Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Is revive working again - good news if it is.

About the above post on Eve, that's coming to Vive pretty soon from what I've heard. I expect Cronos will follow shortly after.

Did you try those games? I heard Eve Valkyrie got slated which is a shame since that was the first exclusive VR game that most of us got excited about. I think Elite Dangerous and in particular ED Arena stole it's thunder though. I wasn't interested in Lucky's Tale until I tried a similar Adventure Time game in SteamVR, it's €5 and a bit short but good fun especially if you like the cartoon and want to see how a 3D platformer works in VR. I know nothing about Cronos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Did you try those games? I heard Eve Valkyrie got slated which is a shame since that was the first exclusive VR game that most of us got excited about. I think Elite Dangerous and in particular ED Arena stole it's thunder though. I wasn't interested in Lucky's Tale until I tried a similar Adventure Time game in SteamVR, it's €5 and a bit short but good fun especially if you like the cartoon and want to see how a 3D platformer works in VR. I know nothing about Cronos.

Eve had this odd thing of sticking me outside the Cockpit - my own fault for telling it (Rift) I was 6'2 and then sitting down; so that took a while to sort and I haven't been back yet. Looked pretty but having Elite that didn't really grab me.

Lucky's Tale I've played a stupid amount for a man in his mid-thirties. The wife likes it too! I can't really see what needs to be exclusive about it other than it wouldn't be able to use motion controllers, dick move as I said in the other thread by Oculus.

Cronos is on my wish list for after the exams - looks pretty snazzy! Again absolutely no need for it to be exclusive other than I could see criticism leveled at it as it could have made amazing use of the Vive motion controllers - probably why it got locked up by Oculus tbh. While I've made my feelings plain on motion controls on the other thread - I can see how it could have been a massive selling point in this game. Probably getting project Cars though tbh :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I finished the Brookhaven Experiment Demo. Gosh, what an ending.

In other news, I've run into a weird bug on Hover Junkers. It plays perfectly smoothly most of the time, but when Chaperone turns on fps crashes to, like, 10. According to MSI Afterburner the GPU load drops during these moments, which makes me think this is a software bug more than anything. It was working perfectly yesterday :/

I also tried Out of Ammo today, which is great fun. Don't think it has a huge amount of longevity but it's clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Zillah wrote: »
    I finished the Brookhaven Experiment Demo. Gosh, what an ending.

In other news, I've run into a weird bug on Hover Junkers. It plays perfectly smoothly most of the time, but when Chaperone turns on fps crashes to, like, 10. According to MSI Afterburner the GPU load drops during these moments, which makes me think this is a software bug more than anything. It was working perfectly yesterday :/

I also tried Out of Ammo today, which is great fun. Don't think it has a huge amount of longevity but it's clever.
    Are you running an overclock?

* Just tried Budget cuts earlier and thought it was amazing. Leaning out from around office corners looking for robots passing by. One sees me and legs it towards me and I throw a panic knife right into its face. I then pick it up and hide it in a large bin like a hitman game :)
    I'll definitely pick up the game when it releases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Advertisement

To put this in context, this is 20 minutes of cherry picked footage from a 10 hour livestream on the launch day of the Vive. Have a scan through their full video and see what their overall impression was and check out some more reviews for a balanced opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Indeed. Their later videos show cool things, too. I'm very excited for VR/AR, this didn't put me off it one bit. It just made me laugh because it's quite funny. The bit where he takes the headset off was the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Are you running an overclock?

CPU has built-in turbo boost (seems to just live at 3.9 though). GPU had an overclock when I first hooked up the Vive but the games weren't as stable as I'd like so I reset it. So no, no overclock at the time of this weird bug (as far as I'm concerned nothing changed between it working and not-working; might have updated but I wasn't paying close attention). I even restarted the machine to no avail.
    * Just tried Budget cuts earlier and thought it was amazing. Leaning out from around office corners looking for robots passing by. One sees me and legs it towards me and I throw a panic knife right into its face. I then pick it up and hide it in a large bin like a hitman game :)
    I'll definitely pick up the game when it releases.

I hope they actually put it into the story why your character is strong enough to be able to hurl robots around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What are yee lads using as your home environment? If you enable the beta Steam VR you get access to some custom workshop ones. I'm using the star trek holodeck, not because I'm a fan of star trek..I hate it, but it looks far better than those long horizon ones

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    What are yee lads using as your home environment? If you enable the beta Steam VR you get access to some custom workshop ones. I'm using the star trek holodeck, not because I'm a fan of star trek..I hate it, but it looks far better than those long horizon ones
    Just the standard but thanks for reminding me to switch it to the beta.
    Zillah wrote: »
    CPU has built-in turbo boost (seems to just live at 3.9 though). GPU had an overclock when I first hooked up the Vive but the games weren't as stable as I'd like so I reset it. So no, no overclock at the time of this weird bug (as far as I'm concerned nothing changed between it working and not-working; might have updated but I wasn't paying close attention). I even restarted the machine to no avail.
    I think you were saying your GPU was below the recommended.

I tried my regular stable overclock with VR but it wasn't having it. I had to go back to the original settings.

I think you were saying your GPU was below the recommended.

Yup, so if this had been happening all along I wouldn't bat an eyelid, but I had two days of perfectly fine Hover Junkers and then it went bad. That and the fact that the GPU load drops rather than maxes out tells me something funky is going on.
    I tried my regular stable overclock with VR but it wasn't having it. I had to go back to the original settings.

That's interesting - I wonder why VR would be more finicky about overclocks.

You have to like this American Vive user. Go to about 4:30 mins in and play. LMAO,

facebook basically killed my interest in Oculus stone dead. I'm looking forward to this and Sony's Project Morpheus.

I bought the DK1, but when I saw Abrash being poached and Facebook buying oculus I knew the Rift wouldn't be for me. I'd been following valves research into VR and controller design for a while before that.

Speaking of which, Valves Alan Yates just posted that the Rift CV1 is basically a direct copy of the prototype headset that Valve gave Oculus. :eek:

Bambi wrote: »
    I bought the DK1, but when I saw Abrash being poached and Facebook buying oculus I knew the Rift wouldn't be for me. I'd been following valves research into VR and controller design for a while before that.

Speaking of which, Valves Alan Yates just posted that the Rift CV1 is basically a direct copy of the prototype headset that Valve gave Oculus. :eek:
    An excerpt from Portal 2: the final Hours

http://imgur.com/FfcT04v

This was written in 2011
    FfcT04v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,321 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is anyone after a Vive, I'm not getting the use out of it as suspected, need to move the PC back into the office now so roomscale is going out the window for the time being.

Is anyone after a Vive, I'm not getting the use out of it as suspected, need to move the PC back into the office now so roomscale is going out the window for the time being.
    Adverts.ie
    I cringe thinking about all those low ball offers that will occur :)

Offer a tomytronic shark attack and 20 euro xtravision voucher

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Let's do our best to avoid any new kind of "Playstation vs Xbox" war from happening with the Vive and Rift. Discussing the pros or cons of either devices is absolutely fine, but I will not allow any sort of fanboy wars to happen.

We are all better off without it.

That horse bolted long ago!!

• Advertisement

yeah and it is much smoother on the Vive ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Skerries wrote: »
    yeah and it is much smoother on the Vive ;)

Au contraire. Haven't you heard about Asynchronous Trotwarp on the Rift ;)

I'd already closed the gate, no biggie with a touch controller.

Horse simulator is awesome in room scale btw

05DB166FA204FF563DE5B00755D4497435210904

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

05DB166FA204FF563DE5B00755D4497435210904
    about the same as she spent on a pair of shoes, and will tale bets that i spend more time wearing it then she does.

I'd like to dedicate this song to our friend over in the oculus thread...

LMAO.

41923-brutal-savage-rekt.gif

Skerries wrote: »
    41923-brutal-savage-rekt.gif

I don't think that was drunk monkeys intention, it was light hearted, not mocking. These sorts of posts are causing reactionary replies and not helping the discussion. I stopped going to the Vr subreddits because of the similar lack of tech discussion. If you keep poking people they are not going to think rationally and it hurts both sides who want to talk about Vr as a hobby.

For example, oculus can use chaperone too but I guess that fact will get lost in the teasing

• Advertisement

I don't think that was drunk monkeys intention, it was light hearted, not mocking. These sorts of posts are causing reactionary replies and not helping the discussion. I stopped going to the Vr subreddits because of the similar lack of tech discussion. If you keep poking people they are not going to think rationally and it hurts both sides who want to talk about Vr as a hobby.

For example, oculus can use chaperone too but I guess that fact will get lost in the teasing

Apparently you can plug a rift into the vive breakout box and it works fine

Advertisement