Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Zillah wrote: »
    It works grand for pistols, but when you're shooting something bigger it actually ruins immersion a little, because you can casually swing around this giant rifle as though it was made of paper. I haven't tried horseshoes yet - it's on my list - but in games like HordeZ the submachineguns feel like they're water pistols.

You can one hand a shotgun in hotdogs but the aim is better with both

Some people have created tube/qualpex frames that they can slot the handsets into to use em like a rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've seen videos of Vive controllers mounted in a gun shaped contraption made out of plastic plumbing pipe and of Touch controllers attached to a Rockband game guitar. I think in 2017 if we start to see a combined VR user base of a million or so HMDs then we might start to see developemts in the area of tracked peripherals or at least peripherals to which we can attach our tracked controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It really should be trivially easy to 3D print a rifle prop into which the vive controllers slot, and have them tracked as a single object. I'm sure a half-way decent developer could throw together a prototype in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

HTC Vive now shipping within 72 hours of order

Team fusion (they create the updates to il2: Cliffs of dover) were developing a rift mod for it but the whole hardware DRM shenanigans convinced them to switch to openVR

Hopefully it works out because I'd put silly time into cliffs of dover in VR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

War Thunder now officially supports the HTC Vive

War Thunder now officially supports the HTC Vive

Not a fan of warthunder but if it lets me strafe stuff in the vive then happy days

Bambi wrote: »
    Not a fan of warthunder but if it lets me strafe stuff in the vive then happy days
    I haven't checked it out yet. Some people recommend activating sim flight mode to avoid motion sickness on the Rift and Vive just for all VR people to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just try and not embarrass yourself as you hold your arms out and make plane noises

Skerries wrote: »
    just try and not embarrass yourself as you hold your arms out and make plane noises

The real fun in DCS is standing up so your heads outside the cockpit...or standing up and stepping outside the plane...which feels very odd.

• Advertisement

Iv'e been using a HOTAS for DCS world so I am interested to see how War Thunder goes using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Iv'e been using a HOTAS for DCS world so I am interested to see how War Thunder goes using it.

I tried this with a DK2 and HOTAS before. It was a real pain to get the controls right, I think I used advanced controls in the end rather than arcade but they might have changed the defaults for VR now.

I tried this with a DK2 and HOTAS before. It was a real pain to get the controls right, I think I used advanced controls in the end rather than arcade but they might have changed the defaults for VR now.
    I was surprised when I hooked in my Thrustmaster T-flight hotas 4. Most of it was automatically mapped for me so I only had to map a few buttons for flaps, landing gear, landing chute, change of view, etc.

I am sure there is a zillion other buttons but I am just starting so staying with the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

so did anyone order a Vive last week following their announcement of no delays and shipping in 2-3 days? Interested to see how those orders progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Branoic wrote: »
    so did anyone order a Vive last week following their announcement of no delays and shipping in 2-3 days? Interested to see how those orders progress.

I ordered one 3 weeks ago, had it a week later.

I was surprised when I hooked in my Thrustmaster T-flight hotas 4. Most of it was automatically mapped for me so I only had to map a few buttons for flaps, landing gear, landing chute, change of view, etc.

I am sure there is a zillion other buttons but I am just starting so staying with the basics.

I hooked up a X45 and warthunder decided it should map the rudder pedals instead. TBH I cant play it...poxy interface (russians cant do UX) and everything feels cartoony

Am I the only one who noticed that steam big picture ****s itself in VR when you have a joystick attached? The cursor flickers between the VR controller and the joystick so you have to go back to the mouse to select anything

So a VR version of Fallout 4 is coming to the vive, be interesting to see how they do it.

I'd rather they left well alone and built from scratch rather than put out a half arsed port

Is there any irony to be found in a game that is locked to 60fps being remade for a device that requires at least 90fps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

I ordered a 1070 and a Vive earlier, fingers crossed I'll be up and running by the end of the week!

Shred wrote: »
    I ordered a 1070 and a Vive earlier, fingers crossed I'll be up and running by the end of the week!

Sincerely doubt you'll have a 1070 next week.

EDIT: Oh you went FE.

• Advertisement

EDIT: Oh you went FE.

Yup!

The vive arrived today, no sign of my (shameful FE) card yet! 2 working days, pretty good service from HTC all the same.

The (rather shoddy FE) GPU has been dispatched this morning, whoop!

The famous prototype room that you can find in 'The Lab'

Its realllll

ValvePrototypeVIsit-29-Medium.jpg

Very interesting part at 13 minutes.

Seems to be getting very good reviews.

Battle Dome
    Have a virtual shootout with other players! Work by yourself or with teammates to achieve victory. Will you survive the Battle Dome?

A reddit posters review of it.
    fter hearing everyones rave reviews I went in on it. I generally don't like games with crap graphics and sound I feel like that is 20 years of video game evolution that we have come to expect on games that cost money let alone 15 bucks. This was the thrill of titanfall in vr. The thrill of real life paint ball. I played for 70 mins straight before I finally needed a break.
    The graphics never stopped sucking, guys shot me through walls and it never stopped being fun. I really hope that the game gets better graphics and sound but I have very low expectations based on how it is now. With that said I wish the dev would sell this for 4.99 and become an instant buy for every vive owner so we can fill up the servers there is definitely not enough players. The game isnt worth more than that unless more developers and artists are joining the team and even then raise the price when that happens. I recommend that you get it but you wont ever forget the price you paid for this super ugly fat girl that you cant take in public but she knows how to make you feel good.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/484870/

Battle Dome confuses me. It looks like an absolute piece of shit. Like, if someone made an indy game as an end of year project to show their lecturer they had mastered the fundamental basics of how to make a bare-minimum-functioning game with no polish or style, this is what I would expect it to look like.

And yet such a huge number of people are constantly singing its praises. It really seems like it has hit some sweet spot when it comes to gameplay that is really working for people.

I haven't tried it yet but the more time goes by the more tempted I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Battle Dome confuses me. It looks like an absolute piece of shit. Like, if someone made an indy game as an end of year project to show their lecturer they had mastered the fundamental basics of how to make a bare-minimum-functioning game with no polish or style, this is what I would expect it to look like.

And yet such a huge number of people are constantly singing its praises. It really seems like it has hit some sweet spot when it comes to gameplay that is really working for people.

I haven't tried it yet but the more time goes by the more tempted I feel.
    Yup - I had a look there and it does look rough! Reviews say otherwise alright :/

steam sale coming up, thats the only way I'd buy it

• Advertisement

I've been blown away over the past couple of nights dabbling while waiting for the 1070 to arrive; it really is an unbelievable piece of kit, the wife (who was of course sceptical before I bought it) was trying it out last night and said "I can't believe this cost less than a grand!". I've just been messing around in the lab (notable mentions to Xortex and Longbow) along with a bit of Job Simulator; both are immense fun and the scaling does a very decent job with my R9 380 to be fair, albeit in low quality. The 1070 just arrived this afternoon so I'm looking forward to giving it another lash tonight with that. I've been eyeing up a few games and I'm interested in Hover Junkers, Audioshield, Vanishing Realms amongst others, I'll probably pick up at least one of them over the weekend especially while the sale is on.

Advertisement