Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Nice line developing up along the N17

It surprised me to see this as there was only one harmless shower of rain earlier in Tuam!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hal1 wrote: »
    That comma section at the end oh. Does it look more defined now though?
    This is the best defined in the last half hour
    354381.png

Latest
    354383.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Looks to be up to 38 mm/hr on that scale to me.
    No sparks though!

Looks to be up to 48 mm/hr on the latest update.

Fair enough, looking at oneirics post it obviously was.
    It had none of the brighter intense echos that were in some of yesterday's showers, i shouldve look closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Latest
    354383.png

Is that hook the wrong way round? :P

Looks like a couple of showers behind it are gaining intensity now too. Kinda surprised we didn't even get one sferic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

These cells have the look of hail producers, current cell developing around Lough Allen moving north to northeast will be over sparsely populated western Cavan next half hour but could remain active to Eniskillen area around 7 p.m. if we have any readers or chasers near those locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Is that hook the wrong way round? :P

Looks like a couple of showers behind it are gaining intensity now too. Kinda surprised we didn't even get one sferic.

I think you spoke too soon. Strike showing on netweather, just the one!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Strike detected now around Omagh/Tyrone area. http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&page_0=12

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Wonder will anything become of what looks like a squall line heading NE with the lower part coming out of Galway.

w0t6i1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I think we're done here for this episode. One strike close to Omagh was a bit under-whelming .

Edit: apologies, I think there was something wrong with my browser. I see there are multiple strikes showing up now as it passed over NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

According to lighteningmaps.org the whole of Europe is gone very quiet where thunderstorms are concerned. But the United States and Mexico have a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

It's the usual case with those areas. Plenty of storms everyday for the last few weeks. The states are the place to be it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

End of days look to be heading towards athlone. Almost like a scene out of Twister out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

We've had a couple of big heavy showers here in Cavan. No thunder :(
    Hoping something crops up before bedtime. It's very humid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

I can't believe there wasn't a lot more lightning from them showers, some impressive radar echos earlier.
    Passed through a torrential downpour about 10 o'clock on the way home.
    Yet half an hour earlier it hadn't even started showing on the radar.
    Pity no sparks from it:(

354436.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Germany and France are having a good show. AGAIN..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Very heavy downpours currently in the Arklow area
    No thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Not really seeing much thundery potential for the foreseeable future in these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Germany has been the place to be again, intense thunderstorms.
    #RevengeofZeus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

RobertKK wrote: »
    #RevengeofZeus

A few rememants pushing into Strasbourg , france. the last hour or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Managed to record most of the severe thunderstorm we had here in London Friday night, haven't had time to look through it yet but I put together a quick video of when the thunder was at its loudest, annoyingly a lot of the thunder came out all distorted but gives an idea of the intensity at least. The loudest rumble was at 3:26 but for some reason the video didn't pick it up right and just goes silent half way through

And apologies for the swearing at the 1:55 mark, sounded like a bomb going off in the bedroom :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

RobertKK wrote: »
    #RevengeofZeus

Some good action here in Switzerland also. Not as intense as Germany by the looks of things, but a fairly nice storm ongoing at the moment. Here is the current setup:

njUYO2m.png

Got some on video, will try to upload tomorrow. Finding it hard to sleep between the heat and the constant flashing / rumbling :P

EDIT: Still from one of said videos:

caGECfu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

That lot headed up into poland this morning. Some fantastic lightening and much needed rain. Water buts all topped up, but still hot here currently 32. Peaked at 39 on monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Hal1 wrote: »

Ah yeah, sure everyone knows the best way to get away from a tornado is to drive some distance towards it and attempt to cross it's path at close range.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If you read the comments at the end of that page someone translated it.
    SpringSprung
    Dennis Mersereau
    7/08/15 4:16pm

For those of you who don't speak Italian: "Put the car in reverse you ****ing idiot!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Good video of the action on http://www.independent.ie/videos/world-news/video-fatal-tornado-rips-through-venice-31364568.html
    Balls to the wall stuff of the guy chasing the tornado in his car near the end of the footage, thought he really was a bit close!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement