Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog obedience training

• 01-03-2015 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

I need to get my 2 year old boxer trained on everything...:eek: Love him to bits, but impossible to walk on the lead, I have a really bad shoulder, I can only bring him for walks where it is possible to let him off the lead. He is very mean where food is concerned, he face has been in many plates on the table, pushes the kids to try and get any food they may have.
    There is no badness in him, just needs a bit of training. We got him and he was nearly a year old and had been in 2 / 3 homes already, he never got the basics. Previous dogs we have owned we had from Puppies so training was easy enough, but I now need to learn to train him and try and get some manors on him.

can anyone advise approx costs and a good trainer in the Mullingar area, I would even consider a short trip to get someone good if needs be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I got our dog about 6 months ago.
    We are his at least third home, if not more. He came out of the pound into the home before us. As a lab, he was unfillable and had terrible manners around food, feeding him and pulled on the lead a lot.

Feeding: I make him sit and wait before I feed him. I spent a few evenings at the start where he got most of his dinner from my hand but only after he had sat multiple multiple times until his sit is rock solid.

For the pulling - I tend to do the tree thing. ie when he pulls I stop and stand completely still until he comes back and then off we go again. It takes time and patiece and for you to be more stubborn than your dog but it works I've found.

I've used some youtube videos for advice - and what I've read here about consistency and rewarding.

He can still be a brat, but he's getting there!

I suppose my point is that it is possible to train him yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

can anyone advise approx costs and a good trainer in the Mullingar area, I would even consider a short trip to get someone good if needs be.

There is a trainer (Jenny Hickey, K9 services) in Raharney, Co. Westmeath (about 10km outside Mullingar, on the road to Dublin).

http://www.goldenpages.ie/k9-dog-training-services-killucan/

I have never used this trainer but she has been recommended before by other people on this forum.

Advertisement