Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Got shipping confirmation earlier today, Wave 2 Ireland. Dispatched from Prague by DHL, delivery by end of day tomorrow (I guess that's what €75 shipping gets you). Haven't been give steam keys for the bundled games yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

were you in the April wave?

Yeah April Wave 2. Ordered about 35 mins after pre-orders went live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

sink wrote: »
    Got shipping confirmation earlier today, Wave 2 Ireland. Dispatched from Prague by DHL, delivery by end of day tomorrow (I guess that's what €75 shipping gets you). Haven't been give steam keys for the bundled games yet.
    Congrats man, mine left Prague at 14:00 on the 5th and arrived at 10:30am on the 6th. I got the Steam key on the 5th but I've heard that they are a bit behind atm.

Anyway, best of luck with it! - if you have any problems add me on steam. I've been playing mine every day for two weeks now and have stopped playing regular games completely.

Got it set up and running all right but there were a couple of problems.

I can install HTC's own Vive software, every time I try I get a 'can't connect to vive server' error and won't continue. Luckily you don't need it for Steam VR. The only thing I think I'm missing out on is the pass-trough camera. The chaperone grid-lines work fine, so I'm ok without it for the moment.

At first I had lots of weird flicker and texture issues, I disabled SLi and it disappeared. My system is an i5-2500k OC 4.5Ghz, 2 X 780 GTX with 8GB DDR3, and with one GPU disable it still ran perfectly fine on the games I tried. Due to lack of support for SLi my system comes in just below the recommended spec. I may run into problems with The Gallery as I've hear that is the most demanding game. I am holding out upgrading until Nvidia Pascal comes out which looks likely to be released in the next few months.

The headset is comfortable enough even with glasses if a little bit front heavy. I have my own Sennheiser on ear headphones but they proved too much of a pain in the ass to put on and take off that I ended up using the supplied ear buds, which weren't too bad. Screen door effect is not much of an issue, I can still clearly see the pixels but the seem tighter bunched than previous headsets. The low resolution is the biggest issue, I will definitely be upgrading to a 4K HMD as soon as they're available. The FOV is adequate and you tend to forget about it once you're immersed.

I wouldn't say anything has blown me away so far. I was just experimenting with a lot of games, not spending too much time on any one. I tried The Lab, Space Pirate Trainer, Holopoint, Audioshield and The Blu. My favourite probably being the Archery game in the Lab.

So far I'm happy enough with the investment but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. It still needs a lot of polish before it non techy people will be setting it up in their house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The only thing I think I'm missing out on is the pass-trough camera. The chaperone grid-lines work fine, so I'm ok without it for the moment.

You have to enable the camera in the steam vr settings

the brookhaven experiment is worth a look

Also Euro truck simulator now working for many people

Bambi wrote: »
    You have to enable the camera in the steam vr settings

the brookhaven experiment is worth a look

Also Euro truck simulator now working for many people

Cool thanks for that.

Also I noticed today and I mysteriously had a lot of extra money in my bank account. On closer inspection the payment for my Vive has disappeared from my bank statement and at the moment it seems I have a free Vive. I know HTC has had alot of payment isssues, I should probably contact them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I know HTC has had alot of payment isssues, I should probably contact them

Or...

Zillah wrote: »
    Or...

I would think its best not to bother them when they're so busy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea give them time to take my money first, still waiting on the Claw : (

• Advertisement

Just got my shipment notification, woo hoo, nothing gone off my credit card woo hoo!!

Just got my shipment notification, woo hoo, nothing gone off my credit card woo hoo!!

Was there ever a pending transaction on your card? I'm with Ulster bank and since Sat/Sun I had a pending transaction appear on my online statement, then it disappeared yesterday, and on that day my Vive was delivered.

Nothing showing, it's AIB and I reckon the all go on holidays every Friday, probably show up around Tuesday.

Any recommendation of what to buy on steam? I've downloaded all the free items. Should have the Vive tomorrow.

Is hover Junkies worth the money? I read it's only 2 hrs long, space pirates looks a little repetitive, might get the Apollo experience just to show my dad tried the beta on the DK2.

Any recommendation of what to buy on steam? I've downloaded all the free items. Should have the Vive tomorrow.

Is hover Junkies worth the money? I read it's only 2 hrs long, space pirates looks a little repetitive, might get the Apollo experience just to show my dad tried the beta on the DK2.

Its a tough one, most of the games are more like snippets of whats to come. They're more like arcade games

Forgotten Realms is the closest thing to a completed game and its worth the admission price

Hotdogs hand grenades and horseshoes is pricey for the amount of content but I love it, a lot of fun to be had handling firearms at the range

Audioshield and Holopoint are arcadey type experiences but they are well worth the money

The BrookHaven Experiment demo is great

Eurotruck 2 is working now in the Vive, great stuff.

I havent bought hoverjunkers yet..the price put me off

I have euro truck, will the Vive add anything extra, suppose some of the games I already have will keep me going, dcs world etc

The gallery seems to get good reviews as well but the price is high.

Have you virtual desktop?

I have euro truck, will the Vive add anything extra, suppose some of the games I already have will keep me going, dcs world etc

The gallery seems to get good reviews as well but the price is high.

Have you virtual desktop?

If you've played ET" on oculus CV its the same but with better resolution and menus.

Yep have Virtual Desktop but I haven't used it much..watched a bit of netflix.

Havent used DCS world mainly because most of the modules I bought for it dont work with steam and I refuse to hand them more money, have no time for that developer

Trying to decide what room to set it up in, haven't enough space where the PC is, would I have enough room with 3mt long and 4mt wide or would it be tight on some games.
    Also with the dk2 I was having trouble when connecting the oculus and PC through HDMI so ended up using mini display port and hdmi.

The plan with the Vive is to run the PC into the TV through HDMI and use the HDMI for the Vive as well, is that the way you have it set up?

Trying to decide what room to set it up in, haven't enough space where the PC is, would I have enough room with 3mt long and 4mt wide or would it be tight on some games.
    Also with the dk2 I was having trouble when connecting the oculus and PC through HDMI so ended up using mini display port and hdmi.

The plan with the Vive is to run the PC into the TV through HDMI and use the HDMI for the Vive as well, is that the way you have it set up?

3mt X 4mt is more space than I have and I'm alright for most games

I have a desk in my living room for the PC so I basically had cleared one half of the living room out bar the desk and a bookcase in the corner..then I pushed the book case over to the other side of the room and that made a huge difference. It's not too bad, i just need to move the armchairs back into position and the living room looks normal again more or less.

Pro Tip: if you don't have a high ceiling buy a load of spare light bulbs :D

I have the vive hooked into the PC via HDMI, I can't remember if I'm running the PC monitor off HDMI or DVI. I think DVI because I couldn't find a HDMI cable.

I think the LAB, theBlu and Job Simulator are the first ports of call. Job Simulator really gets you to buy into the VR environment, probably because it does'nt need a teleport mechanism

I was showing my brother something in the gun simulator, an arena where you throw hand grenades to knock over blocks. Anyway he said a few days later he was trying to remember where he was playing this game. His brain convinced him it must have been a physical location.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Are you buying from the website folks?
    I had a look today and it's saying delivery in June. Is that correct or am I missing something?

• Advertisement

I purchased on the 5 April and it says I will get it in May sometime so the June date is probably accurate

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Awkward Customer

I see you can now preorder the vive from overclockers.co.uk. Free delivery in the UK. Works out at about €930 to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

In a good few Vive videos I see people wearing some kind of belt around their waist that helps with the cable management.

Anyone know what that is?

dunno but some ideas here

http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/oculus-rift-or-htc-vive-cord/

or buy one of these :D

9uxUKkS.jpg

Skerries wrote: »
    9uxUKkS.jpg

Ordered :D

Nvidia driver errors are driving me nuts..what drivers is everyone using, PC is freezing a lot since trying to install Vive setup, managed to play a few things but I'm plagued with freezes.

The Brookhaven experiment made me completely forget I was playing a game about 5 minutes in..surreal experience.

Anyone else buy from the US?

Ireland - € 974.03. Pre-orders will start shipping May 2016
    US - $829.00. (€ 735) Expected to ship around June 2016

€240 saving?!?

Nvidia driver errors are driving me nuts..what drivers is everyone using, PC is freezing a lot since trying to install Vive setup, managed to play a few things but I'm plagued with freezes.

The Brookhaven experiment made me completely forget I was playing a game about 5 minutes in..surreal experience.

Not sure, I'll check version tonight. I'm running a gtx 970 on a fresh install of windows 10

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote: »
    Anyone else buy from the US?

Ireland - € 974.03. Pre-orders will start shipping May 2016
    US - $829.00. (€ 735) Expected to ship around June 2016

€240 saving?!?
    How much of a saving is it once import tax is applied.

Advertisement