Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Getting dark here in cork. Is there definite lightening for tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Somethings brewing.

wheres this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cork airport TAF warning of Thunderstorm,rain,small hail/snow pellets on approach .EICK 031842Z 0318/0418 10016KT 9999 SCT012 BKN017 BECMG 0319/0321 BKN005 TEMPO 0319/0405 4000 SHRA BKN005 BKN020CB PROB40 TEMPO 0319/0405 3000 TSRAGS BKN005 BKN020CB BECMG 0322/0324 15013KT BECMG 0404/0406 24016G27KT 9999 SCT010 BKN016 BECMG 0410/0412 22013KT

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    wheres this?

Carlow looking south.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

For what it's worth, the intense blobs of precip have vanished on the latest short range model update. Still looks showery tonight but a downgrade in terms of intensity.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Very dark skies in Kilkenny.

Had some light rain already.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We will have nothing like North west Italy at the moment and it has been that way for hours there...

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭frogloch

Anyone in cork, must be a cloudburst going by latest radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

The strikes off the south coast of Ireland seem to be moving further east. There have been some strikes in Wales too.

Strike showing up over Ennis. Not sure if it's an error though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got that on my own detector here. Thing to remember is that Ireland is pretty poorly covered by the detector networks and only some strikes will be picked up on the mostly British network.

There,s a definite easterly airmass coming in here over wexford, its not cold but the cloud is moving nnw. It kindof calm, sound would carry a long distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Starting to get a bit more busy South of Wexford now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Danno wrote: »
    Got that on my own detector here. Thing to remember is that Ireland is pretty poorly covered by the detector networks and only some strikes will be picked up on the mostly British network.

Radar wouldn't be the May west south of Waterford either where there's just been a strike in light precip

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Personally not quite ready to upgrade from WATCH to ALERT status yet, but with some development underway, more optimistic than pessimistic. Might upgrade at any point now to midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

RobertKK wrote: »
    We will have nothing like North west Italy at the moment and it has been that way for hours there...

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/piemonte/torino/piazza-vittorio-veneto.html

Livcam from Turin for anyone waitingon Irish t-storms later on :)

Strike off Hook Head now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I'm still camping in a field on the Cavan/Fermanagh border, hopefully something later tonight.

To answer an earlier question about why in a field camping it's not to sit and wait for a storm like some smart arse suggested earlier.. I'm a scouting volunteer.

Cloud is moving northwards, breeze is coming from east here in wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Brother is in limerick and said he seen a flash and rumble so no error.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

frogloch wrote: »
    Cloud is moving northwards, breeze is coming from east here in wexford.
    Yeah same in Arklow and I'd agree it's a warm breeze,not at all feeling like it's what a breeze off the Irish Sea would feel like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

sparrowcar wrote: »
    I'm still camping in a field on the Cavan/Fermanagh border, hopefully something later tonight.

To answer an earlier question about why in a field camping it's not to sit and wait for a storm like some smart arse suggested earlier.. I'm a scouting volunteer.

One of my favourite things about summer camp in scouts, was being out in a thunderstorm and the rain hopping off the tent, flashlights at the ready for the obligatory night hike...

At the moment, doesn't look like there is much following on after that little cell near the Wexford coast that has produced a few strikes.

looks very very quite following on , Maq.

Sky looks like its about to go bang here over Naas. Very Turbulant looking.

I can hear the distant thunder here in Waterford from those strikes around Hook Head.

Wind is nearly opposite to the direction of the clouds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

I remember being on a camping trip with the scouts up in the Wicklow mountains. Huge thunderstorms rolled in off the Irish Sea that night. Ended up soaked to the skin and our tents collapsed in the wind.

Belmullet doing quite nicely out of the south easterly flow, 18 degrees at 10pm, theres many days of the year that wouldnt get higher than that!

• Advertisement

Thunder and the heavens have opened,i was wondering how long that water could stay up there. Oh wait it's stopped now.

Advertisement