Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 15

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

We're just too far west of the plume.

Watch this for the latest storm developments. Cyan and red are what we're looking for. Plenty of that going on in SE England, where theta-e values are well above 60 °C, compared to <50 here.

http://www.nwcsaf.org/NRT_images/ImaGIF_RDT____ORIG_RES_LOOP.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

FWVT wrote: »
    We're just too far west of the plume.

Watch this for the latest storm developments. Cyan and red are what we're looking for. Plenty of that going on in SE England, where theta-e values are well above 60 °C, compared to <50 here.

http://www.nwcsaf.org/NRT_images/ImaGIF_RDT____ORIG_RES_LOOP.html

Getting that level of storm was never on here tonight. But more isolated, less intense cells could still develop at times which is all we have to go on.

Edit, some activity south Irish sea now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Lightning every 5-10 seconds here in west London for a good 90 minutes now, no doubt an amazing light show if I had the freedom to sit and watch. Frustratingly though I've been stuck with visitors all night, only managed to wriggle free in the pat 10 minutes and the best has all but passed. Although it looks impressive on radar there hasn't been a single rumble anywhere near my location though, all distant thunder with the loudest rumble all night barely registering as a 'wheelie bin' type rumble

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Worth keeping an eye on Sunday's potential. Slow moving thundery showers quite possible. 559702a28044f.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

dacogawa wrote: »

CAPE values improve (slightly) over the Irish Sea over the next couple of hours. It's probably just enough to help set off a few extra thundershowers but probably not enough for anything too exciting.

Still, could be a chance for those on the east coast to see something though probably from a bit of a distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Brief downpour in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Harps wrote: »
    Lightning every 5-10 seconds here in west London for a good 90 minutes now, no doubt an amazing light show if I had the freedom to sit and watch. Frustratingly though I've been stuck with visitors all night, only managed to wriggle free in the pat 10 minutes and the best has all but passed. Although it looks impressive on radar there hasn't been a single rumble anywhere near my location though, all distant thunder with the loudest rumble all night barely registering as a 'wheelie bin' type rumble

Dont know where your based but theres an other one coming up from the south.

Seems the most fun is now north of us.

Still, could be a chance for those on the east coast to see something though probably from a bit of a distance.

Bit knife edge in terms of wind direction alright which has shifted more southerly in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Right. We're done and dusted here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭frogloch

Bit knife edge in terms of wind direction alright which has shifted more southerly in the last hour.

Possibly hit Wicklow and Dublin, it is getting bigger though.

• Advertisement

afatbollix wrote: »

Well this thing has a mind of its own Its above me again :)

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Worth keeping an eye on Sunday's potential. Slow moving thundery showers quite possible. 559702a28044f.gif

Yep.

nmmuk-6-42-0_hld5.png
    nmmuk-7-42-0_mrl6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

Im gonna turn the camera a bit towards South, looking over the Dublin mountains towards Bray direction

afatbollix wrote: »

I was mistaken in saying the best had passed, still bright flashes every few seconds with almost strobe lightning at times, brilliant now I have the freedom to appreciate it

Just had a massive crash of thunder overhead as I'm typing as well, epic :D:D

Mech1 wrote: »
    Im gonna turn the camera a bit towards South, looking over the Dublin mountains towards Bray direction

There is some activity registering in the Irish sea off the Co Wexford coast but it's not that active right now. As we know though this can change quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Things just exploded here in north Bedfordshire. Most impressive lightning + monsoon combination I've seen in years.

Storm now active in Irish sea just east of Wicklow. Couple of strikes (presumably intracloud) just off Wicklow coast in last few minutes.

Must not laugh at the people coming out of the pubs with nothing on and getting soaked in the rain.

Ive never seen rain like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

sferic_20150703.gif

Seems accurate going on the reports earlier...

Coming up to 2 and a half hours of constant thunder and lightning now in London, just as things seemed to be quietening down a massive downpour has just started out of the blue with lightning still flashing from all directions :D

Loving it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Best i managed to capture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There are some pretty strong gusts of wind here in Cork City at the moment just got woken up by a loud bang as doors blew shut in the house!

Related to the thunder type systems ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Wind picking up a fair bit on the coast in Dublin. Low cloud has suddenly started to develop just over land and travelling north west.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Sweet Lord, look at the UK, getting bombarded. Wow..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

Sorry got a bit of water in the wiring, sorted now, camera live again but no audio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Sweet Lord, look at the UK, getting bombarded. Wow..

What are you watching jimmy?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Christ 9 pages in 4 hours and people are just posting the same type of weather we have had in Mayo all week and with zero activity, sister is over in London and they are getting beautiful cells over head!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭I carried a watermelon

A couple of rumbles here in Skerries,

• Advertisement

Some good news. Conditions (at the moment) looking good for a fairly broad risk of some thunderstorms popping up tomorrow. LI down to -7 and CAPE up to around 1500.

nmm_uk1-28-35-0_jvl7.png

Advertisement