Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I don't think that was drunk monkeys intention, it was light hearted, not mocking. These sorts of posts are causing reactionary replies and not helping the discussion. I stopped going to the Vr subreddits because of the similar lack of tech discussion. If you keep poking people they are not going to think rationally and it hurts both sides who want to talk about Vr as a hobby.

For example, oculus can use chaperone too but I guess that fact will get lost in the teasing
    Absolutely, and a good light hearted laugh it was. Even Professor Xavier on the other thread would be laughing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm one of those Oculus thread guys. I neither understand why the video is funny nor why I might be offended? What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Calibos wrote: »
    I'm one of those Oculus thread guys. I neither understand why the video is funny nor why I might be offended? What am I missing?

0.41:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Interesting concept, if a little premature. Seems MSI and HP are doing similar

Bambi wrote: »

Interesting concept, if a little premature. Seems MSI and HP are doing similar
    It would make me feel like a Ghostbuster :D

Actually that would be a deadly VR game.. Ghostbusters VR.

• Advertisement

0.41:)

(Talking in general now, not about the video in particular)

Ya see this is why I just shake my head every time ye lads spout ill informed nonsense. I couldn't care less if it was amongst yourselves in your own thread but you post the nonsense in the Oculus thread. If it was simply sneering at Oculus purchasers but your facts were correct, it would simply be in poor taste. ie. Why are you getting your jollies from making Oculus buyers feel bad about their purchase. The sneers are facepalm invoking because they're factually wrong 9 times out of 10.

No Chaperone Hurhur! :D

Chaperone is software ye gobshee's. :D Theres hidden unfinished chaperone code in Oculus Home. SteamVR Chaperone supports Rift. It hasn't been activated yet because we don't have touch yet. When we have touch we can set up chaperone bounds by mapping out the room with the controllers just like Lighthouse and the Vive Salad Tongs. The only chaperone related thing Rift and Touch can't do is the Tron mode with the front mounted camera. Tron Mode would be useful if it were triggered by the cat/dog walking into its FOV and about to become a trip hazard for you but its not. You have to invoke it with a couple of button presses afaik. Its a novelty that will quickly wear off. The important part of Chaperone is not the camera but the play area mapping and Rift can do that.

Ya see this is why I just shake my head every time ye lads spout ill informed nonsense. I couldn't care less if it was amongst yourselves in your own thread but you post the nonsense in the Oculus thread. If it was simply sneering at Oculus purchasers but your facts were correct, it would simply be in poor taste. ie. Why are you getting your jollies from making Oculus buyers feel bad about their purchase. The sneers are facepalm invoking because they're factually wrong 9 times out of 10.

Chaperone is software ye gobshee's. :D Theres hidden unfinished chaperone code in Oculus Home. SteamVR Chaperone supports Rift. It hasn't been activated yet because we don't have touch yet. When we have touch we can set up chaperone bounds by mapping out the room with the controllers just like Lighthouse and the Vive Salad Tongs. The only chaperone related thing Rift and Touch can't do is the Tron mode with the front mounted camera. Tron Mode would be useful if it were triggered by the cat/dog walking into its FOV and about to become a trip hazard for you but its not. You have to invoke it with a couple of button presses afaik. Its a novelty that will quickly wear off. The important part of Chaperone is not the camera but the play area mapping and Rift can do that.

THE RIFT IS GOING TO HAVE CHAPERONE.... OKAYYYY, AND ITS GOING TO BE THE BEST CHAPERONE EVERRR *sob *sob

brltQFf.jpg?1

Strong language throughout, but this is brilliant, check out his rage at the Nintendo 2ds if you want more..:D

Touch is going to be interesting because the one thing that VR does not replicate is touch and your fingers are overwhelmingly designed for tactile feedback, I can't see anything which doesn't replicate that feedback being much use for fine motor control stuff

It's much like Lord Gaben pointed out about the whole tom cruise/total recall version of VR that stuff does'nt work because we're not really designed to wave our arms around in thin air

Be interesting to see how that develops

I pre ordered a pair of these touch gloves when the first opened, https://manus-vr.com They didn't take any credit card or anything, looks like it might do the job..

• Advertisement

I pre ordered a pair of these touch gloves when the first opened, https://manus-vr.com They didn't take any credit card or anything, looks like it might do the job..
    Very cool. Hopefully lots of developers work with the SDK since its open source.

I wonder will they be compatible with software already out, would be cool to be able to move your fingers in something like job simulator, take the micky mouse feel off your hands..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I don't bother with tron mode, it's handy if demoing to others and especially new people but I think it's a bit of an immersion breaker (unless I'm using it wrong). The camera though is very handy if you've walked away from your desk and need to come back and find your beer. Also, tron mode activates if you come close to the chaperone bounds but can also be activated anywhere by tapping the button on the side of the hmd.

Sorry for adding to the tension on the Oculus thread, I should have stayed out of it but I felt I had to challenge someone who was claiming that both headsets should be avoided for now after trying a limited few experiences. I want more people to try VR and contribute to the ecosystem, not discourage them.

THE RIFT IS GOING TO HAVE CHAPERONE.... OKAYYYY, AND ITS GOING TO BE THE BEST CHAPERONE EVERRR *sob *sob

brltQFf.jpg?1

Jesus, What age are you? :D

I don't bother with tron mode, it's handy if demoing to others and especially new people but I think it's a bit of an immersion breaker (unless I'm using it wrong). The camera though is very handy if you've walked away from your desk and need to come back and find your beer. Also, tron mode activates if you come close to the chaperone bounds but can also be activated anywhere by tapping the button on the side of the hmd.

Sorry for adding to the tension on the Oculus thread, I should have stayed out of it but I felt I had to challenge someone who was claiming that both headsets should be avoided for now after trying a limited few experiences. I want more people to try VR and contribute to the ecosystem, not discourage them.

Its a small childish but vocal minority both here and on r/oculus and r/Vive that cause all the tension. While they manage to get a lot of anti Oculus sh!tposts to the front page of r/Vive all the time and to only a slightly lesser extent on r/Oculus, I don't think r/Vive is as bad as many r/Oculus members think. Theres always a tonne of r/Vive members calling them out on their BS over there too. You strike me as reasonable and mature Vive owner.

Its a small childish but vocal minority both here and on r/oculus and r/Vive that cause all the tension. While they manage to get a lot of anti Oculus sh!tposts to the front page of r/Vive all the time and to only a slightly lesser extent on r/Oculus, I don't think r/Vive is as bad as many r/Oculus members think. Theres always a tonne of r/Vive members calling them out on their BS over there too. You strike me as reasonable and mature Vive owner.

Tension :eek:

I hope there is an asynchronous humor update for you guys on the Rift, badly needed :pac:

Adam Savage steps into NVIDIA’s VR Funhouse

In other news, holy **** we are getting Lightsaber VR game in June.

ss_b67818eceac0e08b45ea3e834ae481ffe66c6a0a.600x338.jpg?t=1464376059

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You're incredibly smug about what amounts to a few jokes about VR headsets.

Its your goodself Zillah that I'm most surprised about. You've likely the same number of grey hairs as me given our respective boards join dates. I've recognised your boardsie name for over a decade mainly from your A&A forum postings. It was my impression based on reading all your posts over there for the last decade that you'd be the type of person to apply the same reason and logic and shades of grey as opposed to black or white understanding to everything.

I find all this incredibly reminiscent of the regular religious Hit/Fade postings in the A&A forum, "Yeah, well what about [insert simplistic black/white understanding or just plain nonsensical argument]. Haha Checkmate Atheists!! :D " "Explain me this Atheists!!" etc

You try and debate them, explain where they're wrong, explain why things aren't always black/white and you get met with, "Jaysus, you atheists are so serious, why do you get so worked up about this, You atheists are so smug!"

It's all just a bit of friendly banther, I'd say by xmas 2017 the Vive and rift will be relics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

I miss the insightful posts like Duggys mini reviews of demos on the Rift. :(

Doge wrote: »
    I miss the insightful posts like Duggys mini reviews of demos on the Rift. :(

People grow tired of the incessent 'Friendly Banter' of "Should have gotten a Vive Mate :D ", "Its crap if its not Roomscale mate :D ", "Hows your ar$e from all the sitting experiences mate :D ", "Exclusivity Mate!, DRM Mate! Facebookulus Mate :D:D:D "

Thrilled to get my Rift on Friday morning. First thing I thought of was "Must post my exciting news on the boards Oculus/VR threads". Then I realised I knew exactly who would be first to comment and I knew exactly what they would say so I said screw that and just PM'd one poster who I knew might be interested in my news.

Its your goodself Zillah that I'm most surprised about. You've likely the same number of grey hairs as me given our respective boards join dates. I've recognised your boardsie name for over a decade mainly from your A&A forum postings. It was my impression based on reading all your posts over there for the last decade that you'd be the type of person to apply the same reason and logic and shades of grey as opposed to black or white understanding to everything.

I find all this incredibly reminiscent of the regular religious Hit/Fade postings in the A&A forum, "Yeah, well what about [insert simplistic black/white understanding or just plain nonsensical argument]. Haha Checkmate Atheists!! :D " "Explain me this Atheists!!" etc

You try and debate them, explain where they're wrong, explain why things aren't always black/white and you get met with, "Jaysus, you atheists are so serious, why do you get so worked up about this, You atheists are so smug!"

But we're not wrangling the deepest most intellectual philosophical questions, we're talking about VR headsets. No one is being black and white we're just being a little irreverent (and I have previously argued in favour of what strengths the Rift has going for it, but you seem happy to just lump me in with whoever is annoying you over on Reddit, and then make smug dismissive comments about it for some reason). You're the one getting weirdly upset about it as though we were throwing eggs at your children or something.

Finally, this is the Vive thread. You can hardly blame us for talking about the strengths of the Vive.

I'm not blaming you for talking about the strengths of the Vive in the Vive thread. I'm complaining about the 'friendly banter' in the Oculus thread.

Look I give up. No matter what analogies I try to use to shine a light on the type of behaviour, no matter what way I try to make my point, it'll be met with words to the effect of, "It was just a prank bro!!!"

Let's just try and be friends. I like VR computer games, how about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

My vive is on the way now, what are the top 5/6 games to buy do ye think? I already have project cars, so ill need a few others other than that. I did try out some horror shooter game with a vive recently, zombies coming at you in waves, probably gets repetitive after a while.

People grow tired of the incessent 'Friendly Banter' of "Should have gotten a Vive Mate :D ", "Its crap if its not Roomscale mate :D ", "Hows your ar$e from all the sitting experiences mate :D ", "Exclusivity Mate!, DRM Mate! Facebookulus Mate :D:D:D "

Thrilled to get my Rift on Friday morning. First thing I thought of was "Must post my exciting news on the boards Oculus/VR threads". Then I realised I knew exactly who would be first to comment and I knew exactly what they would say so I said screw that and just PM'd one poster who I knew might be interested in my news.

Actually, everyone was quite interested and enjoyed a good joke at the same time and in fairness you walked right into it (Not a room scale pun, I promise) by saying "Guess what I am missing..."

I suspect there will be more interest when you build your PC and can talk about your Rift experience in detail.

Also I wouldn't expect people to be as excited as you are about your Rift given that many people are still waiting for their Rifts they ordered months ago.

ha, he walked straight into it...could be an elephant in front of him and he woudn't see it.. : )

Nedved85 wrote: »
    My vive is on the way now, what are the top 5/6 games to buy do ye think? I already have project cars, so ill need a few others other than that. I did try out some horror shooter game with a vive recently, zombies coming at you in waves, probably gets repetitive after a while.

Ignoring the free stuff you get:

Hot dogs handgrenades and horseshoes
    Budget Cuts Demo
    Vanishing realms
    Eurotruck Simulator 2 if you have a wheel
    Holopoint & Audioshield if you want to move
    For viewing flims etc: Virtual desktop

• Advertisement

Actually, is projects cars worth shelling out on? I've no interest in racing games but I woul'nt mind just driving around in a virtual jammer for a bit

Advertisement