Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Some good news. Conditions (at the moment) looking good for a fairly broad risk of some thunderstorms popping up tomorrow. LI down to -7 and CAPE up to around 1500.
    How does that forecast compare to the equivalent for last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

sumtings wrote: »
    How does that forecast compare to the equivalent for last night?

nmm_uk1-28-4-0.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

As Irish non events go that was epic.....

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Some good news. Conditions (at the moment) looking good for a fairly broad risk of some thunderstorms popping up tomorrow. LI down to -7 and CAPE up to around 1500.

Yeah don't like the look of that! Knowing the damage it could bring. Best watching from across the Irish sea.

sumtings wrote: »
    Yeah don't like the look of that! Knowing the damage it could bring. Best watching from across the Irish sea.

Wouldn't expect anything too severe here, certainly not anything like the huge storms the UK had last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Well I did see some lightning last night after but yeah

80,000+ strikes from those storms last night.

bbRGIIq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

What do you mean, i saw 1 lightening flash and heard 1 rumble of thunder, epic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

What do you mean, i saw 1 lightening flash and heard 1 rumble of thunder, epic ;)

Heard thunder and saw no flash - you lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Just a question for the experts here, how come with non stop lightning like in the UK the storm does not run out of steam after a short time, just how much electricity is in these monsters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Nice skew-t from Herstmonceux (southeastern England) in the thick of the action at 00Z showing an elevated mixed layer at 750 hPa and scope for huge CAPE from the warm humid layers lifted from above 950 hPa. Our problem was that we didn't have those layers to play with.

2015070400.03882.skewt.parc.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Aerohead wrote: »
    Just a question for the experts here, how come with non stop lightning like in the UK the storm does not run out of steam after a short time, just how much electricity is in these monsters

A lot of fuel at low levels and good support from upper levels, provided by that deep upper trough. The CAPE profile was pretty thick rather than thin so updrafts were very strong and able to sustain hail-generation longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

At this stage it might be a good idea seeing we're all so bad at forecasting to start a thread on whether it will be daylight tomorrow
    There's a fair chance we'd be right even on the timing and it might help with our confidence..

Met Eireann again spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Even though I was a child, I remember the talk about the 1985 storms, and the damage done by hail to crops and no power.
    It was deafening the noise of it off the roof along with the thunder.
    A Met Eireann rain recording station near me, about 2 to 3 miles away, recorded 21mm of rain in 15 minutes.

Probably what they got in the UK...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

nmm_uk1-28-35-0_jvl7.png[/QUOTE

If any storms develop will they be slow moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Lightning map for the past few days.
    What is it about the north see that keeps a lot of those big storms going?
    MyBlitzortungStrikeMap%2B%25282%2529.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Those lightning maps are highly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

The intensity and sheer number of strikes reminds me of the storms in Florida

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

lolie wrote: »
    Lightning map for the past few days.
    What is it about the north see that keeps a lot of those big storms going?
    MyBlitzortungStrikeMap%2B%25282%2529.jpg

If Scotland had a bit more white over it, it would look like the Snow map for winter to ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Huge storm stretched across the middle of France, very impressive. www.sat24.com, tick the box for lightning.

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    If any storms develop will they be slow moving?

You can see the speed of the cells here. It shows them popping up from around 1pm.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=3&mode=1&map=334

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

You can see the speed of the cells here. It shows them popping up from around 1pm.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=3&mode=1&map=334

Yeah looks great for pulse type cells , lack of shear though not giving them the full severe potential . Still may head somewhere like the Hill of Tara and set up for a nice timelapse ! :cool:

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Yeah looks great for pulse type cells , lack of shear though not giving them the full severe potential . Still may head somewhere like the Hill of Tara and set up for a nice timelapse ! :cool:

Reckon there's also a chance of some thundery showers tonight and early tomorrow morning, especially around southwest/south coasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Great capture of the approaching storm in the UK last night. Gets nice and loud later in the vid!

New Moon

Yellow on this precip chart in meant to indicate storms.

icon-10-29_vpm2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Iancar29 wrote: »

You think there'll be much up that side ian?
    My mother's going to the annual outdoor mass at lough crew.
    She says they seldom if ever get any rain at it.
    I warned her they might not be so lucky tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Hopefully the weather will be good for the Terenure Vintage Car Show tomorrow. The rain and possible thunderstorms can hold off until I get back home ;)

lolie wrote: »
    You think there'll be much up that side ian?
    My mother's going to the annual outdoor mass at lough crew.
    She says they seldom if ever get any rain at it.
    I warned her they might not be so lucky tomorrow.

Its in the area where the cells should track but most importantly you can see for miles from the of the hill itself , perfect viewing point . Itll be a now cast situation for what cells go where though..

• Advertisement

Hamburg webcam could get interesting soon. Severe cell heading right for it .
    http://www.earthcam.com/germany/hamburg/?cam=hamburg_hd

Advertisement