Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

USA Import

Options
  • 01-03-2015 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Anyone on here imported a classic from the States recently ? . I need some help please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

mountai wrote: »
    Anyone on here imported a classic from the States recently ? . I need some help please.

Well to answer my own question . --- Having gone through the ins and outs . Anyone considering the above , would be well advised to go the UK rout. Shipping alone is 80% more expensive to drop in Dublin Port than UK Ports . "Import Duties" are Nil , providing the car is over 30 years old and has not been modified from original spec. Now here is the "Rub" . VAT is calculated on the "Invoice Sale Price" of the car plus shipping plus insurance plus Port charges. The Revenue , however , reserve the right to put their "Own Valuation on the vehicle should they desire to do so". And another thing --- It is a legal requirement that the vehicle is registered within 30 days . The NCT people , will refuse to register the car ,if the engine does not run. Revenue will penalise me if I don't register it within this timeframe . As this particular car has not been on the Road , for at least 20 years , it is a long term project , that I intend to refurbish and get back on the road eventually . Anyone come up against this before??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I'd be giving it a complete miss considering the lousy exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭RR3.5

You will not need to start the engine for the vrt , they check chassis nos etc only

To register a vehicle within Ireland it must be in a drivable condition. You have 7 days from the date of entry into the state to secure an appointment for the vehicle and it must have completed the registration process within 30 days of entry into the state. Where a vehicle is registered outside of 30 days from entry into the state the Revenue Commissioners will apply penalties for each day the vehicle is late being registered

This is what NCT state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

So you would trailer the vehicle to the NCT centre where they would give you a receipt stating the car is not driveable and therefore cannot be registered at that time.
    Then in five tears time or however long it takes to restore it you take the vehicle back to the NCT to register it, producing the receipt to absolve you from any backdated penalties.
    I presume that's how it works.

• Advertisement

I trailed a car to nct in December, they checked chassis , engine numbers, colour, number of seats and windows . They did not ask to start the engine even though it was able to start. If all papers are in order you should not have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

hi5 wrote: »
    So you would trailer the vehicle to the NCT centre where they would give you a receipt stating the car is not driveable and therefore cannot be registered at that time.
    Then in five tears time or however long it takes to restore it you take the vehicle back to the NCT to register it, producing the receipt to absolve you from any backdated penalties.
    I presume that's how it works.

Once you bring it to be inspected it will be libel for Vrt from that date incurring a penalty of 0.02% per day.
    There is a Vrt calculator on the revenue site.
    If you plan on restoring it fir the next few tears I wouldn't present it for Vrt untill finished(personally)but the down side to this is the car could shoot up in value over a period or the usual revenue crucifing it

Once it has a chassis no and a couple of bits they don't care if it drives or not and will not check,iv seen loads of vehicles arrive on trailers for inspection

Once it has a chassis no and a couple of bits they don't care if it drives or not and will not check,iv seen loads of vehicles arrive on trailers for inspection

In the centre near me , the inspector insists that the engine is started. This happened to a friend of mine recently.

I presume that's how it works

I would never presume anything when you deal with the "System" Common sense is not a virtue that is installed in these people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If you plan on restoring it fir the next few tears I wouldn't present it for Vrt untill finished(personally)but the down side to this is the car could shoot up in value over a period or the usual revenue crucifing it
    As a matter of interest why wait until it's restored? Would you not be better producing a 'wreck' now and potentially minimising your VRT?

Dades wrote: »
    As a matter of interest why wait until it's restored? Would you not be better producing a 'wreck' now and potentially minimising your VRT?

Of course , that's just my point. As the car is 1950s the present rate would apply. What if our Political Masters , in their wisdom , decide to double or even treble it in the future?. The fact that its not roadworthy , should not matter insofar as registering it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

So if the engine isn't seized, and can be made to run, no matter how badly, everything should be ok?

You can bring the car to any vrt centre that suits you, they are the only people who can answer your question . In my case it cost me €200 because import duty had been paid

"To register a vehicle within Ireland it must be in a drivable condition. You have 7 days from the date of entry into the state to secure an appointment for the vehicle and it must have completed the registration process within 30 days of entry into the state. Where a vehicle is registered outside of 30 days from entry into the state the Revenue Commissioners will apply penalties for each day the vehicle is late being registered"
    From NCT
    My response

Thank you Alexis for your response . I have an issue with your "Rules" . Can you please point out to me the EXACT clause in the legislation , which states that a vehicle must be in a "Drivable condition" before it is allowed to be registered. As the vehicle in question is a Project Car , and has not been used on the road for a number of years. One would have assumed , that as long as the paperwork is in order, Chassis and Engine numbers match the Registration Documents , registration should not be a problem. As things stand , you people are denying the State revenue from this process . I , on the other hand , am eager to comply with the "Law" , but find myself in a dichotomy , as I would be liable to be fined , having shown willingness to act as a responsible citizen. BTW this car is NOT subject to ANY form of road test , as its age (Early 50s) exempt it from same . I await your response

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

A little more aggressive an approach than I'd have taken - but will be interesting to see what response you get!

(BTW, I can barely read that blue text - many of us are using the dark Boards skin.)

Advertisement