Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chilli seeds / plants compact varities - where to buy

• 01-03-2015 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

hi

id like to try some compact varieties for windowsill growing
    there is no seeds available in the few places ive tried
    just your usual cayenne, bonnets, hungarians etc

is there any chance of me picking up plants later in the season?
    things like, numex twilight, prairie fire, loco etc

any places do seeds of the above
    or am i better mail ordering from UK now and sowing next week?
    any advice on places with a quick delivery?

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

South Devon chill farm in the UK. I buy from them all the time. Very professional set up, with a great range of products.

http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭fourmations

thanks outkast

i assume there no chance of picking up those intersting varities in plant form in ireland in a month or two? ive only ever seen apache but it years since ive tried growing so maybe things have improved?

just worried if im a bit late for planting seeds?

thanks

thanks outkast

i assume there no chance of picking up those intersting varities in plant form in ireland in a month or two? ive only ever seen apache but it years since ive tried growing so maybe things have improved?

just worried if im a bit late for planting seeds?

thanks
    No your not late for alot of them, however i think the Habernero type chillis take longer than standard ones to come to fruit etc so if you were planning on those types you would need to act quickly. Joes long are one of my favourite along with thai hot

You can get some of the varities here, but i find the stuff from south devon to be top notch, last year i had about a 95% success rate getting their seeds to germinate and become seedlings successfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I buy a plant in Aldi every year . It's a Red Apache. Very hot and a great cropper. I repot it, feed it regularly and pick chillies all Summer through Winter. In fact I'm still using dried pods now. Worth the money by me.

I buy a plant in Aldi every year . It's a Red Apache. Very hot and a great cropper. I repot it, feed it regularly and pick chillies all Summer through Winter. In fact I'm still using dried pods now. Worth the money by me.
    Yeah apache are a handy plant.

To be honest the only problem i ever get with growing chillis is the greenfly around here go nuts for them. Sometimes its a battle to control them

• Advertisement

cheers lads

ill keep an eye out for an apache, ive never had one
    any rough idea when they usually turn up?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Souness

Definitely not too late to sow most chilli varieties. I use the South Devon chilli farm too, great service and variety. Ordered seeds off them a few weeks ago and they arrived in two days. Sowed jalapenos and pimientos de padron about a week ago and some hungarian hot wax the week before.

Grew Fresno Yellow last year with seeds from a fresh supermarket chilli. Sowed in late march, started croppng early August. Overwintered two plants and they are blossoming again. Medium heat and very productive and attractive plant, definitely recommend it.

hi

i ended up getting seeds from an ebay shop
    sowed most of them tonight
    (padron, bonnets, f1 cheyenne, cayenne, numex twilight, prairie fire)

i bought a pack of habs and sowed them a week ago
    i also sowed 8 tesco birds eyes with seed from the fruit and they have all germinated, sowed the red tesco chili too (ive been told its fresno) but not
    germinated yet

i asked in homebase tonight about when they get the apache plants in
    and they said it was 8-10 week away (for anyone whos interested)

cheers

Advertisement