Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC French Document?

Options
  • 01-03-2015 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I know this is optional for the French oral, but our teacher strongly insists. However, I don't have any strong inclinations for any photograph or whatever else you could talk about. I've plenty of interests, don't get me wrong, but at this stage in the year, I'll hardly do well if I start learning off vocab on art history and feminism. So I have "The Book Thief" in French, but I've only read it in English, and have no time to read that in French. Could I talk about it, based on my reading of it in English, say if I just find quotes from it in French and learn off to talk of what it is about? Does it matter that it isn't a book originated in France?
    Any other general tips about the document? Really need help with this. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

You could watch a film once or twice and then wrote a few paragraphs on it , get them corrected a couple of times and then learn them off

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kris_ivano

UPDATE: I'm thinking of a topical article in French. Something to do with human/women's/gay rights or current things with terrorism. It's kind of getting late for new vocab of such vastness, but I care about the topic enough to try.
    But anyone have any tips on where to begin with this kind of vocab?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Blogs by French LGBT people would have the vocabulary and topics you want.
    http://uk.cision.com/Resources/Social-Media-Index/Top-French-Social-Media/Top-10-French-LGBT-Blogs/

Thank you, wouldn't come up with better source for vocab than this. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

I hate hate hate having to say this but I would think hard about doing anything on gay rights. You have no idea how conservative your examiner could be and while the orals are recorded, I would be reluctant to allow my students do anything which could be perceived as overly controversial to a conservative mind. It hasn't actually been suggested by any of my students so I haven't really thought too much about it but I would err on the side of caution I think. The document is a brilliant idea. You would want to be fairly strong to do anything topical like terrorism or politics but they are interesting themes and tie in nicely with potential written topics so you could be killing two birds with one stone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

vamos! wrote: »
    I hate hate hate having to say this but I would think hard about doing anything on gay rights. You have no idea how conservative your examiner could be and while the orals are recorded, I would be reluctant to allow my students do anything which could be perceived as overly controversial to a conservative mind. It hasn't actually been suggested by any of my students so I haven't really thought too much about it but I would err on the side of caution I think. The document is a brilliant idea. You would want to be fairly strong to do anything topical like terrorism or politics but they are interesting themes and tie in nicely with potential written topics so you could be killing two birds with one stone.

As an examiner, I would say do gay rights if you like. It's very topical.

Thank you for the feedback. I have brought my document in to practice with my teacher and though she called me a 'mad woman' (in a positive tone) for doing this, she gave me plenty of possible directions where this topic could lead and I think I'm settling for it. Also, when the examiner's personal opinion is concerned, I asked her if there's a possibility they would refuse to let me talk about this document, she said no. Plus, I agree, it's very topical.

Advertisement