Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Repair Question

Options
  • 01-03-2015 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all, I have a two year old laptop, an Advent Monza T200. A few months ago, I noticed the area around the charger overheating, and since then it only charges when I hold the charger cable in a very exact way, which as you can imagine is quite a nuicansse. Recently it only works some of the time, even when I do that. Would anyone know roughly how much it would cost to get that problem fixed? Feel free to ask any more questions about my problem, and thanks on advance for any help :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you tried a different charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 randomguy101

Stheno wrote: »
    Have you tried a different charger?

Ya, I've tried the charger on my mams laptop aswell and it charges that no problem, the chargers definitely not at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'd say the DC jack (socket on the motherboard) is faulty. I wouldn't leave it unattended and plugged in. Unfortunately it looks like its soldered onto the board. You might find a new board cheaper than someone to resolder a new one, although the part won't cost much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I had this problem with my last laptop whilst travelling. It's not a complicated repair and if you take it into a repair shop (if you can find one!) it should be cheap enough. It's literally just a case of heating the solder, whipping out the jack, popping a new one in and re-soldering. It's an hour's work - being generous, wouldn't expect more than 40-50 quid.

You could also do it yourself if you're in any way technically inclined and have access to a soldering iron. You should be able to find the jack online, probably ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

I had this problem with my last laptop whilst travelling. It's not a complicated repair and if you take it into a repair shop (if you can find one!) it should be cheap enough. It's literally just a case of heating the solder, whipping out the jack, popping a new one in and re-soldering. It's an hour's work - being generous, wouldn't expect more than 40-50 quid.

You could also do it yourself if you're in any way technically inclined and have access to a soldering iron. You should be able to find the jack online, probably ebay.

I agree that it's not a complicated repair.

As regards attempting it yourself:
    If you haven't done a lot of soldering, you could overheat the board/contacts etc. and do some serious damage to the main board.

Probably best leave it to a professional as previously suggested...

• Advertisement
Advertisement