Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cheaper GoPro alternitives?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Has anyone got a link to a genuine sj4000 battery?
    My fakes are terrible and would like to try a proper one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

http://www.dx.com/s/sj4000+battery

prices in $ don't forget about 90cents buys a dollar

I also just prdered another SJ but not the wifi version this time as I tend to just plug into pc and download

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

I have been looking at the sjcam sj4000 for quite a while now, just other expenses have come up so i haven't got around to buying one yet. I found the video reviews on Techmoan to be very informative and he also compares it to the gopro to give you an idea of recording quality.
    http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/2/3/the-sj4000-action-camera-review.html

I would be careful ordering from DX as i recall reading reviews where some people had bought the fake ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

rollei racy action cam....really impressed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

After all the bad comments here and other forums re the battery life of the SJ4000 I didn't bother going for it and choose a Brooks B17 saddle for my bicycle instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 funnysunny

I think xiaomi yi camera would have to be cheaper and better than the SJ4000 after searching some reviews. Also find the best price of yi camera on Geekbuying, €71.19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭DJDylan106

funnysunny wrote: »
    I think xiaomi yi camera would have to be cheaper and better than the SJ4000 after searching some reviews. Also find the best price of yi camera on Geekbuying, €71.19.

Have seen the reviews of the Xiaomi Yi before. €71.19 for the camera but thats just for the camera and a battery, no extras included, batteries etc. are a tad more expensive than the SJ4000 bits are as far as I can see.
    Also there are a lot of fiddly bits and inconveniences such as not really knowing what mode you're recording in, the two built in LED's are hard to see and are the only indication as to what mode you're in, whether you're recording or not, etc. etc. SJ4000 has a screen with a bright enough blue LED beside the screen to say you're recording and a very bright LED on the top that does the same. The screen on the back of the SJ also allows you to change settings without having to hook it up to a computer or android device.

Video quality definitely seems to be a fraction better on the xiaomi yi but not an overwhelming difference if you ask me. And with the SJ4000 coing standard with a waterproof case ( which is not yet available for the xiaomi yi ) and all the bits you could need to get started ( apart from an SD card ) for a total price of €3 less than the xiaomi @ €68 all in for the SJ4000, I would be more inclined to go for the SJ than the Xiaomi.But that's just me :D:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Techmoan uploaded an updated review on the Yi this week. New firmware has improved battery life and performance. Doubt you'll get better than the Yi for similar money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

I use a Ion air pro 3. Picked it up in the states for just 170 bucks. Desperately unpopular and cheap to buy as the interface and set up with your pc and the wifi set up is tricky. Once the set up is mastered it's a fine camera with excellent quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭honda boi

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-14-may/products-detail-page/ps/p/action-camcorder/
    May be a good camera,with 3 year guarantee.
    Only thing is would you be able to source extra mounts and batteries!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

honda boi wrote: »
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-14-may/products-detail-page/ps/p/action-camcorder/

It looks a bit like a gopro mount, lots of cameras I'd say just quietly make their cameras work with gorpo mounts without saying so they don't get a nasty letter for mentioning the brand.

I'm torn on Aldi stuff, it's usually either top notch or rubbishy, rarely in the middle. Bear in mind that 720p at 30fps is at the very, very bottom of what could be called 'HD', I wouldn't rely on being able to read reg plates afterwards for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

honda boi wrote: »

Got one this evening, worth a shot for that money. hopefully get it out this weekend f9r a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

aaakev wrote: »
    Got one this evening, worth a shot for that money. hopefully get it out this weekend f9r a try

Pop up the results of your test. I just got one of them myself, but won't get chance to try it out for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

any sample video ive seen of the sj4000 looks really washed out and grainey

Chippy01 wrote: »
    Pop up the results of your test. I just got one of them myself, but won't get chance to try it out for a while.

If I get a video I'll post it, if the quality is bad I'll be taking advantage of the returns policy!

Ok I purchased an SJ4000 from China today (so it'll be here in about four years I guess).. Got it and two spare batteries for €50 with free delivery.

Here's hoping its not money wasted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Ok I purchased an SJ4000 from China today (so it'll be here in about four years I guess).. Got it and two spare batteries for €50 with free delivery.

Seems to get good reviews Mak...

Did you purchase on AliExpress?

Any link Mak?
    Seems a bit too cheap.

Mesrine65 wrote: »

Wifi and all!
    I could be wrong but I doubt a genuine can be got for that price.
    All is not lost though!
    I have a fake and a genuine one and there's very little in the difference the two.
    Battery life in the fake is pretty bad though.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Any link Mak?
    Seems a bit too cheap.

I got it on ebay, tbh for that price I know I'm getting a complete fake but I thought its worth the punt on it.

I'll put it to some kind of use no doubt.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Busted for import duty plus AnPost handling charge...€21 extra

I got it on ebay, tbh for that price I know I'm getting a complete fake but I thought its worth the punt on it.

I'll put it to some kind of use no doubt.

It's worth the money either way.
    My fake one is over a year old and still working away no problem.
    I also have a go pro hero(entry level one) and the fake sj has better quality nighttime recording.

Busted for import duty plus AnPost handling charge...€21 extra

There's always a kill joy lurking.

Well the aldi camera really let me down, so bad im just going to return it and forget i ever bought it!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 chiplad

aaakev wrote:
    Well the aldi camera really let me down, so bad im just going to return it and forget i ever bought it!

Aw, I just remembered this thread and popped down and bought one before they closed! Why so bad?

chiplad wrote: »
    Aw, I just remembered this thread and popped down and bought one before they closed! Why so bad?

Went out for 2 hours dirt biking and couldn't see a thing. The colour was very strange, my mud guard is red but it showed up grey in the video with a red kind of hologram of the mud guard off to the right, Half the green grass was blue too and the sound was shocking! I thought it would be a good day to test it being nice and bright but no such luck. I was using a decent 32gb micro sad card too not the 4gb that comes with.

Someone said earlier the aldi stuff is either great quality or ****e, I'm afraid my experience of this is ****e! I was looking forward to using it but can't wait to get my 40 quid back now

• Registered Users Posts: 43 chiplad

Mounted it today and went for a short spin to test it - have to say I'm impressed! For 40 quid I think it's a super bit of kit! Bit shaky on rough roads but ill fiddle with the mounting to get it right. Even the sound was quite good through the waterproof casing.

chiplad wrote: »
    Mounted it today and went for a short spin to test it - have to say I'm impressed! For 40 quid I think it's a super bit of kit! Bit shaky on rough roads but ill fiddle with the mounting to get it right. Even the sound was quite good through the waterproof casing.

maybe I got a bad one so? Luck of the draw it seems.

Throw up a clip there so we can see if Ya have one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement