Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Caught this of a cell moving into Naas today

BF2FBD970DC149568A48D103E59EA9DE-0000334566-0003775910-00800L-1DFB7B4DEE044D67AAA57E1E599FCD1E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

189QRA9.png

ECM shows a lot less CAPE though so could be a complete bust.

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2015070706_201507060551_2_stormforecast.xml
    A warm sector develops slight CAPE, most of it elevated and over Ireland during the afternoon. There is enhanced SREH in GFS which may overlap with CAPE, as well as over 10 m/s 0-1 km shear and low LCLs. An isolated tornado may not be ruled out if a storm manages to form and organize.

Tony Gilbert:

4jy2zBV.jpg
    Mid Atlantic low pressure remains quasi stationary with continued unstable moist flow northwards across Ireland. Strong divergent upper jet stream overlays CAPE at front left exit region. Cold front expected to develop convective showers. Some of which might become thundery. DLS and LLS sufficient for storms to potentially develop an isolated tornado event as per map.Conditions look to peak in association with triple point north central region late afternoon just west of Omagh through to Cardonagh 16z-19z .My attention was drawn to this outlook by the NMM model predicting as much as 550 m2/s2 SRH values. This is quite a remarkable prediction.

Convective Weather UK :
    Full text discussion will be written on Monday morning - however, some upgrades may be required to parts of Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland if conditions continue to look favourable for low-topped supercells and perhaps a tornado given strong DLS/LLS, favourably-backed surface winds and curved hodographs.

Having said all that....CAPE values have been reduced on the latest model run compared to yesterdays more interesting charts. So, we'll see. But don't be shocked if a storm doesn't manage to get going at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2015070706_201507060551_2_stormforecast.xml

Tony Gilbert:

Convective Weather UK :

Having said all that....CAPE values have been reduced on the latest model run compared to yesterdays more interesting charts. So, we'll see. But don't be shocked if a storm doesn't manage to get going at all!

Shall be in the hospital this afternoon for blood tests so hopefully shall be home in time to monitor the situation . NW's NMM always seems to be more realistic with instability compared to the Meteociel version .

For what it's worth.

0E2Ma9W.png
    ... REPUBLIC OF IRELAND / NORTHERN IRELAND ...

In the wake of morning rainfall, advection of a warm, moist surface airmass (characterised by dewpoints of 15-17C) beneath the forward flank of an Atlantic upper trough will generate instability in the order of 300-700 Jkg-1 CAPE. Expect scattered showers and a few thunderstorms to form this afternoon across W/SW Ireland, moving/expanding NEwards with time towards Northern Ireland (particularly western parts) by evening. With the jet aloft, 40-50kts DLS will allow storms to become organised; indeed with a surface low to the west of Ireland, surface winds farther north will be increasingly backed, suggesting the potential for low-topped supercells. Rather low LCLs (given the high dewpoints) and strong LLS also increases the chance for a tornado, especially given very curved hodographs - particularly over northern parts of the SLGT where the best backed surface winds will be present.

Some small hail is possible, although rather moist profiles may limit the hail potential somewhat. Nevertheless, with PWAT 25-30mm, there will be a risk of localised flash flooding from slow-moving torrential downpours. Given our criteria for issuing a SVR threat level, have issued a SVR primarily for the isolated tornado threat (hence majority of area will technically remain below SVR threshold, given low point probability) and to a lesser extent for the risk of excessive rainfall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

2 people dead and 2 more badly burned after being struck by lightning in south Wales yesterday

Be careful out there!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-33401965

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

396,000 lightning strikes across Europe yesterday.
    Germany got around 300,000 of them.

I blame the Greek God Zeus...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some sort of a cell has developed over the cork coast there's no sferics but it's pretty obvious on the Sat

If something interesting does develop, looking at the models, I think development would start somewhere in the west/southwest around 2-4pm, gaining size and intensity as it heads north. We'll see.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Recent lightning strike showing up over Dublin north Kildare? http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Met.ie Hirlam has an area of interest over Donegal & the NW 'bout 7-8pm.

354344.PNG

I think this will come more in the form of an organised rain band but thunder would be a nice bonus.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Massive shower just over Galway City. Short but sharp!

ronnie3585 wrote: »

I was just going to say, thats the one that looks most interesting at the moment on the radar as a candidate for further development. We'll see....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Just wondering did I close the windows in the car when I finished my lunch....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

temps rising nicely in the clearance, up to 21 degrees in Shannon now.

Nice line developing up along the N17

Nice line developing up along the N17

Nothing but heavy rain at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just looking at met.ie weather radar and I can see some white patches showing. Is that 32mm/hr then? Over galway / tuam area.

32mm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Hal1 wrote: »
    Just looking at met.ie weather radar and I can see some white patches showing. Is that 32mm/hr then? Over galway / tuam area.

32mm.jpg

I noticed that too but looking at the Netweather radar it appears it not.
    http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

lolie wrote: »

Looks to be up to 38 mm/hr on that scale to me.
    No sparks though!

Looks to be up to 48 mm/hr on the latest update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

lolie wrote: »

Top rate of 32,8mm at 2.35pm as that passed through. Certainly looks intense looking as it slices up to my east over the last half hour with some really evil looking, fast moving low scud. These type of summer streamers can bring some really high totals locally within a short time scale.

354364.PNG

New Moon

Looks like its weakening now on the latest update. Some more showers popping up further south.

Localised but intense near Carrick on Shannon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Top rate of 32,8mm at 2.35pm as that passed through. Certainly looks intense looking as it slices up to my east over the last half hour with some really evil looking, fast moving low scud. These type of summer streamers can bring some really high totals locally within a short time scale.

354364.PNG

I just missed it and there was alot of scud hanging around so I couldn't get a decent shot of the back of it.

I think we would probably have seen some electrical activity by now if those convective forecasts were to verify.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

That storm that blew through Galway earlier weakened for a bit but it has really intensified north of Carrick on Shannon now

Quite suspicious shape to this cell , looks like a supercell but surprised it has no lightning markers on it yet.
    354378.png

If it takes on a hook echo in the next while maybe so.

Hal1 wrote: »
    If it takes on a hook echo in the next while maybe so.

Theres already one in that radar grab!

• Advertisement

That comma section at the end oh. Does it look more defined now though?

Advertisement