Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cheaper GoPro alternitives?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

@ aaakev and chiplad

Seeing as you guys had the Aldi cam, (one good, one bad, or so it seems), I managed to get the Aldi cam mounted on my Valk and tested this afternoon.
    It's on the handlebars, near to the clutch reservoir, but also sits behind the bikes' screen.
    Went out on a short spin to the local chipper (about 15 mins each way). On the way, I ran through a short shower of rain which lasted no more than two minutes. It stopped long before I got to the chipper.
    Turned off the cam and went to get my lunch. 10 mins in the shop, back on with the cam and I was away again.
    When I got home, however, the mounting box that holds the camera looked like it was misted up. And sure enough, when playing back the recorded footage, on the last 2 files it looked like I was heading into a real pea-souper (on a bright May afternoon)

Did either of yourselves get fogging issues? And if so, how did you stop it?

Other than that, for a mere €40, it is what it is.
    Because of it's high position, I knew I would experience some shaking on the footage, but overall the quality was better than I expected.

I'll see if I can get it mounted lower to minimise the shaking, but that may not be possible because of the shape of the camera.

Or maybe I'll save my pennies and just invest in one of these http://www.bikercam.com/ or maybe one of these http://www.innovv.com/#!the-c3/c18kr (Techmoan does a nice review of it). At least these can be hardwired and work like a car dash-cam, with no worries about battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Fogging aint good ..

What did you get in the chipper though??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Mine fogged too at first, just took it out and wiped it all down and it was fine after that as far as fogging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

GBX wrote: »
    Fogging aint good ..

What did you get in the chipper though??

Went in for a kebab, but forgot it was 'buy one get one free'.
    Two kebabs take some eating .... :eek:

aaakev wrote: »
    Mine fogged too at first, just took it out and wiped it all down and it was fine after that as far as fogging

I'll give it a clean out and try again. Thanks. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Right well my camera arrived in this mornings post, but I'm just finished a 24hr shift and have been suffering a bout of severe gastroenteritis since Friday so it'll be awhile before I'm uploading anything.

But watch out for another caped crusader with a GoPro helmet cam pointing out the worlds bad drivers, cyclists & pedestrians (ffs, God forbid I turn into one of those idiots).

I'll try it out over the next few days :)

• Advertisement

***Just opened the box, I'm not expecting much from it tbh lol!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

***Just opened the box, I'm not expecting much from it tbh lol!!

Whatever you do don't drop it without the case, I dropped mine he other day and one of the buttons on the side is now not working, something came loose i think. It still works though, just cant use the down button.

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't drop it without the case, I dropped mine he other day and one of the buttons on the side is now not working, something came loose i think. It still works though, just cant use the down button.

I'll remember that, thanks.

Re. the M3 sticky stuff, where do I buy more of it?.. I was thinking of putting the camera on the petrol tank to record the clocks, I think its more interesting that a view of clear road.

I'm thinking the drag on a helmet mounted camera would become a pain in the hole after awhile.

I'll remember that, thanks.

Re. the M3 sticky stuff, where do I buy more of it?.. I was thinking of putting the camera on the petrol tank to record the clocks, I think its more interesting that a view of clear road.

I'm thinking the drag on a helmet mounted camera would become a pain in the hole after awhile.

I prefer the chest harness, you can adjust where the camera sits so you see more of the road or dash. If you want to borrow mine to try it out your'e welcome to it.

I prefer the chest harness, you can adjust where the camera sits so you see more of the road or dash. If you want to borrow mine to try it out your'e welcome to it.

Oh I never thought of that!.. Thanks for the offer but I got one with this (if it fits me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Right well my camera arrived in this mornings post, but I'm just finished a 24hr shift and have been suffering a bout of severe gastroenteritis since Friday so it'll be awhile before I'm uploading anything.

But watch out for another caped crusader with a GoPro helmet cam pointing out the worlds bad drivers, cyclists & pedestrians (ffs, God forbid I turn into one of those idiots).

I'll try it out over the next few days :)

Which Model Go Pro did you get ? Make sure the Card you get is good. and i mean real good. Ive had nothing but trouble with supposedly recommend Class 10 SD cards.

listermint wrote: »
    Which Model Go Pro did you get ? Make sure the Card you get is good. and i mean real good. Ive had nothing but trouble with supposedly recommend Class 10 SD cards.

Ok here's where I show my age, how do I know if I've got a good one or not?

Ok here's where I show my age, how do I know if I've got a good one or not?

Ok i have a Go Pro Hero 3+ Black Edition.

Last year when i bought it they had a list of recommended SD cards on their website. So bought one. Then they went and changed their recommend list for my model late in the year. My SD cards (which were expensive) were suddenly not good enough. Which explains now why i had issues with freezing etc.

Anyway long story short. I had to get a Class 10 Card with minimum read write of about 45Mb Per Second.

This seemingly is good enough for 1080P images.

The card i have is a samsung one it is capable of 80-90Mbs read write so i should have no issues. Its done well so far since i bought it about 3 weeks back.

Checked the chest harness, its not worth a toss.. This is a Chinese copy btw, on inspection I'd be really surprised if anything works to a decent standard.

If at the end of the day its sh*t I'll give it to my son to play around with as its not costing me a whole lot of cash.

Ok I'm returning it.. Lesson learned, don't buy Chinese sh*t.

The mounts fit to nothing, not even the handlebars of my bicycle and what they try to pass off as a chest harness is a f8cking joking.

Ok I'm returning it.. Lesson learned, don't buy Chinese sh*t.

The mounts fit to nothing, not even the handlebars of my bicycle and what they try to pass off as a chest harness is a f8cking joking.

Sounds like you got a clone, mine didn't come with a chest harness, bought it separately but all the other mounts etc. were fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Sounds like you got a clone, mine didn't come with a chest harness, bought it separately but all the other mounts etc. were fine.

Same. No issues with mine but didn't get a chest harness either. I use it daily and currently have it fitted to the mirror stalk using the handlebar mount.

Did you buy from aliexpress?

zubair wrote: »
    Same. No issues with mine but didn't get a chest harness either. I use it daily and currently have it fitted to the mirror stalk using the handlebar mount.

Did you buy from aliexpress?

No got it off ebay at an auction, was around 50% cheaper than buy it now. Chest harness was a fiver from china:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

No got it off ebay at an auction, was around 50% cheaper than buy it now. Chest harness was a fiver from china:o

Sorry, I just meant the chest harness. Do you have a link to the seller?

zubair wrote: »
    Sorry, I just meant the chest harness. Do you have a link to the seller?

The guy I got it off of is no longer on ebay as far as I can see, but below one looks similar, not sure about the seller's reputation etc. you will have to do some research before buying...

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Adjustable-Elastic-Chest-Belt-Strap-Mount-Harness-for-GoPro-HD-Hero-2-3-Camera-/221745253946?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33a10c0e3a

• Advertisement

Ok I stuck the cam to my helmet tonight but it was adjusted totally arseways and by the time I got home it was too late to re-adjust it and head out again.

Baring in mind this was recorded this evening, and all you see it the road here's some of the quality (not worth putting up, but I'll do one in the morning).

For some reason its not embedding so here's the link;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td6WDm0UEec&feature=youtu.be

Ok I stuck the cam to my helmet tonight but it was adjusted totally arseways and by the time I got home it was too late to re-adjust it and head out again.

Baring in mind this was recorded this evening, and all you see it the road here's some of the quality (not worth putting up, but I'll do one in the morning).

For some reason its not embedding so here's the link;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td6WDm0UEec&feature=youtu.be

Wouldnt have that problem if it was on the front :P

Ok bit of a weird one here. I put it on the tank, grand picture and view and went for a ride. But the camera seems to have recorded in segments, sometimes as short as 15 seconds and others for two minutes. This despite the fact I never went near the camera after initially restarting it.

Idea's?.

Ok bit of a weird one here. I put it on the tank, grand picture and view and went for a ride. But the camera seems to have recorded in segments, sometimes as short as 15 seconds and others for two minutes. This despite the fact I never went near the camera after initially restarting it.

Idea's?.

That's more than likely the card, i have a class 10 sd card in it and don't get any issues. There are a lot of fake cards on ebay.

Try formatting the card and going again.

I just priced the SD card, feck that!.

Here's a copy of the only useful bit of crap I got from the ride.

So far I'm less than impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ0c8JzdeiE&feature=youtu.be (its not embedding for some reason)

The ride was on an unfinished road so excuse the bumps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

By any chance do you have motion detection turned on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Biggest card you should use is 32gb anything bigger and the file format is different and can cause huge problems. I had two €150 scandisk extreme 64gb card for Germany and they broke my heart. Even go pro say use 32 and smaller.

One more thing which is vital, format the card on a PC first not a quick format but a full format. Might take 30 mins but it totally wipes it unlike quick and using the camera to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ive gotten cards recently (next day delivery) from www.MemoryC.ie .. they are in Kildare. Competitive pricing as well.

Advertisement