Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

minding your skis..

• 01-03-2015 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Any tips for ski storage over the summer?

Anything need to be done to them or are they ok as they are? Everything gets stored in the hot press here, that a bad idea?

Had a trip lined up for next week but had to let it go so skis have to go away for a few months (unless this snow keeps up)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Thick coat of wax, and don't scrape them. The wax seals the bases so they don't dry out. Just get an old/cheap iron (no need to get a fancy ski-wax iron) and melt the wax on in drops all over. Iron temp shouldn't be too hot. If you're getting smoke, it's burning the wax and is too hot. Then start to smooth the drops out over the bases until you have an even(ish) coat. Use the shininess of melted wax to tell where's covered. If there's not enough, drip some more wax on. Keep the iron moving when smoothing the wax and you'll be fine. The topsheets will get warm, but if the feel 'hot' then stop before you do any damage. Easy once you know how - scraping is the worst part, but you'll come back next year to learn about that!
    VERY IMPORTANT: Mark the iron in some way so that it can never be confused for a clothes iron, or else your housemates/wife/whoever will not be happy next time they do some ironing, aprticularly if they're getting ready to wear their favourite shirt out. :pac:

I wouldn't be overly keen on the hot-press. It probably wouldn't do any harm, but I'd prefer an attic or garage where the air won't be as warm and dry. The glues they use can deal with a huge temperature swing, but (and I have no scientific or technical basis for this) I just wouldn't be comfortable with them in a hot press.

General waxing tip:
    Lots of folk are overly fussy about their wax, but unless you're a racer or you're going to a resort with a lot of flat (Sunshine village in Banff, if anyone's been!) you won't notice a difference really. Technique will get you a better glide than having the correct temp wax. I usually use all-temp. My rule of thumb is if you can start to see the discolouration on your base, it's time to wax. They generally start to look lighter coloured near the edges, because that's the place that gets most wear. If you can see 'hairs' in the base material, then definitely throw a good thick coat on and let it sit for as long as possible before scraping to let the oils soak in. I'm a boarder and almost always glide better/further than skiers or others in my group,even those who shared a waxing session with me the night before, purely due to technique.

Advertisement