Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Raining here near Arklow at the moment
    Sky has that I've come a long way from France and I'm a bit jaded look about it
    Wavy and disturbed but all the action dried out of it

It may be a bit unlikely but don't rule out and interesting evening yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

It may be a bit unlikely but don't rule out and interesting evening yet.
    Aye there's very very little on the northern tip of that shower train but it looks like that activity west of Cornwall is traveling up that line and if it continues to do so it will reach Wexford and Wicklow ?
    Trouble is ,an encroaching front from the west will be moving that line East

Is it the activity that was previously modelled to miss the East and head into Cumbria?
    I forget

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Tony Gilbert on UKWW going for surface base thunderstorms today over Ireland from the eastward moving cold front. We'll see I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Isle of Skye and NW Scotland getting a pasting atm. Best cam I can find so far:

http://www.whiteheatherhotel.co.uk/isle_of_skye_webcam.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

V_Moth wrote: »
    Isle of Skye and NW Scotland getting a pasting atm. Best cam I can find so far:

http://www.whiteheatherhotel.co.uk/isle_of_skye_webcam.html

Very well could be a supercell, "hook " visible on radar

353791.png

• Advertisement

Liking the WRF's take on this evening breaking out convection within an area of strong instability compared the the NMM which has it further west in more stable air.

nmm_uk1-1-13-0_czk7.png

nmm_uk1-6-13-0_tmz8.png

Hmmm might have to try chase this :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Very well could be a supercell, "hook " visible on radar

353791.png

Nice. Moving through very quickly - pity it is in an area with hardly any places likely to have a webcam!

Nice line of cells over Cornwall too.

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb?ir=false

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hi Maq are we likely to see anything out of this rain in the South West moving North, the only mention of rain in the 1pm forecast was rain in the South West and West moving North no mention of thunder anywhere.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Hi Maq are we likely to see anything out of this rain in the South West moving North, the only mention of rain in the 1pm forecast was rain in the South West and West moving North no mention of thunder anywhere.

Maybe but I doubt it. I think if anything does kick off here it will probably be further north and east of that. But there's no guarantee there will be any storms here at all.

• Advertisement

Maybe but I doubt it. I think if anything does kick off here it will probably be further north and east of that. But there's no guarantee there will be any storms here at all.

Thanks Maq, very sticky here and flat calm maybe a breeding ground for something later , looking at the radar its getting larger as it moves up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Potent rainfall radar returns over west Cork and the N Cork/S Limerick border in the last radar return (raintoday.co.uk)

Still no Irish sparks yet... http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime

Danno wrote: »
    Potent rainfall radar returns over west Cork and the N Cork/S Limerick border in the last radar return (raintoday.co.uk)

Still no Irish sparks yet... http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime

Elevated messy stuff... the slight clearance moving up is when the potential will be

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Cumulus Clouds visible now from Naas over the Wicklow direction

Gone very dark and muggy in Galway now from the South, nothing showing but we live in hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

pad199207 wrote: »
    Cumulus Clouds visible now from Naas over the Wicklow direction

Aye,I see altocumulus here too all to the south camouflaged by a general bank of cloud like an approaching dry front if you get me?
    Not optimistic for activity here but sparks are possible over the Wicklow mtns with that Aughrim temp of 27c (25.4 here last I looked)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

The UK is having a good show , not looking good for us is it...

Bucketing down in Galway now but no sparks :(

Sunshine here now and temps are shooting up 23.3c now.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    The UK is having a good show , not looking good for us is it...

The cold front isn't even here yet... don't lose all hope until the 7 at least...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Iancar29 wrote: »
    The cold front isn't even here yet... don't lose all hope until the 7 at least...

Haahah.. I've camera's at the ready and I'm impatient.

Looks like clouds trying to go up in the midlands ...
    353808.png

As posted over on the other thread...

Just shy of 24c here now (23.9c) and prolonged sunshine for the past hour or so. Plenty of surface heating going on which bodes well for later if other factors come in to play.

Cell developed over The Silvermines if I'm not mistaken

pad199207 wrote: »
    Cell developed over The Silvermines if I'm not mistaken

Not quite, developed over the Galtees and pushing north just west of Thurles.

Moneygall the firing line... watch out Barack O'Bama plaza! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Just, we seem to have lift off in Tipp!!! Fantastic returns on radar. No sparks yet but would expect some any moment now

highdef wrote: »
    Just, we seem to have lift off in Tipp!!! Fantastic returns on radar. No sparks yet but would expect some any moment now

Sparks on my detector here the last few minutes - incidentally there is another detector in Thurles also but I think it needs a few other stations confirming on the lightningmaps.org to report a strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Starting to bubble up nicely over Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

highdef wrote: »

Yep, strike just detected from that cell.

• Advertisement

Lightning just North of Nenagh.

Advertisement