Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Am I right in saying that Call of the Starseed is 28 euro for a two-hour episode and that I'll have to buy each episode separately? Will the subsequent episodes be much cheaper? Cos I'll be a monkey's uncle if I'm going to pay 100+ euro for 4 two-hour experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Bambi wrote: »
    Actually, is projects cars worth shelling out on? I've no interest in racing games but I woul'nt mind just driving around in a virtual jammer for a bit

Its a pretty good racing game, not full on simulator but close enough, definitely worth 18 euro http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/project-cars-pc-cd-key-steam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Nedved85 wrote: »
    My vive is on the way now, what are the top 5/6 games to buy do ye think? I already have project cars, so ill need a few others other than that. I did try out some horror shooter game with a vive recently, zombies coming at you in waves, probably gets repetitive after a while.

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades - love this one.
    Budget Cuts demo - Great game, really looking forward to the full game.
    The Lab.
    Portal Stories VR.
    DCS World - Flight sim.
    Apollo 11.

These look like a good option for mounting the base stations:

http://www.amazon.com/Grifiti-Threaded-Microphone-Diameter-Motorcycles/dp/B00E5M39AW

One to connect to a curtain rail, the other to connect to a spare tripod I have.

These look like a good option for mounting the base stations:

http://www.amazon.com/Grifiti-Threaded-Microphone-Diameter-Motorcycles/dp/B00E5M39AW

One to connect to a curtain rail, the other to connect to a spare tripod I have.

Not too expensive, even from the US.
    Yes, looks very good.

Does the tripod go up to 6.5ft? It doesn't have to, but its recommended.

• Advertisement

Yeah, It'll go to the height of the ceiling easily.

I've actually found the same ones on ebay from the UK for a similar price.

Gonna go for them.

Yeah, It'll go to the height of the ceiling easily.

I've actually found the same ones on ebay from the UK for a similar price.

Gonna go for them.
    Very handy.

I had put off getting stands for so long my Vive arrived and I still hadn't purchased them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hot dogs Hand grenades etc has come up with a really interesting movement trick in the latest release, it allows you to pull yourself via wall rails/handles through the environment, odd but quite interesting to do.

Make me wonder what a snowboard/skiing simulator would be like

Hot dogs Hand grenades etc has come up with a really interesting movement trick in the latest release, it allows you to pull yourself via wall rails/handles through the environment, odd but quite interesting to do.

Make me wonder what a snowboard/skiing simulator would be like

Yeah I thought that was a particularly novel movement system. Could definitely see something like that being used in other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

My vive is on the way now, what are the top 5/6 games to buy do ye think? I already have project cars, so ill need a few others other than that. I did try out some horror shooter game with a vive recently, zombies coming at you in waves, probably gets repetitive after a while.
    If you're interested in breaking a sweat while playing then try these:

AudioShield
    -I'm finding this a great way to switch off and de-stress. You take take your anger out on the big paint balls :) )
    Space Pirate Trainer
    -you move less as you get better at it though

If you want to chill then I reccommend Final Approach and tilt brush. It's a game that just clicked with me, reminiscent of playing with toy cars when I was a kid.

For older people:
    The Blu
    - Simple, no interaction
    Apollo 11
    - I love the concept but it just didn't click with me. Some of my friends were blown away by it and older people too.

The main thing is to keep an open mind and don't judge a game based on what it looks like in screenshots or videos. Instead, look for games that have positive reviews in the steam store or ask here if you want advice.

• Advertisement

Vive winds product of the year at european hardware awards:

http://www.eha.digital/awards/european-hardware-awards-2016-winners-announced/

Not bad for an unfinished product eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Actually, is projects cars worth shelling out on? I've no interest in racing games but I woul'nt mind just driving around in a virtual jammer for a bit
    Assetto Corsa has just released early VR support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Vive winds product of the year at european hardware awards:

http://www.eha.digital/awards/european-hardware-awards-2016-winners-announced/

Not bad for an unfinished product eh? :D

In the 'Best VR Product category' in the same awards that do 'Best GPU' and then 'Best AMD GPU'. A bit like winning car of the year in the Fords with the letters O c u s and optionally F in the name :pac:

Granted it's good to see Vive being promoted but let's not get too excited given that it's competitors are a pretty much identical HMD without the motion controllers, a plastic case and some cardboard origami.

In the 'Best VR Product category' in the same awards that do 'Best GPU' and then 'Best AMD GPU'. A bit like winning car of the year in the Fords with the letters O c u s and optionally F in the name :pac:

Granted it's good to see Vive being promoted but let's not get too excited given that it's competitors are a pretty much identical HMD without the motion controllers, a plastic case and some cardboard origami.

Nah it won the product of the year award...keep scrolling down :D

I mean best VR product was a given :p

Nah it won the product of the year award...keep scrolling down :D

I mean best VR product was a given :p

Ah! Sorry!

Nice one - very glad to see VR getting a thumbs up.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Assetto Corsa has just released early VR support.

Things is I've feck all interest in racing, I just want to toodle around in a car..much like ETS2.

There was actually an obscure driving simulator that you could get working with the CV1 and vorpx (or tridef) which was quite fun.

I love the way that we spend ages waiting for a product. Spend thousands on it (with the rig, the gfx card etc.) and then the hankering is to do something we could just go outside and do :pac:

Things is I've feck all interest in racing, I just want to toodle around in a car..much like ETS2.
    Some people would say that's all AC is good for. :D

The car models are incredibly detailed inside and out, so it's supposed to really make you feel like you're sitting in a car. The tracks are laser scanned so they're a 1:1 representation of the real world which just helps with immersion.

The cars all feel different too (although you may need a wheel to appreciate that).

Maybe one to look out for in sales. Every time they release a DLC they usually do a discount on the main game and the previous DLC.

It's turned me into a complete fanboy for the first time since GTA3. It is a game where you can go out in the same car on the same track and still get a new and rewarding experience 2 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Skerries wrote: »

Hopefully we get to see them being used at E3. With the Vive system you could have base stations all over your house...you'd never have to clean your house again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Used Vive for the first time this evening - wow, amazing piece of kit! Have only positive things to say about the experience

A summary of a few posts over on the Vive subreddit.

Pool Nation VR on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/269170

[DevStuff] The Lab Renderer Available Now for Unity 5.4.

The Lab Renderer is what Valve used in all of the Unity-created experiences in The Lab (everything except Robot Repair). We are shipping this for free to Unity developers as an example of how we think current generation VR rendering can provide the highest fidelity experience with the best performance. [/DevStuff]
    This will greatly benefit us VR heads. Expect to see some games/experiences getting a graphics overhaul.

The Vive will be able to run Windows Holographic platform when thats up and running. Microsoft did a demo of it at Computex 2016.

This reddit user made his own Vive travel case http://imgur.com/a/654h0

'The Nest' for HTC Vive is out next week

This reddit user made his own Vive travel case http://imgur.com/a/654h0

'The Nest' for HTC Vive is out next week

I'm really leery about scoped weapons with a single handed controller, they need to allow you to set a freeze point for the front sight/barrel for a steady aim

I'm really leery about scoped weapons with a single handed controller, they need to allow you to set a freeze point for the front sight/barrel for a steady aim

Yeah I don't know why they don't just use a similar system for bows, where one hand is tethered to a supporting point along the barrel and you can use two-point aiming.

Zillah wrote: »
    Yeah I don't know why they don't just use a similar system for bows, where one hand is tethered to a supporting point along the barrel and you can use two-point aiming.

Hot dogs handmaidens and HGVs (or whatever) allows you to use the second hand to grip the barrell on rifles/shotguns its works-ish, but its awkward with a scope

What I was thinking was something along the lines being able to set a fixed position lock, like the barrel is on a tripod

something along the lines of Pool Nation where you can lock the front of the cue in place but the rear hand can still maneuver the cue around that fixed point

Zillah wrote: »

I've not tried the vive yet, but I imagine they'll need to release either a gun controller or something the existing remotes can attach on to, to make it feel like a gun. Ie, you can hold it two handed. I've a grand plan to buy a cheap toy one and get the duck tape out ;)

I've not tried the vive yet, but I imagine they'll need to release either a gun controller or something the existing remotes can attach on to, to make it feel like a gun. Ie, you can hold it two handed. I've a grand plan to buy a cheap toy one and get the duck tape out ;)

I am actually impressed with the controllers as guns inside of VR. Speaking of course about Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand grenades. It feels deadly loading a gun and aiming down sight.

It works grand for pistols, but when you're shooting something bigger it actually ruins immersion a little, because you can casually swing around this giant rifle as though it was made of paper. I haven't tried horseshoes yet - it's on my list - but in games like HordeZ the submachineguns feel like they're water pistols.

I wonder could the oculus system be at an advantage when it comes to using other objects in game because it uses camera tracking? It would be pretty cool if you could put some stickers on the likes of airsoft guns and have them tracked in game.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wonder could the oculus system be at an advantage when it comes to using other objects in game because it uses camera tracking? It would be pretty cool if you could put some stickers on the likes of airsoft guns and have them tracked in game.

Rift peripherals need IR LEDs on them, which is probably easier than putting Vive photosensors on third-party tools, but still not trivial. Certainly not a sticker!

Advertisement