficient and economic with its storytelling. There were only a handful of - appropriate and necessary - combat moments, and used to create a stark contrast between the quieter moments (the editing back and forth between two interplaying timelines was brilliantly handled). There were several moments that really played up the exploration aspect of the games, with wonderful character moments emerging as the player interacted with a beautifully drawn environment. I'd love if Naughty Dog was brave enough to release something like that as a full release, although I'm not sure that's a realistic dream. Still, one of the most inspired uses of DLC to date.

While there is certainly room for developers - and Naughty Dog - to improve on what TLOU brought to the table, it still stands pretty much alone in terms of a AAA game where technology and storytelling have come together in such a rewarding way. While there's always a rush towards player-driven and influenced narratives, IMO TLOU still serves as an excellent example of why the quality of characterisation and direction in a heavily scripted and 'authored' game has certain significant benefits over more open or 'choice' driven ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The game shines brightest during those moments when you're exploring the landscape with Joel and Ellie, their little organically emerging conversations packed with so much character detail. It's during those moments when I think TLOU transcends being merely an action game with really well made cutscenes, and instead uses the unique properties of interaction in a satisfying way.

The scene with
    the giraffes
    being a real highlight. I still love the way that was handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Top 20 at least for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

While I have my issues with The Last of Us - mostly involving its over-reliance on combat sequences (same problem as Uncharted, although less pronounced in TLOU given its setting and themes) and superfluous puzzling - it's still an incredibly valuable and important game in terms of storytelling.

Is it the most original tale? Nope. Does it achieve a perfect harmony between gameplay and story? Not at all. But in terms of writing, direction and performances TLOU still is something of a revelation. It's not a good story in the 'interesting script but haphazard execution' way you see in many titles, or the interesting but excessively wordy type of writing you see in many RPGs or visual novels. It's much more satisfying than that.

The way the characters interact convincingly is unlike anything I've seen in a game to date. While 'cinematic' is often a dirty word when it comes to games, Naughty Dog team use the language of cinema in the right way (the way they use cuts and edits, for example, or close-ups in the cutscenes). The game shines brightest during those moments when you're exploring the landscape with Joel and Ellie, their little organically emerging conversations packed with so much character detail. It's during those moments when I think TLOU transcends being merely an action game with really well made cutscenes, and instead uses the unique properties of interaction in a satisfying way. While there's definitely some tense, credible and absolutely necessary action sections throughout, there's also some that feel like unnecessary filler, and that occasionally let the side down.

If anything, Left Behind was an even better realisation of everything The Last of Us did right. Its lean running time meant it was much more efficient and economic with its storytelling. There were only a handful of - appropriate and necessary - combat moments, and used to create a stark contrast between the quieter moments (the editing back and forth between two interplaying timelines was brilliantly handled). There were several moments that really played up the exploration aspect of the games, with wonderful character moments emerging as the player interacted with a beautifully drawn environment. I'd love if Naughty Dog was brave enough to release something like that as a full release, although I'm not sure that's a realistic dream. Still, one of the most inspired uses of DLC to date.

While there is certainly room for developers - and Naughty Dog - to improve on what TLOU brought to the table, it still stands pretty much alone in terms of a AAA game where technology and storytelling have come together in such a rewarding way. While there's always a rush towards player-driven and influenced narratives, IMO TLOU still serves as an excellent example of why the quality of characterisation and direction in a heavily scripted and 'authored' game has certain significant benefits over more open or 'choice' driven ones.

Nicely said, if you wrote reviews, I'd happily subscribe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Benzino wrote: »
    In that case I assume Bioshock Infinite is ahead of it, so I don't need to see the list :-P

Glad to see I'm not the only other one to think that was f**king pants and over hyped.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to starting TLOU this week after finally hitting the wall with Destiny and being a few weeks short of the new Borderlands collection and any new Telltale games episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Top 10 for me. Not decided on the order.

I bought it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

My favourite games, at the times I played them and in no particular order are;

Summoner ,
    Fable,
    Medal of Honor,
    Uncharted (any of them really)
    Oblivion,
    Skyrim,
    Fallout New Vegas.
    GTA San Andreas,
    GTA V,
    The Last of Us Remastered

• Registered Users Posts: 26,405 ✭✭✭✭noodler

In that case I assume Bioshock Infinite is ahead of it, so I don't need to see the list :-P

Infinite was amazing.

Much for the same reason TLOU was, i.e. story, setting and characters.

I didn't think too much was wowing me in the gameplay in either.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Got to agree with the Bioshock Infinite hate. That game was just poor. Crappy story, crappy combat and it only became fun in the second DLC with a stealth system that was out of place but was actually quite good fun.

The gameplay was average.

The story, setting and characters were superb.

I will HIT YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

COYVB wrote: »
    oooh, a challenge! Taking the my top 20 for 2013 and expanding upon it...

50. F1 2013
    49. Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
    48. Metro: Last Light
    47. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist
    46. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
    45. BattleBlock Theater
    44. Doki-Doki Universe
    43. Injustice: Gods Among Us
    42. DmC: Devil May Cry
    41. Peggle 2
    40. XCOM: Enemy Within
    39. Rocksmith 2014 Edition
    38. Lego City Undercover
    37. Bit.Trip Runner2
    36. Cloudberry Kingdom
    35. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix
    34. FIFA 14
    33. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
    32. Dead Rising 3
    31. NBA 2K14
    30. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    29. The Stanley Parable
    28. Waveform
    27. Rogue Legacy
    26. Fez
    25. New Super Luigi U
    24. Gran Turismo 6
    23. Thomas Was Alone
    22. Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
    21. Hotline Miami
    20. A Tale of Two Sons
    19. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
    18. Pikmin 3
    17. Tearaway
    16. BioShock Infinite
    15. Fire Emblem: Awakening
    14. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    13. Warframe
    12. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
    11. Flower
    10. Saints Row IV
    09. Tomb Raider
    08. Resogun
    07. Papers Please
    06. Forza Motorsport 5
    05. Super Mario 3D World
    04. Grand Theft Auto V
    03. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
    02. Rayman Legends
    01. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

*Caveat: 2013 was a while ago, and not a massive amount of thought has gone into that list

Whatever about the rest of them, putting the likes of Blood Dragon, Bioshock Infinite, Hotline Miami, Resogun and Saints Row IV above TLOU is madness in my eyes.

Taste is a funny thing I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also what the hell is Ni No Kuni doing on any best over list let alone 2013. It's one of the worst RPGs of the last decade and no amount of nice graphics will change that. FFS Atelier Rorona and Shin Megami Tensei IV were released the same year...
    noodler wrote: »

I will HIT YOU!

The setting was exceptional, the story on the other hand was crappy and then it got worse in the DLC with the heavy handed retconning of the stupider parts. I did get what the story was getting at as well, I just found it profoundly stupid and handled in such a cack handed way.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The setting was exceptional, the story on the other hand was crappy and then it got worse in the DLC with the heavy handed retconning of the stupider parts. I did get what the story was getting at as well, I just found it profoundly stupid and handled in such a cack handed way.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

It was incredibly well done.

Haven't played the DLC.

Infinite was amazing.

Much for the same reason TLOU was, i.e. story, setting and characters.

I didn't think too much was wowing me in the gameplay in either.

I will HIT YOU!

The gameplay was poor, the basic shooting mechanics were awful imo, felt like you were firing peashooters.

The gameplay was poor, the basic shooting mechanics were awful imo, felt like you were firing peashooters.

Not going to give you that - thats just the Bioshock style.

My problem is that it was arguably worse (or at least did not progress whatsoever) from the first game.

Had to play on hard to even need to use more than two vigours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Amazing post by johnny_ultimate there.

I think there's a difference between not liking a game and not recognising that it is a good game. I hate with a passion the Lord of the Rings films but can appreciate that what they do well they do very well and can see why some people like them. TLOU was one of the top 50 games of 2013. There should be no elements of subjectivity involved in making a statement like that. Natught Dog set out to achieve something and they did achieve it.

For me, it is one of my top ten games ever (did a list recently and had it fifth) for the reasons that johnny_ultimate summarised. I love games which make me rethinking what gaming is capable of. The Last of Us does that and I think it is a very special game accordingly.

That said I just bought it again for PS4 and am playing it through for a fifth time. Not sure I should have bothered as whilst I've not run it side by side with the PS3 version I'm not noticing much in the way of difference. The original game pushed that old system to its absolute limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Resident evil + Mgs is all it reminded me of . .

Said as if that is a bad thing....

Not going to give you that - thats just the Bioshock style.

Style? That sounds like an excuse imo. It's only one of a number of issues I have with the game, the boring and predictable AI, the slow sluggish movement, balance issues with weapons and vigors. But most importantly, the gunplay/shooting mechanics do not feel right, it never seems like you are wielding a weapon that can do serious damage (perhaps the AI plays a part in the perception).

Even some of the design choices were wrong, like been able to upgrade weapons with parts. Sounds good right? But when you limit players to only 2 weapons at a time, and then limit the amount of parts available, what ends up happening is that you are much more likely to stick to the same 2-4 guns which you have invested in upgrades. Same with vigors really, in fact didn't they introduce a new vigor in the last 30-60 minutes of the game? I'm sure that got a lot of use.

IMO, it's all well and good have a great story but if the gameplay struggles to even get the basics right, it can't be considered a great game.

Anyway, rant over, back on topic. TLOU is great :)

Advertisement