Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

external led lights - motion sensor + wall switch

Options
  • 01-03-2015 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

we are just before the electrical first fix stage in our house renovation.

in our plans we have some external led downlights around the front door.

these are to be connected to a motion sensor.

are there particular motion sensors which are good and appropriate for led lights?

also, would it be possible to also control these with a light switch from inside?

(as far as i remember, some external floodlights can be switched on by switching them on and off quickly.)

thanks for your help,

slip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What I did, which may not pass muster regs wise, is I ran an additional switched positive from the same breaker on the board to the output side of the motion sensor, through a dusk to dawn sensor.
    Each external lighting circuit is on its own breaker.
    So breaker off, nothing.
    Breaker on, and additional switched live off, motion sensor Decides.
    Additional switched live on, dusk to dawn senor decides.

It works well, when I am away, the OH uses the dusk to dawn option

Hope this helps but get it checked out by ur sparks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What I did, which may not pass muster regs wise, is I ran an additional switched positive from the same breaker on the board to the output side of the motion sensor, through a dusk to dawn sensor.
    Each external lighting circuit is on its own breaker.
    So breaker off, nothing.

I do not see anything in this description that is against the regulations.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

slipstream wrote: »
    are there particular motion sensors which are good and appropriate for led lights?

I am not aware of any that are specifically made for LED lights. In general LED lights are less of an issue for sensors because the load is so small compared to halogen lamps. It would be best to select a high quality PIR such as Stinel.
    also, would it be possible to also control these with a light switch from inside?

Yes, this can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭slipstream

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, this can be done.

thanks; thats great news, and i will try to use steinel sensors.

are there any soffit mounted led downlights which you guys would recommend?

slip

thanks; thats great news, and i will try to use steinel sensors.

are there any soffit mounted led downlights which you guys would recommend?

slip

I should just point out that you need to get the wiring installed to suit this at first fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭slipstream

2011 wrote: »
    I should just point out that you need to get the wiring installed to suit this at first fix.

we have wiring for a motion sensor, two soffit lights, a porch light and an internal light switch in our spec and i will be meeting the electrician this week to go over the details. hopefully he will agree to install the wire for the light switch.

one further requirement is that we cannot afford downlights all along our soffits at this point but we plan on adding these later.

would it be possible or advisable to pre-wire the soffit at this point?

thanks again,

slip

we have wiring for a motion sensor, two soffit lights, a porch light and an internal light switch in our spec and i will be meeting the electrician this week to go over the details. hopefully he will agree to install the wire for the light switch.

one further requirement is that we cannot afford downlights all along our soffits at this point but we plan on adding these later.

would it be possible or advisable to pre-wire the soffit at this point?

thanks again,

slip

Yes it would be possible to prewire.

However if your electrician only wires to the first few and you have access to the soffit through the attic the wiring may be installed at a later stage. Just tell the electrician your plan to ensure that the circuits have the required capacity.

Advertisement